TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Observations Great and Small
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

View Poll Results: Should Flag Burning Be Legal or Illegal?
Illegal. Flag burning dishonors those who died to keep us free--except where flags are concerned. 37 24.67%
Legal. Nothing says Iím proud to live in a free society quite like burning its symbol. 79 52.67%
Yes. 25 16.67%
It depends. Is the flag wrapped around _____? (describe who or what in comments) 9 6.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#3001) Old
The Flying Ban Hammer ✈

Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM

I used to be on some ignore lists, before I became a mod.

(#3002) Old
Over 6000 post club

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybee View Post
Well, if I am to be ignored, I'm so honored to be in the company of Quincy and Town Heretic!
Ah yes, three amigos, ignored but still relevant!!

@ Inzl , I had no clue people couldn't put a mod on ignore. Makes sense though .

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#3003) Old
TOL Subscriber

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:49 PM

Will someone please tell me what Quincy is saying so that I might report it.

(#3004) Old
TOL Subscriber

student x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
Will someone please tell me what Quincy is saying so that I might report it.
I can help you out with that

Quote:
Quote:
We are such nice people. Why would anyone want to ignore us? I don't ignore very many people on here because, sometimes, I am delighted by someone I hardly know!
Quote:
Well, if I am to be ignored, I'm so honored to be in the company of Quincy and Town Heretic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Ah yes, three amigos, ignored but still relevant!!

@ Inzl , I had no clue people couldn't put a mod on ignore. Makes sense though .

(#3005) Old
TOL Subscriber

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student x View Post
I can help you out with that
Oh, I don't have him on ignore, I just don't understand him.

And s-c-e-n-e

Thanks Stux.

(#3006) Old
Over 3000 post club

Memento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 07:46 PM

I'm curious. Everyone who has me on ignore, please respond to this post. Thanks.

Calvin: (after a long pause) I canít tell if thatís funny or really scary.
Anti-Death

2024 Life by Delmar: Homosexuality legal in all states; Government healthcare with abortion; Outlawing Bible by broadcast by hate crime laws

(#3007) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 4th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
I'm curious. Everyone who has me on ignore, please respond to this post. Thanks.

I put myself on ignore once and went two weeks without any idea of what I was saying. That just never gets old.

(#3008) Old
The Flying Ban Hammer ✈

Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I put myself on ignore once and went two weeks without any idea of what I was saying. That just never gets old.
I like to see how you managed that.

(#3009) Old
Let's roll!

Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
ROFL!

(#3010) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 5th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Had a lot of fun yesterday, more voices than the inside of SD's noggin, so if you missed the recap funny pages it's here. Otherwise...

In the secret thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Welcome to the hideout bybee!! We only have basic cable and some kebler cookies, but the recliner is all yours .

Yea, I get you bybee. I am being more prickly myself lately, the holier than thous have irked me. Regardless, may you have a great day on TOL!
I think zoo has a cooler full of Shasta, but whatever you do don't ask for one.

Ran into Q in the insane views thread...
Quote:
Quote:
I remember being a kid and thinking the whole world spoke English, watched American tv, sports and so forth.

Yea, then I left the farm I was raised on and traveled.
Ah, the "When I was a farmer I thought as a farmer...but when I went to Woolworth's they made me leave the plow outside" testimonial.

Then, after Shasta apparently self realized and made a user account here...
Quote:
Quote:
My gosh I knew I shouldn't have messed with that shasta!! It's talking to me now .
It's all zoo's fault, pulling the poor fellow up from the bottom of that cooler and whatnot.

While back in the 6 day creation thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
Rather he believed one day was created and repeated seven times. See his In Genesim ad Litteram.

AMR
Sort of a TruthSetFree thread parallel...except seven would be, well, who knows...we're still counting.

Then in the economics thread, TSF was self editing and still saying the same thing...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthSetsFree View Post
...my point remains
Mistaken.

Quote:
...they have what thye need... all-freaking ready...
It's called subsistence.

Quote:
It doesn't do them or anyone else any good to keep throwing $$ at them... like they are little children who can't do anything 4 themselves...
Most of those being helped are single parent families and children. You want to put those darn kids to work?

Over in the other Observations thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentdove View Post
2 Ti 3:7, Eccl 10:2
You know what's worse than an idiot slamming an opposing QB to the ground after the whistle? The bigger idiot who leaps on top of that pile.

