TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion > Exclusively Christian Theology
Reload this Page ECT: Interesting Arguement
Exclusively Christian Theology This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.

(#1) Old
Over 500 post club

organiccornflake is making a name for themselvesorganiccornflake is making a name for themselvesorganiccornflake is making a name for themselvesorganiccornflake is making a name for themselvesorganiccornflake is making a name for themselvesorganiccornflake is making a name for themselvesorganiccornflake is making a name for themselves
Interesting Arguement - April 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM

I recently stumbled upon an argument against Christianity saying that god does not exist, because the bible describes him as all merciful and completely Just.

How can a god be both wholly just and merciful, if mercy is the suspension of justice?

It may just be semantics and word play, but an interesting arguement nonetheless. What are your thoughts?

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if it turns out they are right and get mad at you, they are a mile away and barefoot.

(#2) Old
Over 5000 post club

Wile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peersWile E. Coyote is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organiccornflake View Post
I recently stumbled upon an argument against Christianity saying that god does not exist, because the bible describes him as all merciful and completely Just.

How can a god be both wholly just and merciful, if mercy is the suspension of justice?

It may just be semantics and word play, but an interesting arguement nonetheless. What are your thoughts?
Justice and mercy kissed each other in the death of Christ.

(#3) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
the bible describes him as all merciful and completely Just.
Where is the passage that says God is "all merciful"?

Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

(#4) Old
TOL Subscriber

Clete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Mercy is not the suspension of justice.

The argument falls on that false premise.

If God could suspend justice then He would not have had to die in our place.

Resting in Him,
Clete

http://www.theologyonline.com/cletesig.jpg

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Is Open Theism Christian Theism?

(#5) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

steko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peers
steko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Rom 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

GOD doesn't just turn His head and let us off. He is immutably just and His justice was carried out in punishing our sin on the cross.

(#6) Old
TOL Legend

genuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peers
April 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM

Deuteronomy 7:9-10
9Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
10And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.

Learn to read what is written.

(#7) Old
TOL Legend

Letsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputation
May 1st, 2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:

There is NO DARKNESS IN GOD AT ALL ( PERIOD ) --- 1 John 1:5 KJV – “This then is the message which we have HEARD OF HIM, AND DECLARE UNTO YOU, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all”. -------//--- How do you geniuses turn total Light into wrath, evil and DARKNESS!! - You must be truly smart people!!!! ---- GOD IS LIGHT AND THERE IS NO DARKNESS IN HIM “AT ALL”!! --- It’s impossible to be SSOOO foolish!!! – It’s NOT GOD that is the darkness or the vengeance and wrath!! - MAN TURNS THE LIGHT into the WRATH AND VENGEANCE OF GOD – It’s the man that is THE WRATH AND VENGEANCE!! - Didn’t you hear GOD????? --- Matthew 7:1-2 KJV – 1- “Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2- For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, ((( “I-T” / “IT” / “IT” ))) shall be measured to you (( AGAIN ))”. ------//--- GOD SAID TO “LOVE” because He is LOVE, AND MAN SMITES, - and by the Law of God, the man gets SMITTEN!! – It’s the man that turns the love into death, not GOD!!!

Paul – 050112

---Gal. 4:16.
---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

(#8) Old
Come at me Bro.

TomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peers
TomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete View Post
Mercy is not the suspension of justice.

The argument falls on that false premise.

If God could suspend justice then He would not have had to die in our place.

Resting in Him,
Clete
^^^
This X2

Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
~Leonard Cohen

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.
~Ted Nugent

(#9) Old
TOL Subscriber

Clete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsargue View Post
There is NO DARKNESS IN GOD AT ALL ( PERIOD ) --- 1 John 1:5 KJV – “This then is the message which we have HEARD OF HIM, AND DECLARE UNTO YOU, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all”. -------//--- How do you geniuses turn total Light into wrath, evil and DARKNESS!! - You must be truly smart people!!!! ---- GOD IS LIGHT AND THERE IS NO DARKNESS IN HIM “AT ALL”!! --- It’s impossible to be SSOOO foolish!!! – It’s NOT GOD that is the darkness or the vengeance and wrath!! - MAN TURNS THE LIGHT into the WRATH AND VENGEANCE OF GOD – It’s the man that is THE WRATH AND VENGEANCE!! - Didn’t you hear GOD????? --- Matthew 7:1-2 KJV – 1- “Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2- For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, ((( “I-T” / “IT” / “IT” ))) shall be measured to you (( AGAIN ))”. ------//--- GOD SAID TO “LOVE” because He is LOVE, AND MAN SMITES, - and by the Law of God, the man gets SMITTEN!! – It’s the man that turns the love into death, not GOD!!!

Paul – 050112
Jesus was talking to hypocrites in the "do not judge" passage. To everyone else He says...
John 7:24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”
Resting in Him,
Clete

http://www.theologyonline.com/cletesig.jpg

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Is Open Theism Christian Theism?

(#10) Old
Over 5000 post club

One Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peers
May 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Justice demands a price. Jesus paid the price for those on whom God has mercy. Everybody else pays it on their own. There is no suspension.

(#11) Old
TOL Legend

Letsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputationLetsargue has a large reputation
May 2nd, 2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete View Post
Jesus was talking to hypocrites in the "do not judge" passage. To everyone else He says...
John 7:24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”
Resting in Him,
Clete

Come on!!! – Does your little trick make void what I said? Or is it your custom to just say that anything can nullify anything you want it to nullify!!! Jesus said a LOT OF STUFF, and He also didn’t say a LOT OF STUFF. – SO, let me do this to your stuff, > GOD said that in the BEGINNING was the Word, and that Word was JESUS. Therefore, the Voice of Jesus said what I said before you SOOO foolishly tried to correct me with your own trick. Or am I wrong!!! – The Truth has always been, and YOU CANNOT NULLIFY IT WITH ANY OTHER TRUTH!! – Is that not the TRUTH?

Paul – 050212

---Gal. 4:16.
---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???

(#12) Old
TOL Legend

oatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputationoatmeal has a large reputation
May 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Scriptures do not describe God as all merciful.

He is rich in mercy, not all merciful.

Ephesians 2:4

oatmeal

"And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?" Psalm 6:5

I John 3:1-2. Prov 14:34 Psalm 133:1

(#13) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
May 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Isn't it Allah, the one who is all merciful? You know - the one who kills businessmen in towers and flogs women who let their veils slip a few inches too far?

Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone

(#14) Old
I'm not a player, I just crush a lot

kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
May 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I have a thread about mercy and justice being mutually exclusive. I believe they are.

I don't believe this is a good argument against the Christian God though.

Don't tase me, bro!!
Who would've thought... it figures

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife

(#15) Old
I'm not a player, I just crush a lot

kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
May 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
Justice demands a price. Jesus paid the price for those on whom God has mercy. Everybody else pays it on their own. There is no suspension.
Forgiveness and mercy wipes the price away, not charge it to someone else.

Don't tase me, bro!!
Who would've thought... it figures

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife