TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Can Protestants Unite with the Pope?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#31) Old
TOL Legend

serpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
"Nobody will be saying goodbye to me; I've already made appropriate arrangements."
"You are free to choose. You are not free not to choose. No choice is a choice. You are free to choose but you are not free to choose the consequences of that choice." ~ Adrian Rogers

Quote:
"I've neither seen nor spoken to a member of my family in almost three decades. I don't even know which of them are alive or dead, and am not particularly interested in finding out."
People care about you (2 Cor 5:11).

"You know, we're living in a society!" ~ George Costanza, Seinfeld

What's new?
PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.

Last edited by serpentdove; May 2nd, 2012 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: post error

(#32) Old
TOL Legend

serpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I aint no monkey View Post
You need Jesus Gerald, that's all there is to it.
They think, "I can't be like those saccharine sweet Christians." They think they have too much that is "good" to loose (Jn 8:34). In reality, what we have is sweeter (Ps 34:8). The Bible doesn't say, "taste and see if the Lord is good". It says, "taste and see that the Lord is good".

What's new?
PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.

Last edited by serpentdove; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: typo

(#33) Old
Resident Fiend

Gerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You need Jesus Greald, that's all there is to it.
You just say that because I'm always mean to you, and you are convinced that Jesus will make me be nice to you.

Why is it imperative that I be nice to you, monkey?

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

--Weinberg's Second Law

(#34) Old
Resident Fiend

Gerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peersGerald is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentdove View Post
"You are free to choose. You are not free not to choose. No choice is a choice. You are free to choose but you are not free to choose the consequences of that choice." ~ Adrian Rogers
I'm well aware of the consequences of my choices; if I wasn't I wouldn't have made the choices I did.
Quote:
People care about you (2 Cor 5:11).
You keep saying that. What response from me are you fishing for?
Quote:
"You know, we're living in a society!" ~ George Costanza
Who is George Costanza, and why should I care what he says?

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

--Weinberg's Second Law

(#35) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM

you will not see churches reunite
but
you are already seeing many individual protestants becoming Catholic

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#36) Old
TOL Subscriber

HisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputation
May 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
but
You are also seeing a max exodus of Catholics to protestantism or just leaving the faith altogether in the west.

Attendance has dropped so bad where I live that the diocese is consolidating churches and schools... which is causing more people to leave.

Go figure.

(#37) Old
TOL Subscriber

HisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputationHisServant has a large reputation
May 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthSetsFree View Post

it just stands to reason that Mary would have to be pure (dedicated to GOD alone) She was a temple virgin... from what i have gathered... dedicated to virginity and to God alone...

her womb had to be absolutely PURE to have GOD in it..

she was conceived in the normal way, yet without original sin... Jesus saved her before she was conceived... Surely God is capable of such??

i mean, she wasn't the 1st human conceived w/o original sin (Adam and Eve were)
This line of thinking really trivializes and handicaps God and I find it disgusting actually.

God didn't need Mary to be anything before he caused her to conceive. Mary could have been any of the thousands of virgins that fulfilled the prophesy laid down in the Old Testament.

Mary did not need to be sinless in order for Jesus to be sinless... to think otherwise is to think God is basically powerless.

God has used many sinful people for good, and Mary was one of them. We also know that she sinned multiple times while dealing with Jesus (tempting him to turn the water into wine for example)... etc.

In the end, you, like your Roman Pagan forebears (see Diana (artimis) the perpetual virgin as an example.. who gave birth, but the Gods granted her perpetual virginity afterwards) are into virgin worship and you will do anything in your power to make it so.

Mary married Joseph.. they had sex.. they had other kids.. get over it, it is just plain natural and would have been REQUIRED of Mary by Jewish law and custom. If she didn't, she would have been sinning also. So go figure.

The amount of illogical gymnastics you need to go through to believe what your church believes about Mary qualifies as PURE INSANITY.