Let he who knows football hear.

While the ever unintentionally ironic Eeset wished she could do more rep point damage while decrying someone else's capacity to do that...no, seriously...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
TH I would send you back some neg reps but alas the system won't let me.
It would be a losing proposition as I answer that on principle and you seem to value the number, which I'll get to in a moment.

Quote:
Such a shame. It would cost you exactly one point. You, however, as a typical abusive male misogynist have just cost me about 50 points.
You think points matter? Do you have any idea how many people get their rep pumped up artificially or by cadre around here? Don't even begin to invest in that number. It's an illusion.

Leading to a new nickname...
Quote:
Quote:
You don't have a comprehension problem do you? Go back and read sentence 2 and 3...
Can't help it, but to add one small thing to this ongoing repetition/exercise in changing whine into water, if I'm a parsemaster you're now officially the gnatmaster. And the strain is showing.

Okay, that'll do.

Jumped all over a hot topic...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fool View Post
If yer phone gets wet, take the battery out and seal it up in a bag of uncooked rice, the rice will suck the moisture out of the phone.
Rice-A-Phoni?
That led to...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
It may sound grainy.
Or taste phony.

Then someone opened an umbrella and...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainee View Post
Town uses words to his advantage...
Quote:
Of course he does. (once we talked him out of trying to juggle live badgers)
I still say I could have managed it.

Quote:
I count Town among my friends but even with that I'm aware that to read Town is to see things thru Town colored glasses.
You get them with ten box tops (the trick being to figure out which).

And in "Am I Saved..." I said hello to the new kid...
Quote:
I'd say without an absolute moral foundation and an independent moral arbiter any talk of truth or falsity, good or evil or estimation of value beyond the fun house mirror of self interest is as relevant and meaningful as a crossword puzzle designed by the illiterate for the blind.

And welcome to the monkey house, by the way.

While back in the unintentional Shasta thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Z OO, the SHASTA, it talked to me . It said mean things about Dr. Pepper.
I once had so much Shasta I thought I was going to pop.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
It's not pop, it's soda - but that would kind of take the fizz out of the punchline, wouldn't it?
Well, it was sodalicioius, but what isn't when you're thirsty enough and I was just a kid trying to kick a nasty Coke habit.
Quote:
Quote:
You might want to see Dr. Pepper about that next time.
Mountain Dew? I say Mountain Don't.

Sorry, what?
Quote:
Quote:
Orange you soda out of line there?

I did it just to Sprite you.
Quote:
Quote:
Putting soda in front of pop doesn't help. Gotta lose the pop.

And if you were Richard Simmons I guarantee you it wouldn't matter where you walked into, people would look at you like you were...well...Richard Simmons.
Great, another woman with pop issues.
Quote:
Quote:
It's the difference between American slang and the Queen's English.
Do stay on the tropic, anna.
Yeah...it was like that.

Tomorrow? I may need a nap.

(#3011) Old
The Flying Ban Hammer ✈

March 5th, 2013, 10:34 AM

I used to drink Shasta Cola when I was a kid. Hadn't seen the stuff in years.

(#3012) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 6th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Everyone saw a shadow and winter looks to linger...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
I hope they don't lock this thread
I hope you get a new shtick.

Everyone has a dream.

Had a conversation with a reconstruction worker...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
Indeed! And who should possess the audacity to rebuke so clear a verity but the facile? But he who presupposes an independent, benevolent and heedful arbiter only serves to repulse objectivity to a transgression far further than many other mechanisms of epistemology.
Is it worse to presume a benevolent arbiter or to presume the presumption of one, or to presume the absence of one?

Quote:
...if they intend to commit such informal fallacies, albeit - the other side should emancipate themselves from that particularly offensive facial hair with none other than Occam's razor itself.
Applying Occam to the foundational question presumes an objective explanation absent and simpler which isn't actually in play. At best you replace one miracle with an equally mysterious infinite regress or meet the demands of causality with a shrug.

Quote:
It seems the righteous side has prioritised sanctimony over parsimony and for that, its ambitions can only be met with stark, precipitous rout.
It seems very much like a snake until you realize you only have your hands about the tail of the tale and not the tape.

Quote:
Thanks cannot express my gratitude for your regards.
Well, if I've said anything I must have.

