TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Random acts of kindness
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#16) Old
TOL Legend

serpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peers
May 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
I agree. Sorry, it was an apparently-off attempt at humor...
No, no. You said you were kidding but I wasn't sure. I thought I'd better get the warning out there regardless. We're back to--note on door. All is well.

What's new?
PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.

(#17) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
May 6th, 2012, 02:08 AM

I'm not a Mormon, but I do enjoy the Glenn Beck radio program, from time to time.

Your friendly neighborhood Super Moderator!

(#18) Old
TOL Subscriber

Grosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peers
Grosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peers
May 6th, 2012, 02:26 AM

A very dear friend of mine came up with an excellent way of, not only helping the homeless people (the ones that stand on street corners with a sign) with their, "spiritual needs" but also, their "physical needs."

She puts together a small plastic bag which includes a, New Testament Bible, salvation tract and a $10.00 grocery store card for food...When we're driving around and see someone on a corner, holding a sign, we open the car window and give them this small gift, to help them out...I believe it's a wonderful way, to not only share the salvation message, but provide them with some nourishment...

(#19) Old
Gold level Subscriber

bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
Thumbs up May 6th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe View Post
A very dear friend of mine came up with an excellent way of, not only helping the homeless people (the ones that stand on street corners with a sign) with their, "spiritual needs" but also, their "physical needs."

She puts together a small plastic bag which includes a, New Testament Bible, salvation tract and a $10.00 grocery store card for food...When we're driving around and see someone on a corner, holding a sign, we open the car window and give them this small gift, to help them out...I believe it's a wonderful way, to not only share the salvation message, but provide them with some nourishment...
I love this idea! This will work well in Minnesota because one cannot buy liquor in a food store.
Thanks and my blessings to your friend!

(#20) Old
TOL Subscriber

Grosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peers
Grosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peers
May 6th, 2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybee View Post
I love this idea! This will work well in Minnesota because one cannot buy liquor in a food store.
Thanks and my blessings to your friend!
Thanks Bybee. I'm happy you like the idea...It helps those poor people out, at least in a small way. They get feed spiritually and physically...

(#21) Old
Proverbs 31:10

ebenz47037 is well respected by his peers
ebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peersebenz47037 is well respected by his peers
May 6th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
I have been attending a church for a while with which I have some major theological differences. I attend mostly to enjoy the fellowship of other believers and I do also find the worship meaningful.

This past weekend I attended a men's retreat for the purpose of getting to know some of the other guys better. At one point we were instructed to split up into group of 3 or 4 and go out into the community and preform "random acts of kindness" There were no other instructions we were just told to go do it then to meet for lunch in a little less than two hours. So, my group got in my mini van. Made a couple of calls and were not coming up with any ideas for projects we could do on that short of notice. We sat in the van for a while...boy did I hate this!
...after an uncomfortable silence I suggested that my neighbors yard needed mowing. We drove to her house and knocked on the door but she wasn't home. So we proceeded to get out my mowers and mow as much of her yard in the time we were given. I felt really weird about the whole thing.
We met for lunch and talked about the whole experience. Most of the guys thought it was awesome that we did something to "bless" this elderly woman without even sticking around to let her know who did it.

Two days later I saw that somebody finished the job and really got the place looking good. I am really hoping she didn't think someone was trying to send her a message that her place was an eyesore. I am sort of afraid that there is a good chance that out actions were received as a random act of passive aggression.
I am trying to catch her at home so I can explain but I keep missing her. Either that or she just doesn't come to the door!
I woke up from a nap to the sound of my neighbor's tractor, mowing my lawn again, today. I called his wife and asked what kind of beer he likes since he won't tell me. I'm going to wait until my mortgage clears and then buy him a twelve pack this week as a small token of my thanks.

June is Gay Pride Month. Tolerance and diversity? More like tolerate perversity.

Vegetarian - Indian word for lousy hunter

(#22) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
Delmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peersDelmar is well respected by his peers
May 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM

I was hoping I would hear from some of the non Christians to see how they think they would feel about this. My guess is some would like it and some would take it as an insult.

(#23) Old
BANNED

sky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peers
May 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
I have been attending a church for a while with which I have some major theological differences. I attend mostly to enjoy the fellowship of other believers and I do also find the worship meaningful.

This past weekend I attended a men's retreat for the purpose of getting to know some of the other guys better. At one point we were instructed to split up into group of 3 or 4 and go out into the community and preform "random acts of kindness" There were no other instructions we were just told to go do it then to meet for lunch in a little less than two hours. So, my group got in my mini van. Made a couple of calls and were not coming up with any ideas for projects we could do on that short of notice. We sat in the van for a while...boy did I hate this!
...after an uncomfortable silence I suggested that my neighbors yard needed mowing. We drove to her house and knocked on the door but she wasn't home. So we proceeded to get out my mowers and mow as much of her yard in the time we were given. I felt really weird about the whole thing.
We met for lunch and talked about the whole experience. Most of the guys thought it was awesome that we did something to "bless" this elderly woman without even sticking around to let her know who did it.

Two days later I saw that somebody finished the job and really got the place looking good. I am really hoping she didn't think someone was trying to send her a message that her place was an eyesore. I am sort of afraid that there is a good chance that out actions were received as a random act of passive aggression.
I am trying to catch her at home so I can explain but I keep missing her. Either that or she just doesn't come to the door!
What I think is weird about this is that you didn't finish the job. Also I don't let anyone work on my property without insurance to cover them. I think that if you had asked or inquired about the need for help and the guidelines you could have made it less confusiing for all involved.

(#24) Old
Patron Saint of SMACK

May 7th, 2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky. View Post
What I think is weird about this is that you didn't finish the job. Also I don't let anyone work on my property without insurance to cover them. I think that if you had asked or inquired about the need for help and the guidelines you could have made it less confusiing for all involved.
We had about 90 minutes. We did know that we wouldn't get done with anything but the front yard, but we did finish the front yard, even though my riding mower burnt up a belt. Is it fair to say we didn't chose our project wisely. Yes, I guess it is. It might have been wiser to simply not go along with the exercise. Doing good things for people is great but putting people in a position to find a service project with no planning or advanced warning left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think I will participle again, under those conditions.