TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page The Bible alone would never make ME (and many others) a Christian... we need a CHURCH
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
TOL Legend

TruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enough
The Bible alone would never make ME (and many others) a Christian... we need a CHURCH - April 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM

I believe it is Numbers 31:17

that is where God (apparently) tells the Isrealites to kill everyone in some town, even children

In a way i understand it... but in a way i do not...

I can u/stand God not wanting His chosen people to be polluted by the (dosnt say this but) demon worhsipers they were fighting against...

and i suppose demons attach themselves to children, so that may be why they had to be gotten rid of...

still, this is a passage i cannot fully accept... though i accept 99% of the Bible ... so... uh... 99% is pretty good, but God knew we humans would desire 100%...

and that is why he started, with Jesus Christ, an infallible Church

the Holy Roman Catholic Church

(#2) Old
TOL Subscriber

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers
April 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM

You have been brainwashed.

Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

(#3) Old
Over 2500 post club

One In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peersOne In Christ is well respected by his peers
April 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM

RCC is far from infallible...

ಠ_ಠ

(#4) Old
:doh:

Lon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peers
Lon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peers
April 14th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthSetsFree View Post

that is where God (apparently) tells the Isrealites to kill everyone in some town, even children

I can u/stand God not wanting His chosen people to be polluted by the (dosnt say this but) demon worhsipers they were fighting against...

and i suppose demons attach themselves to children, so that may be why they had to be gotten rid of...

still, this is a passage i cannot fully accept... though i accept 99% of the Bible ... so... uh... 99% is pretty good, but God knew we humans would desire 100%...

I would not speak against your church here. It isn't pertinent to the conversation for me and I understand where you are coming from.

Let me look with you toward the larger concern:
Israel killing children.
It is the ugly side of war. Every war that was ever fought, that I know of, had child casualties and on the magnitude of infanticide in a great many of them.
Saddam Hussein killed hundreds and bulldozed them over, so even our current war is touched by this attrocity.

I don't know why Israel had to kill children, perhaps the army couldn't take care of them, leaving for their next battle as they were committed. Leaving children after war, would amount to thier suffering and slow deaths. The place Israel's army conquered was supposed to then be inhabitable by their families, so kids would be a difficult prospect, especially back then, I'd think. Ancient cultures, values, and war are different than our laws and norms.

Omniscient without man's say or qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
No possible limitation other than in man's wishful finite inanity Isaiah
40:25 Joshua 24:15
Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. *************************************

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

(#5) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

meshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputation
April 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keypurr View Post
All trin church people are brain washed. RCC and the rest of the trin churches are hostile. That's why they dont have any qualm approving killing their enemy against Jesus' command.

They are both worldly Christians.

(#6) Old
Silver Member

Robert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peersRobert Pate is well respected by his peers
April 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Your "Holy Roman Catholic Church" has mutilated and killed tens of thousands of Christians. Source: "Foxe's Book of Martyers"

(#7) Old
TOL Subscriber

HisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peersHisServant is well respected by his peers
April 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Jesus never started a church... and that is good enough for me.

But if you are weak and dumb and cannot believe and depend on Jesus, who am I to stop you?

FYI, Jesus would probably slap you in the face you if said his church was based in rome... his mortal enemy... Jesus was Jewish afterall, and Rome was occupying Israel.. and did some pretty nasty things to his temple.

If Jesus did actually start a church (and he didn't, he started an ekklesia)... it would have been in Jerusalem, and still be there.

(#8) Old

Eeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peers
April 14th, 2012, 10:13 PM

@Truthsetsfree .... It gains me nothing to get into a debate about the legitimacy of any particular religious hierarchy. Each condemns all others and either one is correct or none.

Nonetheless contrast for just a few moments the life Jesus lived with that of the Pope. Which healed thousands and which wears diamonds?

(#9) Old
TOL Subscriber

Bradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respectedBradley D is well respected
April 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM

Many people do not like what God demanded of the Israelites when they were to take the land God had given them. There was a reason.

