TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page NFL 2012 Regular Season Discussion
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#211) Old
BANNED

Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
The Giants can beat anyone on the right day. But if they're going to make a run it's time and that game will either be one more part of an up and down season or the beginning of that run.

Atlanta is the NFC Houston. They win, they look good on paper, but I don't believe they can win when it matters.

I just don't think anyone gets past SF unless their QB situation blows up in their face. Great running game, better than Chicago. Better, younger defense than Chicago. QB play is the key. And, of course, the Giants.

Granite, I'm with you on Denver. I think it all comes down to consistency on either teams part. Denver has looked a little more consistent on both sides of the ball to me, but New England can hit harder on offense when they're playing their "A" game. Peyton and his WRs don't always look in sync and during the pressure of a playoff game that lack of familiarity might come back to haunt them.
If the Pats and Broncos match up in Gillette I love New England's chances. Manning looked completely lost (with the exception of two or three plays) against Kansas City, so maybe they're still not on the same page. If for whatever reason the game's in Denver? I'd pick Manning by a TD. The Flying Elvii simply don't play well at Mile High.

Oh, and as for today's match up...this is a game Brady and company should win easily, but they play at their worst in Miami. If the fish pull an upset I won't be the least bit surprised. Something weird always seems to happen down there.

(#212) Old
TOL Subscriber

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite View Post
If the Pats and Broncos match up in Gillette I love New England's chances. Manning looked completely lost (with the exception of two or three plays) against Kansas City, so maybe they're still not on the same page.
Romeo has a way of doing that to Manning. Before that game he hadn't thrown a td against him if memory serves. So that was a great showing, considering.

Quote:
If for whatever reason the game's in Denver? I'd pick Manning by a TD. The Flying Elvii simply don't play well at Mile High.
It's tough on everyone. Houston managed a win there early but that was it and I suspect home field will be important for any team this year, given the lack of top to bottom dominance.

Quote:
Oh, and as for today's match up...this is a game Brady and company should win easily, but they play at their worst in Miami.
They've played some teams close and been blown out else, but you can't look past Miami. There's some talk of renaming the team the Box of Chocolates.

Quote:
If the fish pull an upset I won't be the least bit surprised. Something weird always seems to happen down there.
Your guys have a great offense this year, but you've had to have one, giving up as many points as your secondary has. That's my only real worry with the Pats. I picked them as prohibitive AFC Super Bowl favorite early. Now I'm with you on the Denver shadow. That match up, whenever it comes, may well give us the AFC king.

Now the larger question, how would either match up against SF the Giants and Chicago?

Last edited by Town Heretic; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:13 AM..

(#213) Old
Over 4000 post club

Guyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Now the larger question, how would either match up against SF the Giants and Chicago?
I was surprise by the Giants last year. What a run at the end! And I could hardly believe they beat the Pats....great game BTW.

This year....I think the NFC has the toughest teams.

Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

(#214) Old
TOL Subscriber

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
I was surprise by the Giants last year. What a run at the end! And I could hardly believe they beat the Pats....great game BTW.

This year....I think the NFC has the toughest teams.
I think you're right...though I have this gut feeling that if the Broncos could get past New England it might be the exception to that rule and make for a nail bitter of a Super Bowl.

(#215) Old
BANNED

Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM

Hypotheticals:

I think Manning could dispatch the Bears--call me crazy but a tough D like Chicago's is, for whatever counterintuitive reason, the sort of scheme he could dissect. Against his brother's squad...questionable. San Francisco? I'd like the Niners.

The Patriots could beat the Bears simply because Jay Cutler can't and won't outgun Tom Brady. As for the Giants, don't get me started. As for the Niners...I'd pick New England, and then only barely. In the heat of the moment I believe they'd make at least one critical mistake the Pats would exploit. But it'd be one hell of a game, more of a nail-biter than that thriller against the Panthers years ago.

(#216) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Hypotheticals:

I think Manning could dispatch the Bears--call me crazy but a tough D like Chicago's is, for whatever counterintuitive reason, the sort of scheme he could dissect. Against his brother's squad...questionable. San Francisco? I'd like the Niners.
Depends. I think the Niners are more, with the new guy under center and if he continues to play the way he is then they look like a more complete version of what the Eagles were shooting for. And I think the Pats are the best chance against that because of their offensive explosiveness. They can make a game a shoot out. I see the Broncos as being a lot like the Niners but with weaker receivers and a less mobile, if better pocket passing, signal caller.

Quote:
...As for the Giants, don't get me started.
Definitely a better Bronco match up.

Quote:
As for the Niners...I'd pick New England, and then only barely. In the heat of the moment I believe they'd make at least one critical mistake the Pats would exploit.
I think it would be decided by the last team to make a fast break.

Quote:
But it'd be one hell of a game, more of a nail-biter than that thriller against the Panthers years ago.
I don't see many SB match ups, using the prohibitive favorites, that don't look really interesting. Which is appropriate considering the up and down nature of this season.

(#217) Old
Over 4000 post club

Guyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM

I don't understand why so many coaches go for the prevent defense in the last drives of games.

The Rams got the niners in OT with it. Why not just play regular defense but keep a safety back for the deep ball?

Seems to me like you could just win the game there instead of going to OT.

Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

(#218) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM

Let the second guessing begin in San Francisco...there will definitely be some movement in my power rankings as the Niners and Bears both fall and New England doesn't meet expectations against a headless Fins.

(#219) Old
Blessed is the man that......

Psalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peers
Psalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM

I know it's not over yet, the dust of the NFL season hasn't settled yet, I would like to see the Texans and the Broncos meet for the AFC championship.

I like them both, so for me it would be a win-win situation.

Been a Broncos fan since they started in 1960 and played at Denver Bears Stadium and been a Texans fan since their inception.

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
.....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Last edited by Psalmist; December 2nd, 2012 at 04:48 PM..

(#220) Old
BANNED

December 2nd, 2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Let the second guessing begin in San Francisco...there will definitely be some movement in my power rankings as the Niners and Bears both fall and New England doesn't meet expectations against a headless Fins.
My question pretty much sums up this entire season:

What the hell just happened?

(#221) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 2nd, 2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
My question pretty much sums up this entire season:

What the hell just happened?
Bizarre week...I guess it just goes to show you that match ups matter. Fisher knows how to get his guys up for the Niners and what he's doing with the Rams bears keeping an eye on. The Pats just seem to hate being favored by large margins...Denver looked sharp.

It's amazing how many teams are in it this late in the season. And the two teams that look dominant in the W/L columns, Houston and Atlanta, aren't anyone's prohibitive favorite away from home.

I mean, look at my Colts.
I'm 9-5 against the line this week and feling good about it, considering.

(#222) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

tetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peers
tetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM

They're BACK !!!!!

(#223) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

tetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peers
tetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peerstetelestai is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM

It didn't feel like December this weekend with the temperatures in the mid 60's

Even though people have Christmas lights up, decorations, and seeing trees on top of cars; it doesn't feel like December.

But I know the one sure sign of when it's December......the Dallas Cowboys should lose at least 3 of their next 4 games starting tonight against Philadelphia.

No team loses in December like the Cowboys.

With a Cowboy's loss tonight, we can all start singing...."It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....."

(#224) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
They're BACK !!!!!
I was happy for Batch and company. A great scene between Big Ben and Batch at the end. Should take them off my ranking cusp and back into the top ten again in a really odd week of play.

(#225) Old
Rookie

EnterSaint will become famous soon enough
December 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
A really odd week of play.
To understate it.
If this trend keeps up, the Redskins will beat the Giants 9-5...

Tags
nfl discussion, romo chokes