Over in Really Weird Rep Points...
Quote:
Quote:
Please don't try pedantic games.
She's right. That was an awful movie. I don't know why everyone seems to have loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
And be a good poop thrower.
I hear it's all in the wind-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
Duh, tell me about penguins? Or turtles... fiery fiery turtles...
They never last, inevitably succumbing to the urge to skate on the thin ice, where the heat they generate sends them to a watery grave mistake.

Which reminds me, is rep pointing poor manners?

And the points around here are purely Vegas. The house will always win.

Great thread though!

Set fool on the strait and narrow minded in Dear Knight...
Quote:
Quote:
Are my Pms Pms or not?
Can you see my Pms? Can Knight?
Can you see all the ones I've sent, received, and drafted but not sent?
...for some reason yours have been showing up for years, via an unusual "This link for fool's PMs" link on your profile page.

I always meant to ask you about that.

While speculating on personal hydrology...
Quote:
Quote:
So, no matter what winds up happening, no matter where you land, just remember to look everyone straight in the eye and say "HOWDY!"
And if they look at you funny that just means they didn't hear you so you grab them by the shoulders and pull them real close and say "HOWDY! I'm AMERICAN!" and then they'll understand.
And they'll smile and nod and then you smile and nod and then the exchange is complete.

You have to do that with everyone you meet.
They may try to kiss you on the cheeks.
Just go with it and don't run away screaming and plunge your head into the nearest public fountain cause they'll think you're weird if you do that despite the high number of public fountains they have.
I always thought the fountains were there because they had a lot more water than they knew what to do with, what with their not drinking it or bathing frequently.

Counted myself lucky to be counted on in the TOL Worth thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glory Land View Post
can you add the dot for me. : )
Did you mean decimal point or just any ol point.

Then fell prey to the vagaries of youthful indiscretion...
Quote:
Quote:
Who are your favorite contemporary musicians? For the purpose of this thread, lets say contemporary music starts with musicians that appeared from 1980 on, possibly less a couple years.
Well that's just daft. U2 is still a going concern and one of the greatest bands in the world. You don't mean contemporary, you mean "no geezers". Neil Young sneers at you. Lyle Lovette thumbs his nose. Tom Petty may slap several of your family members. Tom Waits is considering dropping a piano on you, and so on.

Quote:
My favorite solo artist is Taylor Swift.
Well of course she is... I knew it would happen eventually, that I'd live a day longer than I meant to.

Quote:
My favorite band is Train.
I hear they're re-releasing Drops of Jupiter (the song) as a greatest hit album.

Then closed things out...
Quote:
Somewhere between seven grand and six million then...

Glad we got that cleared up. I was thinking more between two grand and fifteen mil and narrowing that really helps me get a fix on things. Now here's an insight. Take the value of the place, divide it by your posts, then...nuts, someone's at the front door.

Okay, what was I talking about?

[And so the history of thread microeconomics was stunted and haunted for decades to come by the fated workings of UPS.]

And s-c-e-n-e.

Tomorrow? Three part homily.

(#3013) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM

So someone asked if TSF like the Pope...
Quote:
Quote:
don't know him

but i like what i know
IPOTD

Then, speaking of poverty...
Quote:
Quote:
the "poor" live in luxury, comparatively speaking
And compared to a giant you're a midget. But that doesn't make you small...at least not physically. So no, the poor don't live in luxury unless you think of food, clothing and shelter as a luxury.

Quote:
it would not hurt those who receive govt checks/stamps

to return even 5% of it...
Depends on who. Wealthy people drawing SS checks and using Medicare? I'd go deeper. The actual poor? Yes, it would. Most food stamp benefits, by way of, go to the elderly and to children.

Which led to the inevitable...
Quote:
Quote:
y does tedium hereticum respond to me when i dont respond 2 him?
Doesn't matter. Substantively there's no real difference between your answers and complete silence.

Except for her equally informed thread on presidential impeachment...
Quote:
Quote:
I just don't get why Congress doesn't vote to impeach him...
For the same reason they don't build a giant spaceship.

Noted the top posters in Tam's thread about my Observations...
Quote:
Observations thread of TH post count:

resurrected 44
Town Heretic 27 (including this post)
Eeset 17
Tambora 16
annabenedetti 13
bybee 12
Rusha 11
Inzl Kett 10...

And when E truncated a bit by me to three words so she could say...
Quote:
Quote:
No you don't.
So the queen of labeling (see: "parsemaster") falls by her own hand...her own, enormous and hammy hand.

