TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Should a christian conform to unbiblical church standards?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
Journeyman

Disciple_of_christ will become famous soon enoughDisciple_of_christ will become famous soon enough
Should a christian conform to unbiblical church standards? - April 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM

I attend a oneness Pentecostal church, who believe in "Holiness standards." I plan to give a testimony on the pulpit but because of my long hair, they require me to cut it. I don't agree with their standards, but 1 Corinthians 9 says that it is best for a christian to "become weak to gain the weak" (1 cor. 9:22.) However, the bible says "do not conform to the customs of this world" and Jesus said "Why do ye transgress god's commandments with your traditions?" I see no where in the bible where it says that long hair on men have anything to do with holiness, unless it is grown for selfish reasons. My intention is not to be selfish yet if i conform to the church standards, i also don't want to "please men rather than god" since god has no commandment against long hair on men and i don't consider it loving to conform to traditions. To me, its like trying to "Dishonestly gain souls." Because "Where the spirit of the lord is, there is liberty" (2 cor. 3:17), i believe that god wants a sincere relationship and the appearance of a person does not matter. What are your thoughts?

(#2) Old
TOL Legend

Cruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peers
Post April 29th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_christ View Post
Should a christian conform to unbiblical church standards? I attend a oneness Pentecostal church...
Honestly, if you hold to a Oneness view of Jesus Christ, you have far bigger problems than worrying about your sect's holiness standards.

For more information, see here, here, here, and here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

"The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)