TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Did Jesus know that he was going to die on the Cross?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
Veteran

sdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticed
Exclamation Did Jesus know that he was going to die on the Cross? - April 25th, 2010, 04:21 AM

This question came up yesterday over a cup of coffee with a few guys from fellowship.

In the discussion, comments and questions came up like.

- Was Jesus born knowing that he would one day be crucified
- Was this revelation given to him as a boy or later in his life.

Did Jesus only find out in the last days of his life that this is what his end would be? Given that in the hours before his crucifixion he sweated blood.

What would be your responses to this question?

Luke 1:37

(#2) Old
Journeyman

curtisloew will become famous soon enoughcurtisloew will become famous soon enough
April 25th, 2010, 05:03 AM

I don't think that Christ was aware that he would one day have to be sacrificed for the sins of the world, his shedding blood was of course necessary. The significance of the cross is a CULTURAL one, i think that although Christ knew that one day he had to die (taking him to be God) this does not mean to say that he knew he would be crucified.

I think, being God, he would always know this. Being a man he grew into this knowledge.

(#3) Old
Sweep the leg

Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
April 25th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Of course he knew. He is God in the flesh, and knew what the scripture said. It was the rest of the world that was hidden from his hidden plan.

Shall I not drink from the cup

Jesus saves completely.

Titus 1:10-11

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.climatedepot.com/

(#4) Old
Veteran

sdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticedsdgareth has been getting noticed
April 25th, 2010, 05:20 AM

I asked this question, as there is nowhere in the bible that I can find that it actually states that Jesus knew that he was going to be crucified

(#5) Old
Veteran

April 25th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisloew View Post
I don't think that Christ was aware that he would one day have to be sacrificed for the sins of the world, his shedding blood was of course necessary. The significance of the cross is a CULTURAL one, i think that although Christ knew that one day he had to die (taking him to be God) this does not mean to say that he knew he would be crucified.

I think, being God, he would always know this. Being a man he grew into this knowledge.
Yeah I tend to agree with you at this point

(#6) Old
Gold level Subscriber

bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
April 25th, 2010, 05:34 AM

I have come to believe that at His baptism, when the Holy Spirit came down and said, "This is my beloved Son. In Him I am well pleased". I agree with Nick that He must always have known his destiny but at the moment of baptism He was informed that, now it begins. We do not know how much else might have been revealed to Him at that time. peace, bybee

(#7) Old
Over 6000 post club

One Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgareth View Post
I asked this question, as there is nowhere in the bible that I can find that it actually states that Jesus knew that he was going to be crucified
He knew He was going to die, and I'm fairly certain He knew that's how the Romans put people to death. I think even Forrest Gump could have figured it out from there.

(#8) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

jamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peersjamie is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up (John 3:14)
Are you thinking Jesus was not aware of how the Romans lifted up someone?

Jamie

(#9) Old
TOL Legend

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 11:48 AM

"Father, if it be possiable, take this cup from me"

He knew all. But he was not God, he knew because he was filled with the spirit of his Father.

Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

(#10) Old
TOL Legend

elohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peers
elohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
The crucifixion was foreshadowed in scripture...

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

John 12:32-33 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die.

Jesus certainly knew he would die by crucifixion.

(#11) Old
Over 3000 post club

Zeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peersZeke is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Luke 2:49-And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my father's business? 50-And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.

Luke 9:44-Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men.
45-But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

Luke 18:31-Then he took unto the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. 32-For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: 33-And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
34-And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.

John 17:5-And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self (2Cor 5:19) with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

1Cor 2:7-8 was the reason it was hidden from man and the carnel spirits, the power behind the world leaders.

Grace, Zeke.

(#12) Old
Journeyman

WalkinDude is an unknown quantity at this point
April 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Considering crucifixions were common back then, especially if you were claiming to be God's son, is it not suprising he knew he would be crucified?
Nothing supernatural about that.

(#13) Old
TOL Legend

PlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peers
PlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peersPlastikBuddha is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
This question came up yesterday over a cup of coffee with a few guys from fellowship.

In the discussion, comments and questions came up like.

- Was Jesus born knowing that he would one day be crucified
- Was this revelation given to him as a boy or later in his life.

Did Jesus only find out in the last days of his life that this is what his end would be? Given that in the hours before his crucifixion he sweated blood.

What would be your responses to this question?

It's impossible to know what He knew about the course of His mission and how well He knew it- in general or in grisly particular.

"Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us--if at all--not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men." ... T.S. Eliot
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

(#14) Old
Hi

GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
GuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peersGuySmiley is well respected by his peers
April 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Of course He knew beforehand, but the question is when. Did He know from birth? We can only speculate. But clearly He didnt have the full knowledge of the Father, so its possible He didn't know until later in life.

"I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

(#15) Old
Over 1000 post club

fzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputationfzappa13 has a large reputation
April 27th, 2010, 07:32 AM

I can't believe no one has brought up the 22nd Psalm ...