TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page How do you read a book?
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#46) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

steko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peers
steko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
I think the part in bold is a key point. I'll read a book on a particular topic and then move on to something else. I don't engage the topic I just read about and I can't retain it. But if you focus on a topic consistently for a while and have conversation about it, it can really help cement it in the mind. I think part of my problem is a lack of patience.
Yes...usage is the key to retention.

As far as marking books go. Books are my tools and not something to look pretty on a shelf. I use a ruler when I underline and always use a 'Bic' pen, black. I use different shades of underlining by lightly underlining, heavy underlining, or extra-heavy by thickening the lines. I try to keep it very neat for my own benefit. I also use margin brackets [ ] on particularly important points, sometimes I write page number references in the margin to other places in the book and sometimes references to pages in other books.

The 'Bic' pen doesn't bleed through too bad, but the little ball bearing tends to wear on the ruler or straight edge and results in a leaky pen over time. I keep a paper towel or tissue handy to wipe the pen and the ruler frequently to avoid smears.

I use the 'Bic' in my Bibles, which have very thin pages. You gotta' be careful there or it will bleed through.

'Sharpies' and such are not satisfactory to me for underlining.

Sometimes I use a pencil to underline, so I can erase, if needed.

A No. 1 pencil is soft and leaves a darker line with less pressure.

(#47) Old
TOL Subscriber

Arthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peers
Arthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
So you're the reason the bunny fiction genre stays alive.
Are you denying that 'Watership Down' is a classic in literature?

Well this is fun isn't it?

(#48) Old
Blessed is the man that......

Psalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peers
Psalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM

I agree, great question.

I read very little fiction. Simply because there wasn't much that I'm drawn to. I have read the Narnia series, interesting, and those I liked, however when I do read fiction it is simple stories that I can share with our grand kids and great grand kids.

I like to read biographies, and literary works and poetry, some history.

I read Bible commentaries most on the Psalms; some sermons by the long since dead ministers, but can be difficult to read straight through.

My favorite read is John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" which I read once a year.

I do like reading, for me it's quieting, and helps my memory to stay healthy, at least I think it does.

When I do find a new read, I'll look a couple of reviews, then check the out read the cover sleeve information, the forward and acknowledgement if there is one.

First read is straight through, the second read is to write in a companion notebook comments on what I've read and noting the page numbers and some of my own reader comments.

If it a book that especially like I'll by a second copy to mark in and highlight still using my notebook method. It's the same way with paper backs if the hardbound book is too expensive, and if the paper back is exceptional I'll buy two copies, yes one I can markup and highlight.

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
.....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia