TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page NCAA Football: the final weeks
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#46) Old
You what?

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterSaint View Post
Alabama played an excellent game
We ran well. Our quarterback wasn't playing well and we had a breakdown on special teams, were too loose in our secondary play.

Quote:
and they still needed Georgia to mess up and a few no calls to help them win
Rather, Georgia needed a bad call by the refs to set up a great block and return for a td. The phantom tip that negated an otherwise clear penalty to put Alabama within easy rushing distance for a distancing touch down failed to show up on replay.

Quote:
To me, that was Georgia's game to lose and they did.
Nah. The lower ranked and lesser team lost a close contest. That's about the way it should have gone, except it shouldn't have been quite as close as it was and I don't think it would have been if we'd had our best speed WR in the game.

I don't know what you have in mind about no calls. The QB roughness nonsense wouldn't have kept the ball out of our hands, but it wasn't the right call to make. The officials had it right and the announcers not so much. The Georgia quarterback was a defender, moving toward the ball still in play.

Quote:
I am excited to see how Notre Dame's rush defense hold up against Alabama's rushing attack.
It won't.

(#47) Old
Rookie

EnterSaint will become famous soon enough
December 2nd, 2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
The QB roughness nonsense wouldn't have kept the ball out of our hands, but it wasn't the right call to make. The officials had it right and the announcers not so much. The Georgia quarterback was a defender, moving toward the ball still in play.
It's still helmet-to-helmet contact which is STILL a penalty, regardless of whether or not the QB was a defender. However you want to justify it, that was not a block; that was an attempt to actually hurt the QB. That is now how the game should be played and the rules state that in the form of "unnecessary roughness," which is at the officials' discretion, but that was about as blatant as it gets.

Also, your opinion can't be trusted on this because you are CLEARLY biased on this, just like I'm biased on the Oregon Ducks being ranked #3 instead of Florida.

(#48) Old
Smoke' em All

Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterSaint View Post
Also, your opinion can't be trusted on this because you are CLEARLY biased on this, just like I'm biased on the Oregon Ducks being ranked #3 instead of Florida.
I have Oregon number 1 and Alabama number 2.

Jesus saves completely.

Titus 1:10-11

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.climatedepot.com/

(#49) Old
I'm not a player, I just crush a lot

kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Heretic
The phantom tip that negated an otherwise clear penalty to put Alabama within easy rushing distance for a distancing touch down failed to show up on replay.
What penalty? I didn't see the play. I saw them reply the tip a couple times but I never saw the entire play or what controversy it caused.

I agree with EnterSaint about the hit on Murray. He was barely running, and if the Bama player really thought he was a threat he could have taken him out of the play in a different way instead of hitting up high. Heck, Murray is a QB. The Tide player probably could have just yelled and Murray would have ran the other way.

Don't tase me, bro!!
Who would've thought... it figures

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife

(#50) Old
Smoke' em All

Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Will? Where have you been for the last six years?
Watching your people vote for the losing re-publican thinking the south will rise again.

Jesus saves completely.

Titus 1:10-11

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.climatedepot.com/

(#51) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM

notre dame will beat alabama
and
here is why

the best quarterback in the nation beat them
the next best quarterback in the nation almost beat them
but
their defense wasn't good enough
the third best quarterback in the nation has the second best defense
and
that will be just enough

Jesus doesn't care who wins
but
His mother does

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#52) Old
You what?

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
notre dame will beat alabama
In the same way Romney won in a landslide. That is to say, you have some of it right (teams and the fact that one will lose).

Quote:
and
here is why

the best quarterback in the nation beat them
the next best quarterback in the nation almost beat them
but
their defense wasn't good enough
the third best quarterback in the nation has the second best defense
and
that will be just enough
You won't stop our running game. Our quarterback will make a couple of throws that matter and that's all he's really asked to do.

To borrow from Sport's Illustrated's Michael Rosenburg
Did you see these guys against Georgia? Alabama ran for 350 yards on 51 carries, and “ran” is not the right word. This was a bulldozing. This was raw power, a muscle-on-muscle mashing of a Georgia defense that has three potential NFL first-round picks. And yeah, I know Notre Dame has a tougher run defense than Georgia, but I mean: 350 yards on 51 carries! How much tougher can Notre Dame’s defense really be?
Quote:
Jesus doesn't care who wins
Why should he?

