TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Favorite Quotations
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#256) Old
Your Friendly Neighborhood

Brother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2013, 04:38 PM

"Religion must remain an outlet for people who say to themselves, 'I am not the kind of person I want to be.' It must never sink into an assemblage of the self-satisfied." --Frank Herbert, Dune

God is solitary in His excellency. --Arthur Pink

(#257) Old
Look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
November 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM

A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point. We have all experienced the futility of trying to change a strong conviction, especially if the convinced person has some investment in his belief. We are familiar with the variety of ingenious defenses with which people protect their convictions, managing to keep them unscathed through the most devastating attacks.

But man's resourcefulness goes beyond simply protecting a belief. Suppose an individual believes something with his whole heart; suppose further that he has a commitment to this belief, that he has taken irrevocable actions because of it; finally, suppose that he is presented with evidence, unequivocal and undeniable evidence, that his belief is wrong: what will happen? The individual will frequently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before. Indeed, he may even show a new fervor about convincing and converting other people to his view.

Leon Festinger

(#258) Old
Look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
November 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM

This is the essence of the transaction between storyteller and audience. The "true" story is not the one that exists in my mind; it is certainly not the written words on the bound paper that you hold in your hands. The story in my mind is nothing but a hope; the text of the story is the tool I created in order to try to make that hope a reality. The story itself, the true story, is the one that the audience members create in their minds, guided and shaped by my text, but then transformed, elucidated, expanded, edited, and clarified by their own experience, their own desires, their own hopes and fears.

The story of Ender's Game is not this book, though it has that title emblazoned on it. The story is the one that you and I will construct together in your memory. If the story means anything to you at all, then when you remember it afterward, think of it, not as something I created, but rather as something that we made together.

Orson Scott Card

From his introduction to Ender's Game. I loved this; it captivated me, this idea of "something we made together."

(#259) Old
Over 3000 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
November 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM

"The nature of parents is to embarass merely by existing, just as it is the nature of children of a certain age to cringe with embarassment, shame, and mortification should their parents so much as speak to them on the street."
-Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

(#260) Old
Look at the stars

December 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM

I know not anything more pleasant or more instructive than to compare experience with expectation, or to register from time to time the difference between idea and reality. It is by this kind of observation that we grow daily less liable to be disappointed.

Samuel Johnson

(#261) Old
Over 3000 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
December 20th, 2013, 12:42 PM

"I was sorry to have my name mentioned as one of the great authors, because they have a sad habit of dying off. Chaucer is dead. Spencer is dead. So is Milton; so is Shakespeare. And I’m not feeling so well myself."
-Mark Twain

"I hate atrocities, crimes against humanity, and war. But I repeat myself."
-Cat Stevens

"Music is a proud, temperamental mistress. Give her the time and attention she deserves, and she's yours. Slight her and there will come a day when you call and she will not answer."
-Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

"The Kraken stirred. And ten million sushi dinners cried out for vengeance."
-Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White