TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page How did Adam's body last so long?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#166) Old
Over 5000 post club

One Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2012, 05:44 AM

Help meet simply means a suitable helper. Now, if Adam was to go forth and multiply, then a mate would certainly be suitable for that task.

(#167) Old
TOL Subscriber

jeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
Help meet simply means a suitable helper. Now, if Adam was to go forth and multiply, then a mate would certainly be suitable for that task.
hmmm....

I take it you've never had a suitable helper

or have any concept what that would mean to a lonely/only guy on earth.

maybe Adam was made without a lower end.... like a disembodied torso floating about the air...

Anyway all of that is explained in the Jewish oral tradition of the story, in which his first wife Lilith would not obey him, hence God made him a suitable helper out of his own DNA.....

in any event, man and woman were told to multiply in the previous chapter, Genesis 1:28, long before Eve was made.

keep shinin

jerm

(#168) Old
Over 6000 post club

Stuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peers
February 27th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdemo View Post
but heck since you are so much wiser and accomplished
Atheists do tend to know more about religious matters than theists. At least that is what surveys tell us.

Quote:
then them perhaps you should just make your own translation one that fits your own view would be best.
I am not a christian, I use the normal dictionary, not the one out of Harry Potter that changes its definitions to suit the pickle the christian finds himself in at the time.

helpmate Noun: A helpful companion or partner, esp. one's husband or wife.

(But not exclusively)

Quote:
You provided no reference whatsoever as to the relevance it had to the conversation and direction to go as far as to find out, eg, was it a person, place, thing, time period, author/book, etc etc.
Are you completely helpless?

Quote:
No I don't just look up random words people post and then assume whichever reference I find it is they are speaking about......

now that we know it is a person, a specific person with a specific agenda considering how old the reference is (and how much science has advanced since then) again what relevance does it have today?

better yet what specifically where you expecting from me, I asked about the 6000 "says who?" you say "Ussher" I say ok then....now what?

a who cares is in order on my end, but what relevance does it have to you?

care to share it with us?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ussher

Quote:
Well considering it is the tradition by which we have the Bible it is as good a source as any to look for insight into it's various meanings.

We are speaking mostly hypothetically about religious text (hence the theology website), they are not "historic facts" never claimed they were, some myths have a basis in truth some do not.
These do not.

But thanks for confirming that we are engaged in a discussion of a fantasy view of history.

Quote:
it's no more a fact than any other theories in the scientific community on life origin,
You clearly donít know what a scientific theory is, either. Do you actually own a dictionary yourself?

Stuart