TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Yorzhik's new flock
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#1) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
Yorzhik's new flock - April 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Hey Yorzhik
Your chicks are hatching today. I am going to try real hard to get them to you as soon as I can so that they are still cute and fuzzy when they arrive. This hen was siting on 13 eggs. 8 or 9 of which have already hatched. Mrs. Delmar's count was different than mine. We should know by tomorrow how many more are going to make it out alive.

The other broody gave up a day early for some reason and all the eggs were cold when I found her off the nest. There is still a chance for 2 of the duck eggs though because I had another hen go broody last week and transferred 2 eggs to her nest. They are now, a day over due though, so I am not holding my breath.

Your friendly neighborhood Super Moderator!

(#2) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peers
April 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM

They look fantastic!

I'll have to get serious about finishing the coop.

Good things come to those who shoot straight.

Did you only want evidence you are not going to call "wrong"? -Stripe

(#3) Old
Proverbs 31:10

ebenz47037 is well respected by his peers
ebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peers
April 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Wish I lived close enough to one of you guys so that I could get a coop built and start my own flock of chickens.

June is Gay Pride Month. Tolerance and diversity? More like tolerate perversity.

Vegetarian - Indian word for lousy hunter

(#4) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
April 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorzhik View Post
They look fantastic!

I'll have to get serious about finishing the coop.
The chickens don't care much about the coop

(#5) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peersYorzhik is well respected by his peers
May 20th, 2012, 07:34 AM

Tragedy struck. A chick died a couple days ago, but it had been injured a few days earlier by an accident and we thought it had died of its injuries, in a latent way, because it had seemed to recover completely.

But then, the next day, another chick and the mamma hen were also dead.

We don't know what killed them. There was no warning, none of the signs I read at backyard chickens were present. They were all checked the night before and seemed healthy, but the next morning they were gone.

We moved the coop and gave them fresh straw, food, and water. This morning they were all accounted for. I hope it stays that way.

(#6) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

May 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Tragedy struck. A chick died a couple days ago, but it had been injured a few days earlier by an accident and we thought it had died of its injuries, in a latent way, because it had seemed to recover completely.

But then, the next day, another chick and the mamma hen were also dead.

We don't know what killed them. There was no warning, none of the signs I read at backyard chickens were present. They were all checked the night before and seemed healthy, but the next morning they were gone.

We moved the coop and gave them fresh straw, food, and water. This morning they were all accounted for. I hope it stays that way.
Bummer!
So you are down to one adult hen? How are the babies doing without mama?

(#7) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

May 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
Bummer!
So you are down to one adult hen? How are the babies doing without mama?
2 adult hens. The babies seem to be doing fine. I guess as long as they know how to eat and drink they should be able to make it. And they sure seem able to eat and drink with no trouble.

(#8) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

May 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
2 adult hens. The babies seem to be doing fine. I guess as long as they know how to eat and drink they should be able to make it. And they sure seem able to eat and drink with no trouble.
I'm guessing, by now, they are able to stay warm at night by huddling together.

(#9) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

May 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing, by now, they are able to stay warm at night by huddling together.
Especially when the nights are as warm as they are.

(#10) Old
Over 6000 post club

Alate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peersAlate_One is well respected by his peers
May 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenz47037 View Post
Wish I lived close enough to one of you guys so that I could get a coop built and start my own flock of chickens.
Chickens are cheap. At this time of year (better a bit earlier) you can buy chicks at most tractor supply stores and a few others. In addition you can mail order from a variety of hatcheries.

We may have to give our flock away soon since our neighbor decided to be a jerk about our girls. They're currently hanging out in the garage which is non-ideal. We're thinking of moving to the country where people will leave us alone and we can get a rooster.

“We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

What Darwin Never Knew

(#11) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

May 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
Chickens are cheap. At this time of year (better a bit earlier) you can buy chicks at most tractor supply stores and a few others. In addition you can mail order from a variety of hatcheries.

We may have to give our flock away soon since our neighbor decided to be a jerk about our girls. They're currently hanging out in the garage which is non-ideal. We're thinking of moving to the country where people will leave us alone and we can get a rooster.
Since I've been able to move out of town, I've wondered why I didn't do it sooner.

(#12) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

May 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post

I love our roosters, but Yorzhik is not convinced that he wants one! I do admit that there are some mornings that Mrs Delmar does not love out roosters!

(#13) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

May 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I love our roosters, but Yorzhik is not convinced that he wants one! I do admit that there are some mornings that Mrs Delmar does not love out roosters!
I might be cool with a roo if the flock starts growing.

(#14) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

May 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I might be cool with a roo if the flock starts growing.
I will tell you that a roo is the first line of defense against predators! Especially if you don't have a dog!

(#15) Old
Silver Member

chatmaggot is well respected by his peers
chatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peers
May 20th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenz47037 View Post
You don't need to live in the country to have chickens. I live in the city and have 6 hens in the backyard.

fidelis usque ad mortem