Then there was glew, who decided to decry the value of contributing to, as she perceives it, the uniformly heretical TOL...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glew View Post
Yeah this is a can of Span alright.
No, you can swallow Spam if you absolutely have to.

Quote:
...When you gave money to the Roman Church in Luther's time you actually got something for your money...When you give money to TOL you don't get anything.
I feel the same way now and then. But then I stop reading you.

Quote:
...Knight has a couple of computers in the trunk of his car. And a bank account.
So you're tech savvy as well.

Quote:
Well, you get the idea. When you give money to Knight he gets a whole lot.
...I hope he gets something from it. I wish it was enough to make this his only job. I get a great deal of enjoyment from the site, fellowship and friendship.

If you don't...well, that's awful. Have you considered macramť?

While back in the old Impeach Him thread...
Quote:
Quote:
...we should do all we can to send the Pres and the world a message..
Try an email.

Quote:
i say we should at least initiate the process of impeachment...
Then you like wasting time and money. Again, you should channel that and run for Congress.

Zeke chimed in with his normal I really hate this country miscalculation...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
In reality even a true democracy doesn't exist in america, the will of the people doesn't matter.
Demonstrably untrue. People have altered the course of our history, both as individuals and groups. It's still happening. But if you don't engage you cede your power to those who will.

And ASCon that was added to the potential responses to neg rep thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
zoo22 would be here, but he's busy handing out negative reps.
ASCon brings up a decent additional selection:

J) Whine inferrentially about it.

While I suggested an Eeset inspired bit to zoo...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo22 View Post
Best way to react to a neg rep is to make a big public to-do about how little you care. Post about it, or better yet, start a thread. Let everyone know... You don't care so much you're vehement about it!
My favorite has to be the confused outrage gambit...you know, "You're a typical male misogynist with your huge neg rep to my paltry scratch and I wish I could neg rep you more but TOL won't let me and I don't realize what I'm saying."

That one rocks. It rocks hard.

Tomorrow? More fun with neg reps and someone gets an upgrade from tan.

(#3014) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Speculated...
Quote:
The Best Way To React To A Neg Rep Is....?

Drop and roll?

Tried to clear up a tanning confusion...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by student x View Post
Knight bumped my gift from Nang to silver.
I think you mean from bronze to silver. A common mistake.

Nudged Rusha for getting it right, against the best efforts of one or two...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
It is? I mean ... of course it is!

What'd I win?
For actually knowing what you're talking about? The enmity of a number of people who live by the seat of their pants and do most of their thinking there too.

Noted ASCon trying on the martyr's robes (they seemed itchy)...
Quote:
Quote:
Debate me anna, don't report me,
It's not really an either/or.

Quote:
debate me. You're a typical liberal, attempting to silence the truth. I see your kind hourly.
Rather, she's illustrating the truth of your methodology and limitation. That seems fair, since you were doing it first. The liberal nonsense, associated with anna, just goes to your desperation, I suppose.

Quote:
...You know your limitations.
If you understood yours I wonder what you'd be doing instead of posting here?

Things were getting scary in the Impeach him thread after Zeke said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
In reality even a true democracy doesn't exist in america, the will of the people doesn't matter.
Then TSF answered...
Quote:
understatement of the year

and ObeyMe is largely to blame

but it was taken from the people long b4 he came along...

God help us

Leading to zoo's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo22 View Post
Wait... Democracy was taken from the people long before Obama came along, and Obama's largely to blame for it?

To which I could only add...
Quote:
Insidious. Apparently the liberals will stop at nothing...including time travel.

Tomorrow...that's just too far away to consider.

(#3015) Old
Over 3000 post club

Memento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peers
March 11th, 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
I'm amused by the number of tards here who read that headline as:
"Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read - Not One Single Word"

Most educated people would read it as:
"Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read Effectively"

or

"Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read As Well As They Should"

or

"Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read Well Enough To Succeed In College Or Life"

Rudolf Flesch must be rolling over in his grave.
Actually most people read the headline as:

Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read

Mostly because that's how it was written.
Oh, me...

Calvin: (after a long pause) I canít tell if thatís funny or really scary.
Anti-Death

2024 Life by Delmar: Homosexuality legal in all states; Government healthcare with abortion; Outlawing Bible by broadcast by hate crime laws

Closed Thread

Tags
a humorous thread., bacon, not a goodbye thread., the best of town heretic, town heretic