TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Favorite Quotations
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#76) Old
Over 2500 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
March 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM

“The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils.”
-William Shakespeare

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

(#77) Old
Blessed is the man that......

Psalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peers
Psalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peersPsalmist is well respected by his peers
March 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM

“Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee.” ~ St. Augustine

From an old funeral service book...
My beloved has gone to his garden, and to gather lilies.
Song of Solomon chapter 6 verse 2
"Remember it is His garden and they are His lilies."

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
.....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

(#78) Old
TOL Subscriber

bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
Thumbs up March 3rd, 2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others."

Marcus Aurelius
If only more people would read Marcus Aurelius. If only I would take him more to heart!

(#79) Old
Over 4000 post club

lifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peerslifeisgood is well respected by his peers
March 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM

"Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies:

Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? Or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain” (Proverbs 30:7–9)

Truth is truth, it matters not if you believe it or not.
==========
No man can come to God except through Christ. (Jn. 14:20)
No man can come to Christ unless he comes through the Cross. (Jn. 3:16; Eph. 2:13–18)
No man can come to the Cross without a denial of self. (Lk. 9:23–24)
==========
If the “Oughts” of the Old Testament were difficult to obey, Our Lord’s teaching is unfathomably more difficult. Remember, the commandments were given irrespective of human ability or inability to keep them; then when Jesus Christ came, instead of doing what we all too glibly say He did—put something easier before men, He made it a hundredfold more difficult, because He goes behind the law to the disposition. —Oswald Chambers
==========
"No serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non-historicity of Jesus." ~ Otto Betz

(#80) Old
Over 2500 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
March 3rd, 2013, 07:28 PM

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other methods that have been tried."
-Winston Churchill

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."

(#81) Old
TOL Subscriber

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
March 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM

Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.

Plutarch

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.

W.H. Auden

(#82) Old
TOL Subscriber

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Beauty is mysterious as well as terrible. God and devil are fighting there, and the battlefield is the heart of man.
Dostoevsky

(#83) Old
Over 2500 post club

March 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
-Aldous Huxley

“The world is always a democracy in times of flux, and the man with the best voice will win. Everybody thinks Hitler got to power because of his armies, because they were willing to kill, and that's partly true, because in the real world power is always built on the threat of death and dishonor. But mostly he got to power on words, on the right words at the right time.”
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

“Nineteen sixty-eight was the year that rock grew up, and its audience grew with it. Not into adulthood, with all the graying, bearded maturity which that condition normally portends, but into a state of calm, reasoning responsibility, and the awareness that, if governments were no longer capable of leading, then somebody else needed to step up to the plate and do it for them.”
-Dave Thompson, I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto

(#84) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peers
resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM

A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet.
Will Rogers

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?
Will Rogers

People's minds are changed through observation and not through argument.
Will Rogers

(#85) Old
Silver Member

Saved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:41 AM

From the movie Serenity:

Jayne Cobb: Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?

Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” ― Philip K. Dick

(#86) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Bilbo: I'm old, Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel... thin. Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday. A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall return. In fact I mean not to.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

(#87) Old
Over 2500 post club

March 5th, 2013, 10:19 AM

“They become more personable as you head south, the people. You sit in a diner and, along with your coffee and your food, they bring you comments, questions, smiles, and nods.”
-Neil Gaiman, "Bitter Grounds"

“Some days I remember when the white people came to this land, and when the black people stumbled ashore in chains. I remember when the red people walked to this land, when the land was younger. I remember when the land was alone.”
-Neil Gaiman, "Pages From a Journal Found in a Shoebox in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere between Tulsa, Oklahoma and Louisville, Kentucky"

“The anthems from my revolution are now background music in TV commercials for cholesterol pills, onboard navigation systems for gas-guzzling SUVs, and hedge funds.”
-Christopher Buckley, Boomsday

“It’s never a soldier’s business to decide when or where or how – or why – he fights; that belongs to the statesmen and the generals. The statesmen decide why and how much; the generals take it from there and tell us where and when and how. We supply the violence; other people – ‘older and wiser heads,’ as they say – supply the control.”
-Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

(#88) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM

"reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions,"
- David Hume

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

From the tetelestai dictionary:
Chicken Little - (n) someone who is winning an argument with a tetelestai.

(#89) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 01:06 PM

"Molan labe." ("come and take them.")

-Leonidas of Sparta to the Persian general demanding that the Spartans lay down their arms.

"If I enter your territories, I will destroy you all, never to rise again."
Phillip of Macedon to the Spartans

"If." Reply of the Spartans

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

From the tetelestai dictionary:
Chicken Little - (n) someone who is winning an argument with a tetelestai.

(#90) Old
Over 2500 post club

March 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM

“Being blind, you’d have all others blind as well;
The clear-eyed man you call an infidel,
And he who sees through humbug and pretense
Is charged, by you, with want of reverence.”
-Moliere, Tartuffe

“It was the fight of man against monster, and it was old as time: it was Theseus battling the Minotaur, it was Beowulf and Grendel, it was the fight of every hero who had ever stood between the firelight and the darkness and wiped the blood of something inhuman from his sword.”
-Neil Gaiman, "The Monarch of the Glen"

“Times change, and God’s people must be prepared to change with those times. The time for men to lord authority over women is over, whether inside or outside the church. Instead, we should be working together as equals, for equals we surely are. In light of my earlier observation – namely that women do 90 percent of the work in most churches – I have a question. Ladies, have you considered a strike?”
-Oliver Thomas, 10 Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But can't, because he needs the job)

“A mature artist never calls attention to himself, and a wise artist never does anything merely because it breaks convention.”
-Robert McKee, Story

Last edited by Buzzword; March 5th, 2013 at 08:18 PM..