Originally Posted by Traditio
I'm not entirely sure what those strange beliefs are. What are my strange theological beliefs? I'm Catholic.
Sorry, should have clarified better; I am Protestant, so to me, many Catholic teachings are strange. Perhaps you do not believe all of these...
* transubstantiation (not supported by scripture)
* papal infallibility ( he is only a man)
* worship of and prayers to Mary and "Saints" (paramount to idolatry to me... "Thou shalt have no other gods ..)
* praying the Rosary (rote prayer? why pray the same thing over and over again? Why pray to Mary?)
* praying to the dead (not supported by scripture)
* purgatory (not supported by scripture)
* acts of penance for remission of sin (Christ paid for sin, acts of penance are of no value, unless you are making restitution to the person sinned against, e.g. if you steal and later repay the stolen money...)
* confession of sin to a priest (Jesus is our High Priest and intercedes for us; we have direct access to the Father via Jesus)
* forgiveness of sin given by the priest (how can another man pass forgiveness when the trespass is against God, not the man/priest?)
* the forbidding of marriage for priests ( not supported by scripture anywhere that I can find)
Although I have friends and relatives who are Catholic, I would not date someone who is Catholic due to the vast differences in belief systems. It would make for a huge area of disagreement and conflict which would not be healthy for any relationship.