TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Favorite Quotations
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#316) Old
Journeyman

Fiat Tenebris will become famous soon enoughFiat Tenebris will become famous soon enoughFiat Tenebris will become famous soon enoughFiat Tenebris will become famous soon enough
August 24th, 2014, 02:47 PM

I thought I'd sneak in what Marx actually said, perhaps it'll cut down on misquotation of him a little.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people."

He goes on to say something very important:

"...criticism had plucked the flowers from the chain not so that men could wear the chain without consolation, but so that they could break the chain and cull the living flower.”

(#317) Old
Journeyman

Fiat Tenebris will become famous soon enoughFiat Tenebris will become famous soon enoughFiat Tenebris will become famous soon enoughFiat Tenebris will become famous soon enough
August 26th, 2014, 05:44 PM

I thought some of my Christian comrades here may appreciate this Bible battle.

Desperate Housewives Church Scene

(#318) Old
TOL Subscriber

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
August 26th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat Tenebris View Post
I thought I'd sneak in what Marx actually said, perhaps it'll cut down on misquotation of him a little.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people."

He goes on to say something very important:

"...criticism had plucked the flowers from the chain not so that men could wear the chain without consolation, but so that they could break the chain and cull the living flower.”
Marx had a problem neatly summed by the tale of a blind man who, grasping the tail of an elephant was certain that he held a snake. Or, he had a nearly inescapably myopic context that only seemed universal because of the time he lived in and the limitations that imposed upon an otherwise agile mind.

But this is a quote thread so here's one I meant and will likely post in the feminism thread shortly:

"Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating." Andrea Dworkin

(#319) Old
broken

Brother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peers
August 26th, 2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
Marx had a problem neatly summed by the tale of a blind man who, grasping the tail of an elephant was certain that he held a snake. Or, he had a nearly inescapably myopic context that only seemed universal because of the time he lived in and the limitations that imposed upon an otherwise agile mind.

I liked the one about how he shot an elephant in his pajamas better.

If all you have is a decision for Christ, and no delight in Christ, you don't have Christ. -- John Piper

(#320) Old
Silver Member

Saved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peersSaved.One.by.Grace is well respected by his peers
August 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Vinny View Post

I liked the one about how he shot an elephant in his pajamas better.
How the elephant got in his pajamas he'll never know.

Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” ― Philip K. Dick

"Nothing got him angrier than when people implied he was paranoid. It made him feel persecuted." Robert Sheckley

“Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?”
― John Keats

(#321) Old
Journeyman

August 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat Tenebris View Post
I thought some of my Christian comrades here may appreciate this Bible battle.

Desperate Housewives Church Scene
Not private any more.

(#322) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
August 28th, 2014, 02:29 PM

Sid, Diego found a shortcut.
No, thanks. I choose life.

Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.