"That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God" (Deut. 20:18).

That is part of the Old Covenant. We now live under a New Covenant.

The Catholic Church is not infallible. History proves that. I do not believe any denomination is totally infallible. The Church is not a denomination. It is the people. The temple of God resides within the Christian. Denominations are just institutions designed to make it possbile for Christians to gather together. The Apostles met in houses. The early Church in catacombs. I do not like denominations all that much. They start becoming institutionalized. Money for buildings and other expenses become more important than the people. I won't say they do not do any good, but the Christian spirit seems to be dimmer.

(#10) Old
Over 4000 post club

This Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peersThis Charming Manc is well respected by his peers
April 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM

I actually agree with you that removing the church from your understanding of the bible is a dangerous thing.

However I also believe that removing the bible from your understanding of church is also a dangerous thing.

The catholic church has done this over the centuries and has felt free to put its traditions and interpretations on a level footing or above scripture.

This, its a inaccurate and false claims on apostolic succession, its savage history in persecution Christian believers mean that I cannot and will never see it as the infallible institution that determines spiritual truth.

Unlike many protestants I value many of the good Christians within the catholic church, I also think protestant have thrown the baby out with the bathwater on some subjects, and there are still things we can learn from our catholic brethren.

But when you start saying our church is the only true church, or that only we have the truth. I start heading for the door.

(#11) Old
TOL Subscriber

Mike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputation
April 15th, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
The Bible alone would never make ME (and many others) a Christian... we need a CHURCH
Luke 16:29-31
Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The commandment from Numbers 31:17 came through Moses' lips. So, how can you say the Bible alone is not enough? If it is not enough, then let God send multitudes of the dead as a witness.

James 3:17
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

(#12) Old
TOL Legend

TruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enough
April 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keypurr View Post
ha ha... that's intersting coming from you... someone outside Christ's Church...

someone too cowardly to even take an RCIA class to find out the truth about the RCC... would rather be lazy and belive lies/distortions taught by current pastor...

(#13) Old
TOL Legend

April 17th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
@Truthsetsfree .... It gains me nothing to get into a debate about the legitimacy of any particular religious hierarchy. Each condemns all others and either one is correct or none.

Nonetheless contrast for just a few moments the life Jesus lived with that of the Pope. Which healed thousands and which wears diamonds?
i will believe he wears diamonds when i either see it or read about it from a reliable source... I will not even consider what antiCahtolics say ...

and the pope lives in a simple apt @ the Vatican, which, last time i heard didn't even have A/C

a table, a bed, a lamp and that is about it...

you, undoubtedly, live like a king in comparison...

but keep believing what antiCatholic bigots tell u about the RCC... keep being lazy about investigating things 4 yourself... keep ignoring the fact that protestant ministers have something to lose by you investigating the RCC... etc... etc

(#14) Old
TOL Legend

April 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
Luke 16:29-31
Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The commandment from Numbers 31:17 came through Moses' lips. So, how can you say the Bible alone is not enough? If it is not enough, then let God send multitudes of the dead as a witness.
did u read the OP?? doesn't seem like it...

there is no way i could beleive some things in the Bible - and i have read the entire thing, unlike most people @ the forums - but i have no trouble believing the Bible when reading it in the context of... where it belongs.. in the Church

I have questions, but as someone once said... 1000 questions do not = one doubt...

especially when we have the Real PResence of Christ in the Church 24/7

so much easier to believe in a person when you spend time with Him

(#15) Old
TOL Legend

April 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Charming Manc View Post
I actually agree with you that removing the church from your understanding of the bible is a dangerous thing.

However I also believe that removing the bible from your understanding of church is also a dangerous thing.

The catholic church has done this over the centuries and has felt free to put its traditions and interpretations on a level footing or above scripture.

door.
this is as far as i got..

the Catholic Church is where i learned about the Bible... was inspired to read it...

again, until people here study Catholicism from a Catholic (practicing C) i will not put much credence in what thye are saying... it all sound like a bunch of hateful hot air to me... like ignorance @ Warp 10