TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > TOL Topic of the Day - Chime In!
Reload this Page toldailytopic: What do you think about the practice of observing Lent?
TOL Topic of the Day - Chime In! Every day we will post a new topic and we want to get your comments on that topic. The topic could be about literally anything from the vague to the specific, important or trivial. The TOL membership can take that topic and run with it!

(#16) Old
look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool View Post
It's when all the Catholic Churches suddenly start selling fish dinners on Friday.
Not just the churches....restaurants know a good thing when they see it. Every February, every chain in town starts advertising fish sandwiches.

That's how you know who the Catholics are...look at the cars in the drive-thru line.

(#17) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
What do you think about the practice of observing Lent?
I'm fine, so long as they give back what I lent them.

Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone

(#18) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM

When I was a kid, the school always had fish on Fridays. I really liked fish sticks, so that was fine with me. I often wondered what the non-Catholic majority thought of it, though.

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

From the tetelestai dictionary:
Chicken Little - (n) someone who is winning an argument with a tetelestai.

(#19) Old
TOL Subscriber

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:04 AM

To each their own. I do not believe on or practice Lent. I do not judge folks who do. I understand why they do.

Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

(#20) Old
Silver Member

IMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peersIMJerusha is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 5th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: What do you think about the practice of observing Lent?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I don't observe Lent. It is not God ordained in Scripture. I understand its significance to many and accept it as a doctrine/tradition playing out in the lives of Brothers and Sisters.

I AM the pie lady!!

(#21) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 01:52 PM

the best thing about lent
is
it is man made

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#22) Old
Jewish Humanist

Dena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 02:18 PM

I don't see the point but I am not Catholic so I don't need to see it.

(#23) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM

blind is okay?

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#24) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peers
resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 5th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: What do you think about the practice of observing Lent?

I think that like most things if you practice it enough you'll eventually get good at it.

(#25) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
When I was a kid, the school always had monkey-fish on Fridays.

I knew it!

(#26) Old
Jewish Humanist

Dena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
blind is okay?
Were you responding to me?

(#27) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Were you responding to me?
sure looked like it

couldn't you see?

(#28) Old
TOL Legend

genuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
When I was a kid, the school always had fish on Fridays. I really liked fish sticks, so that was fine with me. I often wondered what the non-Catholic majority thought of it, though.
I looked forward to fish stick Fridays. It was years later that I learned that it was a Catholic tradition.

Learn to read what is written.

(#29) Old
Over 3000 post club

GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 04:08 PM

Lent makes me happy. I imagine God is looking down on me and very impressed that I'm not drinking orange juice, or using facebook for a while.

"I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

(#30) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 04:45 PM

I suppose the trick is to change your daily life in some way that keeps reminding you His sacrifice for us. To me, it was never so much sacrificing something, as doing something different to remind me of Him.

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

From the tetelestai dictionary:
Chicken Little - (n) someone who is winning an argument with a tetelestai.

Tags
catholic