TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Awards and Honors > Thread ARCHIVE and Hall of Fame Threads
Reload this Page God's prescriptive will and His decretive will
Thread ARCHIVE and Hall of Fame Threads Classic threads from TheologyOnLine and TruthSmack.com.

(#1) Old
You talkin' to me?

Knight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peers
Knight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peers
God's prescriptive will and His decretive will - September 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM

This is a continuation from the Open Theism thread. I wanted to separate it out so we could focus in on it.

Let me set it up...

On the other thread I asked Jim... "Does God's "prescriptive will" obey/follow His "decretive will" in every and all cases?"

To which Jim responded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilston
No. In fact, rarely does God's prescriptive will line up with His decretive will. For example, God prescription is that each and every man repent and submit to His law. But God's decree is that most men are unrepentant and reject His law. And all of it is for God's good purposes (i.e. His decretive will).

Thanks for your questions,
AATGD, OC.
TITR,
:j
Thanks Jim. I wonder why God would intentionally decree things that go against His will? That seems to be my biggest stumbling block regarding your position.

Let me try to explain how I view God's will. (then you can mock my position)

(keep in mind this is just an analogy it will have flaws and break down in parts, so humor me)

Imagine a dirt path leading through a forest. The path has boundaries (say like a fence). You cannot go outside the path (the fence keeps you on the path). You also cannot go backwards on the path, you must keep moving forward.

So, you keep moving forward and you cannot leave the path.

Yet as you move along the path you can freely choose how you move down the path. You can walk on the right side or you might choose to walk on the left side. You might trip and fall! You might skip down the path. Maybe you will sing or hum or whistle as you walk down the path. The way you walk down the path is almost completely up to you.

The path is like God's decretive will (as you call it). God has set a boundary that keeps our wills limited. Our will is free but not unlimited. It's constrained to the path i.e., God has set how wide the path is and God knows when the path will turn or when the path will end. We cannot thwart the overall layout of the path.

Now...
God doesn't want us to trip and scratch our knee. He doesn't want us to walk on the left side of the path, He wants us to walk on the right side of the path. God knows the best way to walk down the path and He tells us all sorts of principles that help us to know the best way to walk down the path. He doesn't want us hurting others on the path along the way etc. etc. etc., all of this stuff within the boundary of the path is God's prescriptive will (as you call it). God doesn't use His decretive will to make us fall and hurt ourselves or hurt others on the path, He only uses His decretive will as a boundary for the path.

That's the way I see God's prescriptive will and His decretive will.

It seems to me that you believe that God's decretive will not only defines the path but also every detail of how we walk down the path, i.e., how we hurt others on the path, how and when we fall, and even how the dust kicks up when we hit the ground etc. etc. etc. I have a hard time understanding how God's prescriptive will comes into play in any real way under your view. But I fully admit I could just be misunderstanding your position and I don't want to do that.

Maybe you could use my analogy (about the path of life) and tell me how you think your belief about God's will(s) fit into my analogy.

Again, thanks for all your effort on TOL, I really do appreciate you and all the thought and compassion you display on TOL.

DOWNLOAD the FREE TOL App available for iPhone, iPad, and Android.

Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter

TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

-----------
Bibles for sale | Logos Bible Software 15% Off

Last edited by Knight; September 19th, 2006 at 04:33 PM..

(#2) Old
Over 1500 post club

Agape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputation
September 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Are there really such words as "prescriptive will" and "decretive will"?:squint:

Mrs. Truthsmacker!
Jesus may love you, but I have to work at it!
For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

(#3) Old
You talkin' to me?

Knight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peers
Knight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peersKnight is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape4Robin
Are there really such words as "prescriptive will" and "decretive will"?:squint:
I don't know... but if there isn't, there should be.

"prescriptive will" and "decretive will" are Jim's terms, that's why I am using them, not to mention that off the top of my head I can't think of any better terms so I am thankful Jim thought of them.

-----------

(#4) Old
Over 1500 post club

Agape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputationAgape4Robin has a large reputation
September 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight
I don't know... but if there isn't, there should be.

"prescriptive will" and "decretive will" are Jim's terms, that's why I am using them, not to mention that off the top of my head I can't think of any better terms so I am thankful Jim thought of them.
Thanks Knight!