(#38) Old
TOL Legend

Cruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peers
Post May 1st, 2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisServant View Post
You are also seeing a max exodus of Catholics to protestantism...
Already answered here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

"The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

(#39) Old
TOL Subscriber

TruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enough
May 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
That's a new one on me, Mary never sinned? Then why did she need salvation? In Luke 1:47 she called God her savior.
because anything human needed salvation after the Fall

and she was conceived i n the usual way

(#40) Old
TOL Subscriber

TruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enoughTruthSetsFree will become famous soon enough
May 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
but
i heard ... as of several yrs ago

that the RCC was the fasted growing Church in the world... doesn't surprise me

people are getting tired of all the liberalism... just do whatever u want thinking...

OSAS... So unbiblical... demonic...

(#41) Old
TOL Subscriber

May 1st, 2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruciform View Post
Already answered here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Nope... the RCC hides the amount of members its hemorrhaging (bad PR you know).

People don't trust their priests, bishops, cardinals and pope anymore.

2/3rd of the professing Catholics that I know of in this office are now attending an episcopal church simply because they do not want to see their donations being paid out as compensation for the priest abuse trials.

It also doesn't hurt that 2 people in this office had their children abused by priests.. and word travels fast here.

(#42) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
You are also seeing a max exodus of Catholics to protestantism or just leaving the faith altogether in the west.
Hmmm...

Washington D.C., Feb 21, 2010 / 07:47 am (CNA).- The Catholic Church’s membership in the United States grew at the “robust” rate of about 1.5 percent in 2008, according to National Council of Churches’ (NCC) new 2010 Yearbook of American & Canadian Churches.

A slight loss in Catholic membership in the U.S. was reported in the 2009 Yearbook, but the NCC said the latest figure shows “robust growth.” The figures come from 2008 statistics. The growth outpaces the estimated U.S. population growth rate in 2008, listed as 0.9 percent, according to the CIA World Factbook.

There are now an estimated 68.1 million Catholics in the United States.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, whose members are known as Mormons, grew 1.7 percent to almost 5.9 million members. The Assemblies of God grew 1.3 percent to about 2.9 million.

Other denominations lost membership.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...w_report_says/

Sorry about your denomination.

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

(#43) Old
TOL Legend

Cruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peersCruciform is well respected by his peers
Post May 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisServant View Post
the RCC hides the amount of members its hemorrhaging (bad PR you know).
Documentation, please. (Unless this is simply another imaginative conspiracy theory of yours...)

Quote:
People don't trust their priests, bishops, cardinals and pope anymore.
Of course, the fact is that you have no idea whatsoever what the 1.3 billion Catholics in the world think about anything at all, much less about the Church's leadership.

Quote:
2/3rd of the professing Catholics that I know of...
Completely irrelevant.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

"The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

(#44) Old
TOL Legend

May 2nd, 2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
[People care about you (2 Cor 5:11).] "You keep saying that. What response from me are you fishing for?"
You're deceived (Ga 5:9). You need the expulsive power of a new affection.

See:

The Expulsive Power of a New Affection by Thomas Chalmers

Loving God with all of your Heart Pt 1 of 26 by Darrell Ferguson

You said that you are estranged from your family. Out of curiosity, are they the bad ones or are you? It's a trick question (Ro 3:12).

Quote:
Who is George Costanza...
Do you know Newman?

"You're a useless pustule." Mt 25:30 ~ Newman, Seinfeld

What's new?

Last edited by serpentdove; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: post error

(#45) Old
Over 750 post club

I aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respected
May 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
You just say that because I'm always mean to you, and you are convinced that Jesus will make me be nice to you.

Why is it imperative that I be nice to you, monkey?
Not even my fellow Christians are nice to me all the time. That's not the point. The point is you need to become a new creature for your own sake. If you say that you don't care about yourself then you are mistaken because you care enough to want to stay the way you are.