TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Politics
Reload this Page A Well-Regulate Militia
Politics Current Events, Abortion, homosexuality, gun control, public schools, welfare, taxes, government etc.

(#16) Old
Gold level Subscriber

fool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peers
fool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite View Post
Maybe, although I'd be a lot more wary of someone who thinks they know how to use a firearm than an instructor who actually does.

When it comes to devices specifically designed to kill, and kill efficiently, I don't think a little regulation is totally uncalled for. Would mandatory training be a hassle? Sure. Would it inconvenience some folks? Definitely. Would it actually educate certain folks who think they know what's up just by virtue of owning a gun? Absolutely.
In Michigan you have to have hunter safety training to get a hunters license, which was 80% hunting laws and 20% gun safety.
No gun handling or shooting of any kind.

I would have no problem with a test just like you have for a drivers license.

Everyman is a voice in the dark.
I II III IV

(#17) Old
BANNED

Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool View Post
In Michigan you have to have hunter safety training to get a hunters license, which was 80% hunting laws and 20% gun safety.
No gun handling or shooting of any kind.

Exactly. This is a public safety issue so testing doesn't strike me as a bad idea at all.

(#18) Old
Gold level Subscriber

fool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peers
fool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peersfool is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
I consider myself a well regulated militia of one.

I eat my oatmeal every morning
I have four boys so with me and my wife we need;
A .22 rifle
A .223 rifle
A .308 rifle
A 12 gauge shotgun
A .40 caliber handgun
A .40 caliber rifle (for close in work)
For Each Member of the Family.

That's 36 guns I need just to be basically equipped!
Not to mention training weapons like 20 and .410 gauge shotguns and smaller caliber handguns because I can't exactly train the kids with the big stuff.

I wonder if I can get some kind of government grant.

Everyman is a voice in the dark.
I II III IV

(#19) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peers
resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:

for voting too

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#20) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I have four boys so with me and my wife we need;
A .22 rifle
A .223 rifle
A .308 rifle
A 12 gauge shotgun
A .40 caliber handgun
A .40 caliber rifle (for close in work)
For Each Member of the Family.

That's 36 guns I need just to be basically equipped!
Not to mention training weapons like 20 and .410 gauge shotguns and smaller caliber handguns because I can't exactly train the kids with the big stuff.

I wonder if I can get some kind of government grant.

Do you have a place to shoot?

My old place got developed

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#21) Old
Over 500 post club

jgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselvesjgarden is making a name for themselves
March 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Where does the National Guard for each state fit into this "well-regulated militia" equasion?

How many "well-regulated militias" does the country need and don't we run the risk of having them fighting each other (ie. The Civil War)?

(#22) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

vegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peers
vegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Lets see, over the past 10-20 years the news media has shown that the governments first reaction to a civilian militia is to place them under investigation for being potentially subversive, the same way that Homeland Security has placed all military personnel that have experience in combat are to be watched as potential terrorists.

The Government does not want a civilian Militia any more than they want the average American to be armed.

I wonder why there are so afraid of the American people?
Be careful. The government is monitoring this post. You used the word "militia" and "people" and "American" in the same message.

In all seriousness though, this is such an excellent post. Our government is nothing if not divided in their opinion about...well, everything.

The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Abortion is murder. Period.

(#23) Old
Over 2500 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
Where does the National Guard for each state fit into this "well-regulated militia" equasion?

How many "well-regulated militias" does the country need and don't we run the risk of having them fighting each other (ie. The Civil War)?
The National Guard is a branch of the military.

The point of a militia is to have the citizenry trained with the weapons they privately own in case of armed foreign invasion.

I'd be fine with a militia for each municipality.

Given that the government has the ability to militarily overshadow any and all militias, the idea of militias fighting one another is absurd.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

(#24) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

vegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peers
vegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peersvegascowboy is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post

There is that little part about regulated in there. In fact, it goes as far as to say WELL regulated. There is risk inherent in anything of importance.

Whom else do we have need to protect ourselves if not the very government who can take away that right?

The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Abortion is murder. Period.

(#25) Old
BANNED

Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
The National Guard is a branch of the military.

The point of a militia is to have the citizenry trained with the weapons they privately own in case of armed foreign invasion.

I'd be fine with a militia for each municipality.

Given that the government has the ability to militarily overshadow any and all militias, the idea of militias fighting one another is absurd.

Why would you say that? Local and civil disputes lead to full-blown conflicts all the time. Look at the Irish Troubles or their civil war.

(#26) Old
Over 2500 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite View Post

Why would you say that? Local and civil disputes lead to full-blown conflicts all the time. Look at the Irish Troubles or their civil war.
Maybe with enough alcohol involved.

What kind of conflict would be required for, say, two cities to send their militias after each other, to a point at which the state/federal government COULDN'T sweep in and detain all of them?

Also, if we're talking about a municipal government deploying a militia, couldn't the militia members simply refuse on the grounds that they are volunteers who don't get paid?

I honestly can't imagine two groups of AMERICANS going after each other with that kind of reckless abandon outside of a gang war, but those are usually confined to a single city.
If there's a conflict between two cities, the state-level courts are in place to arbitrate.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

(#27) Old
BANNED

March 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
Maybe with enough alcohol involved.
I'm being serious.

Quote:
What kind of conflict would be required for, say, two cities to send their militias after each other, to a point at which the state/federal government COULDN'T sweep in and detain all of them?
Well you're assuming a federal government's still in place. If there isn't, regional conflicts could explode and then spread pretty quickly. I guess I should've clarified what I had in mind.

Quote:
Also, if we're talking about a municipal government deploying a militia, couldn't the militia members simply refuse on the grounds that they are volunteers who don't get paid?
Sure, but what happens when they just refuse orders regularly? I mean, that's not much of a "militia" at that point. It's just some guys playing dress up.

Quote:
I honestly can't imagine two groups of AMERICANS going after each other with that kind of reckless abandon outside of a gang war, but those are usually confined to a single city.
Then you're a lot more optimistic than I am. When and if the bottom falls out I expect to see a lot of balkanization.

(#28) Old
TOL Subscriber

lightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peerslightbringer is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascowboy View Post
Be careful. The government is monitoring this post. You used the word "militia" and "people" and "American" in the same message.
Well if they are, they should be ready to hear more from me.

Yeah, those three little words scares the hell out of our government?

Talk about the change I've seen in the 66 years I've been around, scary.

Do not go gentile into that good night. D.Thomas

Out, Out, Brief Candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more, It is a tale told by an idiot, Full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing. W.S.

(#29) Old
Silver Member

PureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peers
March 5th, 2013, 10:56 AM

The "well regulated militia" being referred to in the Constitution was intended in leu of a standing army. Not as a mob of armed idiots flailing against whatever laws they don't like or their paranoid fantasies of black-op government invaders.

(#30) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureX View Post
Not as a mob of armed idiots flailing against whatever laws they don't like or their paranoid fantasies of black-op government invaders.

Tell us more about these delusions you're having.