TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page How was Jesus not a HUMAN SACRIFICE?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#61) Old
BANNED

christnow acts like a tree huggin' hippychristnow acts like a tree huggin' hippy
March 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Reign View Post
I've changed the parts I disagree with, mainly removing the emotive language, as you don't seem to have grasped this point.

"Human blood sacrifices are when the deity (as is believed) cannot
1. forgive or
2. assist or
3. grant power, etc.
unless a human being is killed, i.e. offered to the deity. The sacrifice effectively empowers the deity to act.

The Christian concept of the sacrifice of Jesus is similar except that
only an unblemished person can qualify as a sacrifice. God himself provided Jesus for mankind because no man would ordinarily have qualified, thus leaving the world in a continual state of enmity with God. By providing Jesus, God effectively ended, once and for all, the need for human sacrifice, thus freeing mankind from his obligation to God."

I would add that it was always God's purpose to do this and it was never his purpose that sacrifices should be necessary.
Okay, now I'm not asking you if you agree with the definition. But if human blood sacrifice is defined as this...

"Human blood sacrifices are when an angry god refuses to forgive unless some innocent human dies a horrible bloody death."

According to that definition, is Jesus a human blood sacrifice?

(#62) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
March 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christnow View Post
Okay, now I'm not asking you if you agree with the definition. But if human blood sacrifice is defined as this...

"Human blood sacrifices are when an angry god refuses to forgive unless some innocent human dies a horrible bloody death."

According to that definition, is Jesus a human blood sacrifice?
I can't really answer that because I don't agree with that definition. What I will say though is that in OT theology, it is not the fall of Adam that is the most significant in establishing the relationship between man and God but the Flood. The point of the flood is that God had had enough of man. (I wouldn't describe this as anger - the text says simply that God regretted that he had made man) but that through the one offering made by Noah, God relented and decided he would never again cause a catastrophic disaster to come upon man.

Jesus is of course a type of Noah but my point would be that God, through Noah, had already accommodated himself to the fact that humankind was a bad egg. It no longer makes sense to say that he was angry. His anger against mankind as a whole was assuaged in Noah. The purpose of Christ was to do a better job than Noah could do by reconciling men to God.

Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
Nimrod: We don't have the manuscripts of where the KJV got the text.
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone

(#63) Old
BANNED

christnow acts like a tree huggin' hippychristnow acts like a tree huggin' hippy
March 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Reign View Post
I can't really answer that because I don't agree with that definition. What I will say though is that in OT theology, it is not the fall of Adam that is the most significant in establishing the relationship between man and God but the Flood. The point of the flood is that God had had enough of man. (I wouldn't describe this as anger - the text says simply that God regretted that he had made man) but that through the one offering made by Noah, God relented and decided he would never again cause a catastrophic disaster to come upon man.

Jesus is of course a type of Noah but my point would be that God, through Noah, had already accommodated himself to the fact that humankind was a bad egg. It no longer makes sense to say that he was angry. His anger against mankind as a whole was assuaged in Noah. The purpose of Christ was to do a better job than Noah could do by reconciling men to God.
I understand fully that you do not agree with that definition.

I just want to have a good communication between me and you, so answer...

If that is the definition, though you think it is not, was Jesus a human blood sacrifice then?