TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion > Exclusively Christian Theology
Reload this Page ECT: Advice for the Theologically Burned-Out
Exclusively Christian Theology This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.

(#1) Old
broken

Brother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peers
Advice for the Theologically Burned-Out - June 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM

I used to be a lot more into theological discussion than I am now. I used to be passionate about it.

Some time ago, a confrontation happened here on this site that bloodied my nose a little and caused me to doubt. . . well, everything. Looking back, I shouldn't have let things get to me as much as I did. The chink in my armor came in the form of someone from my past who'd tracked me to this site (I made the questionable choice of going by my real name, back then.) The net effect of the encounter was self-doubt followed by several years of theological freefall.

Now, I'm desiring, if not to get back to where I once was, to at least regain that passion I once had. Any ideas where to start?

God is solitary in His excellency. --Arthur Pink

(#2) Old
Ugly Moonshine Man

Thunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peers
Thunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peers
June 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Start with your passion for God...it will naturally flow from there

(#3) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
June 9th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Vinny View Post
I used to be a lot more into theological discussion than I am now. I used to be passionate about it.

Some time ago, a confrontation happened here on this site that bloodied my nose a little and caused me to doubt. . . well, everything. Looking back, I shouldn't have let things get to me as much as I did. The chink in my armor came in the form of someone from my past who'd tracked me to this site (I made the questionable choice of going by my real name, back then.) The net effect of the encounter was self-doubt followed by several years of theological freefall.

Now, I'm desiring, if not to get back to where I once was, to at least regain that passion I once had. Any ideas where to start?

Here?

Now?

Give me a goofy theological opinion to attack.

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#4) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
June 9th, 2013, 07:10 PM

sorry - that came off more flip than i meant

what do you like to discuss?

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#5) Old
TOL Subscriber

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers

Quote:

Been there, I overcame it, you can too.
Pray, listen and learn like we ll do.
We are all in the same boat trying to get to the other side.
Join us on our trip.

Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

(#6) Old
Over 500 post club

Idolater will become famous soon enoughIdolater will become famous soon enoughIdolater will become famous soon enoughIdolater will become famous soon enough

Paul in Romans wrote, "I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." What is "the fulness of the Gentiles"?

(#7) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Lazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselves
June 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Start in the faith in simple things with the personal Jesus, without debate which often leads to arguing about nothing of much value.

If possible find fellowship with the likes of ---

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

but when you find them, do not wreck it with theological arguements. Just listen for what the Lord says to you.

However one can at anytime start with a fellowship of two and do the same as above.

In time it will grow in quality, and then in number, not the other way round.

LA

Many get called to be saved, then take upon themselves the demons of the fallen church before they give their life to God in return.

(#8) Old
Conjunction junction, what's your function?

The Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peers
The Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peers
June 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from. I guess the question to ask yourself is what your purpose when you enter a discussion/debate. Over the years I have observed that people get involved in Internet debates, not to share or exchange ideas, but just to prove someone wrong and belittle them when they don't come around to your way of thinking. You see that often here at TOL. But I have seen it across many types of discussion boards. This cartoon says it all.

Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
. -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Last edited by The Berean; June 9th, 2013 at 08:51 PM..

(#9) Old
The Flying Ban Hammer ✈

Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
June 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Make Christ your focus and spend time in prayer and in the scripture. That will help you keep your bearings. I recently had a goof up and free fall. My foundation helped me to recover quickly.

(#10) Old
:doh:

Lon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peers
Lon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peers
June 9th, 2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzl Kett View Post
Make Christ your focus and spend time in prayer and in the scripture. That will help you keep your bearings. I recently had a goof up and free fall. My foundation helped me to recover quickly.
▲This▲ I was just about to type the same thing.

Get your bible and start on a passage. When I was a younger believer, I'd grab Navigator books and work through a book of the bible answering questions but there are some free materials online you could download too.

Spend about 15 minutes at least a day reading and then, however long you can, praying.

The Lord's Prayer is a good model:
Quote:
Mat 6:9 Our Father, who is in Heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Adoration - Telling Him what He means to you and what you appreciate and love of Him.

Quote:
Mat 6:10 Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Meditation - Looking for what He has taught you in scripture today, etc. It is listening to God and looking for His agenda such as "Lord, what would you have me do today? What is your world agenda?"
Quote:
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread;
Supplication - asking prayers
Quote:
Mat 6:12 and forgive us our debts as we also forgive our debtors.
Intercession - praying about getting it right with brothers and sisters
Quote:
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil. For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Guidance

For me, I like to walk and talk and get in nature if I can during the praying portion. Just getting outside for a few minutes alone on a starry night and praying can help focus my prayer time. I'm not too far from the beach and can see a portion of the water from my home too.

Omniscient without man's say or qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
No possible limitation other than in man's wishful finite inanity Isaiah
40:25 Joshua 24:15
Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. *************************************

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

(#11) Old
Over 6000 post club

Colossians has been getting noticedColossians has been getting noticedColossians has been getting noticedColossians has been getting noticedColossians has been getting noticedColossians has been getting noticed
June 10th, 2013, 04:00 AM

Idolater.

Paul in Romans wrote, "I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." What is "the fulness of the Gentiles"?
It is explained in my thread: "Expounding Romans 11:25,26"

(#12) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
June 10th, 2013, 04:34 AM

Avoid trolls.

Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

(#13) Old
Independent Free Grace believer

Totton Linnet is well respected by his peersTotton Linnet is well respected by his peers
Totton Linnet is well respected by his peersTotton Linnet is well respected by his peersTotton Linnet is well respected by his peersTotton Linnet is well respected by his peersTotton Linnet is well respected by his peersTotton Linnet is well respected by his peers
June 10th, 2013, 05:49 AM

People who believe that they chose Jesus of their own freewill and serve Him thus are easily stumbled in this way. None of us can possibly live up to the charge "you say you are a christian...but you did this or you did that inconsistency"

My only claim on God is His grace toward me a sinner, He had mercy, He saved me. That's it folks, nobody can throw down this testimony, no devil in hell can make me doubt. My testimony defeats all who would come against me or accuse me.

Therefore come out of freewill salvation and freewill service and discipleship...get FREE.

My only message to others is let Jesus set YOU free.

One lavished upon in the Beloved
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/blog.php?u=10603

(#14) Old
Silver Member

PureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peers
June 10th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Let go of the "armor". You don't need to fight with anyone. Just be honest, and share your experience, strength and hope with people. And understand that it's up to them if and how they choose to take it.

We're glad you're here.

(#15) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
June 10th, 2013, 06:10 AM

you don't have to respond to every post
even if it is about catholic
just go after the ones that move you
and
just ask a question
if
you are not sure what to say about it

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost: