TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Scripture translation: why should we bother?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#16) Old
Over 6000 post club

Krsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peers
June 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aurelius View Post
You might also wish to translate to other language groups and cultures other than English.

I spent two years translating the Hebrew and Greek into Japanese through the Kobe Lutheran Theological Seminary.

Further than merely learning the original cultures which vary through their own histories, recognising my own culture, I also had to learn the cu.ture into which I was translating inorder that It would not misrepresent the words and intent of Scripture.

An example of this is from New Guinea, where Jesus moved on a "stones throw" to pray. The villagers took this to mean that Jesus picked up a stone, threw it, went to where it landed and then started to pray. We know however, that this particular idiom mearly means he moved on " a certain distance" which would be comparable to about as far as most of us would through a stone.
Oh those primitive New Guineans. Literalists!

Atheism is a advertising nightmare as in what you see is what you get and when you die that's it. - DaveDodo007

Totally depraved doctrine.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

(#17) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
June 29th, 2011, 01:39 AM

the way some use the bible makes me want to

throw up

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#18) Old
Veteran

john_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enough
June 29th, 2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krsto View Post
Oh those primitive New Guineans. Literalists!
not only that but when the translation team tried to paraphrase the intent by giving a numerical distance, the natives throught he measused the distance out before he started to pray.

Idioms may make the process more difficult but dont invalidate the necessity of translation.

On the road to Emmaeus Christ opened the words of the Law, Writings and Prophets, that the Son of Man must be persecuted, die and rise again

(#19) Old
Over 6000 post club

Krsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peers
June 29th, 2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aurelius View Post
not only that but when the translation team tried to paraphrase the intent by giving a numerical distance, the natives throught he measused the distance out before he started to pray.

Idioms may make the process more difficult but dont invalidate the necessity of translation.
I was just poking fun at literalists of today, comparing them to primitive people. I know, I know, my humor is a bit dry.

Where you with Lutheran Bible Translators?

Atheism is a advertising nightmare as in what you see is what you get and when you die that's it. - DaveDodo007

Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

(#20) Old
Over 6000 post club

June 29th, 2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
the way some use the bible makes me want to

throw up
translation?

Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

(#21) Old
Veteran

john_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enoughjohn_aurelius will become famous soon enough
June 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krsto View Post
I was just poking fun at literalists of today, comparing them to primitive people. I know, I know, my humor is a bit dry.

Where you with Lutheran Bible Translators?
In Western Japan, Kobe. I had two-fold reason for beeing there. Firstly to teaching the locals in how to use Hebrew and Greek/ Japanese Lexicons and secondly to make sure that the new translation wasnt open to misinterpretation.

On the road to Emmaeus Christ opened the words of the Law, Writings and Prophets, that the Son of Man must be persecuted, die and rise again