Quote:
but
His mother does
Oh stop it.

Of the guys you've played only two remain in the top 25 by ranking. That's how you got here. The only thing like a weakness that Alabama has is in its secondary. They're inconsistent. But you managed to rank 75th as a passing team. You aren't built to exploit that. As for the chance of you running against us. Your defensive line is smaller and taller, both of which give us a decided advantage. Your offensive line, by compare, does't have that advantage against our defense.

Alabama
OL: 316.4 lbs.
DL: 304.6

Notre Dame
OL: 304.4 lbs.
DL: 311.7

(#53) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM

I was actually hoping georgia would win until I saw how good their quarterback is
and
now realize notre dame would have more trouble stopping them

(#54) Old
You what?

December 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I was actually hoping georgia would win
I never doubted it.

Quote:
until I saw how good their quarterback is
He's good, but they give him more opportunity to shine. Our guy was a HS blue chip and is a pretty darn good quarterback.

By way of example, on a run first and last team he's managed to complete 66.8% of his passes for 2,669 yards, averaging 9.3 yards per completion with 26 tds against only 3 interceptions. His QB rating on the year is 173.1

Aaron Murray, who has had more opportunity to pass out of the position has completed 65.4% of his passes for 3466 yards averaging 9.8 yards per completion with 31 tds against 8 interceptions. His QB rating on the year is 172.4.

In other words, your perception isn't supported by an objective examination of the two QBs. Our guy had a higher completion percentage and a higher rating, averaging half a yard less per pass.

Quote:
and
now realize notre dame would have more trouble stopping them
That's funny. Seriously, you should find an open mic somewhere. I have a great deal of respect for Georgia. I thought it would be close and it was. I wasn't sure we'd beat them. I thought we should, but I wasn't certain and said as much.

And I'm happy to see the Irish back in the conversation, but they wouldn't be undefeated if they'd had to play their schedule in the SEC and they won't win the Championship against my Tide.

(#55) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 2nd, 2012, 01:12 PM

I will always remember that new years eve party 39 years ago when notre dame first beat alabama
after that I started to take them for granted
but
you did win one
don't let the past haunt you

(#56) Old
You what?

December 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I will always remember that new years eve party 39 years ago when notre dame first beat alabama
I understand, being a Domer fan you mostly have to live in the past.

That has to sting.

Quote:
after that I started to take them for granted
but
you did win one
For those who don't own NCAA history books:

11/14/1987 Alabama 6 - Notre Dame 37

10/4/1986 Alabama 28 - Notre Dame 10

11/15/1980 Alabama 0 - Notre Dame 7

11/13/1976 Alabama 18 - Notre Dame 21

1/1/1975 Alabama 11 - Notre Dame 13

12/31/1973 Alabama 23 - Notre Dame 24

Or, you had some great teams in the 70s and 80s. Not exactly a portrait of dominance, but you got the best of mostly by the teeth games. We traded mouth punches in the last two.

Since those 80s, in the twenty two years since you won one, we've won three national championships.

Quote:
don't let the past haunt you
No reason for it to. Enjoy your Indian Summer. And hey, start practicing, "It was an honor just to play for it."

But that's just to poke chrys. I'm glad to see the Irish in it. It's good for college football. Same with Michigan and Alabama and Ohio. The sport is better when they're playing at a high level.

Last edited by Town Heretic; December 2nd, 2012 at 02:44 PM..

(#57) Old
Silver Member

Son of Jack is well respected by his peers
Son of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peersSon of Jack is well respected by his peers
December 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
I have Oregon number 1 and Alabama number 2.
Who exactly has Oregon beaten? They lost to the best team they played. They are the definition of paper tigers.

(#58) Old
You what?

December 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Jack View Post
Who exactly has Oregon beaten? They lost to the best team they played. They are the definition of paper tigers.
I suspect you just watched the two best teams in the country play for the SEC Championship.

(#59) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I suspect you just watched the two best teams in the country play for the SEC Championship.
that means notre dame will be playing the best team

I like that

(#60) Old
You what?

December 2nd, 2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
that means notre dame will be playing the best team
I think so.

Quote:
I like that
What's the point of playing anyone else?