And where would I find the description of these terms?

Mrs. Truthsmacker!
Jesus may love you, but I have to work at it!
For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

(#5) Old
You talkin' to me?

September 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Knight!

Well... you could read my opening post in this thread where I expalin how I view the terms.

Here are a couple quotes from Jim that might help you understand how he views the terms...
Quote:
Disobedience to God's prescriptive will is true disobedience. There's no such thing as "obeying" or "disobeying" God's decretive will. It is inexorable.
Quote:
No. In fact, rarely does God's prescriptive will line up with His decretive will. For example, God prescription is that each and every man repent and submit to His law. But God's decree is that most men are unrepentant and reject His law. And all of it is for God's good purposes (i.e. His decretive will).

Thanks for your questions,
AATGD, OC.
TITR,
:j

-----------

(#6) Old
TOL Subscriber

godrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM

A decretal system and a 'two wills' concept are deductive attempts to prop up a flawed theology. They are not inductive or based on sound exegesis. The mental gymnastics reminds me of Molinism's confusing ideas (that do not resolve the problematic issues).

Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

(#7) Old
You talkin' to me?

September 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrulz
A decretal system and a 'two wills' concept are deductive attempts to prop up a flawed theology. They are not inductive or based on sound exegesis. The mental gymnastics reminds me of Molinism's confusing ideas (that do not resolve the problematic issues).
I think I disagree.

Even from the OV perspective an argument can be made that God has more than one type of will.

After all... God wills that we do not hurt one another yet He also wills to give us a will of our own in which we often hurt one another.

-----------

(#8) Old
TOL Subscriber

godrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think I disagree.

Even from the OV perspective an argument can be made that God has more than one type of will.

After all... God wills that we do not hurt one another yet He also wills to give us a will of our own in which we often hurt one another.

I think I need to be more precise. I also talk about a sovereign will, moral will, will of men, permissive will, etc. Different Greek words are used for 'will'.

What I object to is that God has a secret, hidden, mysterious will that is contrary to His revealed will (they are in conflict or man cannot understand His higher ways...evil is not God's will....saying that He wanted or caused evil for a higher purpose contrary to His revealed will makes God schizo and acting contrary to His character).

Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

(#9) Old
Over 3000 post club

Vaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peers
Vaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Knight!

If you find a "Hilston" post, it will most likley have a link in his signature or at the bottom to an article he wrote on this. That will get you up to speed on what they mean.

Marge: "Aren't you going to give him the last rites?"
Rev. Lovejoy: "That's Catholic, Marge - you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance."

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered the next round.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

(#10) Old
Over 3000 post club

GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Knight!

Check out one of the links in Jim's signiture, I think one of them leads to his website which goes into great lengths on the topic.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see V45 already said this.

"I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

(#11) Old
You talkin' to me?

September 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmiley
Check out one of the links in Jim's signiture, I think one of them leads to his website which goes into great lengths on the topic.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see V45 already said this.
Actually that link is one of the reasons I created this thread.

Jim's article does explain his position some, but still leaves me saying.... hmmmm I just don't get it.

Hopefully this thread will shed new light.

-----------

Last edited by Knight; September 19th, 2006 at 05:30 PM..

(#12) Old
Over 3000 post club

GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Jim's article does explain his position some, but till leaves me saying.... hmmmm I just don't get it.
I read it, and I'm with ya!

"I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

(#13) Old
Over 1500 post club

Hilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peersHilston is well respected by his peers
September 19th, 2006, 11:40 PM

I have a reply in the works. I haven't forgotten about this thread.

All according to God's decrees, of course.
Jim

(#14) Old
Over 2500 post club

billwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peersbillwald is well respected by his peers
September 20th, 2006, 02:03 AM

In other words, Plan A and Plan B.

(#15) Old
Over 4000 post club

themuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peersthemuzicman is well respected by his peers
September 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I think I disagree.

But those actions aren't HIS will, they're OURS.

And God's purpose in giving us a free will wasn't for the purpose of hurting one another.

Thus, God isn't decreeing the sin of man. Man sins against God's decree.

Muz

I don't care how systematic your theology is, until you show me how biblical it is.

2 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Tags
calvinism, open theism