TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Videogame Discussion Thread v2.0
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#1) Old
TOL Legend

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Videogame Discussion Thread v2.0 - August 10th, 2010, 10:57 AM

A year or two ago we had an awesome thread about videogames at the time and I thought with the great year gaming is having (in quality releases) and the upcoming next few months it would be great to bring the thread back.

It's been a great year for gaming so far with many AAA titles coming out already and I thought I'd mention what I've played first.

We have what has been my favorite game of the year so far but only by a little, Mass Effect 2, leading it off in early January. The space opera tale of Commander Sheppard who faces the struggle to maintain peace or to shatter a galactic multicultural society depending on what path you choose. Keep in mind it is rated Mature and has strong language, sexual scenarios and violence so it's not a game to allow your children to play, unless you're cool with that.

Mass Effect 2 Trailer

Another instant classic was Red Dead Redemption. The story of a outlaw turned government pawn to help bring "law and order" to the old west. The perfect sandbox title with an amazing story and truly sad ending that must be played to be believed. This game is also rated Mature and is probably farther into that scale than Mass Effect 2, so another game that's for a mature crowd only.

Red Dead Redemption Trailer

Next up is a couple PS3 classics. God of War 3 and Heavy Rain. These games are system defining and truly show off the power of the PS3 and what it's capable of. God of War 3 is the conclusion to the trilogy featuring Kratos, a spartan locked in an struggle with Olympus and all the gods of greek mythology. In his rage he seeks vengence on the entire lot of them including his supposed father Zeus. Heavy Rain is a murder mystery game with the most unique gameplay and beautiful graphics that you will find this console cycle. You play the part of several characters in the story, one that has many different endings that can range from all the characters dying to all of them surviving. It all depends on what decisions you make. Both games are highly mature and not recommended for anyone weak of heart. Here is the trailer for Heavy Rain, this is gameplay graphics not cinema even though it may look it.

Heavy Rain Trailer

The one family themed AAA title to be released so far this year is Mario Galaxy 2. It's my favorite 3D Mario game and is the pinnacle of creativity and imagination that only Nintendo can deliver. New additions include new powerups including Rock Mario and Cloud Mario and the first 3D playable appearance of Yoshi.

Mario Galaxy 2

So those are my favorite games released this year and pretty much my favorite games of the last few years. That's only the first half of the year however. Now we are approaching the holiday season here shortly so the traditional slew of great titles are about to hit.

It all starts today with Madden 11. I was so impressed with the demo that I actually lined up last night to pick the game up at midnight. I braved the smelly and linguistically challenged 12 year olds that were oddly already almost my size to get my hands on the Drew Brees adorned Madden 11. New this year is the Gameflow system which makes play calling easier and cuts the game time by almost half. There is a new motion system that makes running the ball and playing defense leagues more responsive. There is also a 3v3 co op mode that lets people pick what section of the team(QB/O-line, RB/HB, receivers and vice versa for defense) to control online which gives online team play much more meaning except when your fighting with said 12 year olds about who gets QB duty. Overall, I'm very pleased so far with this new Madden and I hope they keep these improvements.

The list of great games I'm picking up this half of the year and holiday season goes like this.

Halo Reach 360 rated Mature
Fallout New Vegas 360 rated Mature
Gran Turismo 5 PS3 rating pending but most likely E
Little Big Planet 2 PS3 Most likely E
Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii E
Fable 3 360 rating pending
CoD: Black Ops 360 rating pending
Epic Mickey Wii E
Kirby's Epic Yarn Wii E

Here are some trailers to the games you might not know about

Epic Mickey Trailer

Donkey Kong Country Returns Trailer

Kirby's Epic Yarn Trailer

There are also a ton of other games that I didn't mention that are coming out or are already out. Games like Star Craft 2 (I'm not a pc gamer, I prefer to stay away from computers personally except for times like right now when I'm uhhhhh, studying for school. Heh) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Need For Speed Hp. There has been a real coming out for quality games in the last 18 months that there is truly something for everyone.

So have you played any of the games from earlier this year I mentioned or that I missed?

What games are you looking forward to in the future?

What's the best game you've played this year?

Are you excited for the upcoming motion control wars between Sony and Microsoft?

What is your favorite current console?

Are you excited for the 3DS?

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#2) Old
Silver Member

Vaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peers
Vaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peersVaquero45 is well respected by his peers
August 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM

I stick with PC games lately. We still have an x-box which is getting very dated. lol Would like to get a 360 and/or maybe a Wii

My current take on games:

I'm looking at "Starcraft 2". Might wait till it comes down in price though.
I'm currently playing "Lord of the Rings Online" mostly. Been playing that for over three years. I'm burned out on it but have good friends in it that keep me wanting to play.
Bought "Dragon Age" and it's really impressive and cool, but I rarely make time for it.
Been dabbling with "City Of Heroes" also lately, on a trial account now, it's fun but I'm not sure if I'll buy/sub.
I'm about 100% sure I'll buy "Diablo 3" when it finally shows up.
I love online first person shooters and would like to get into one again, but I think I might be getting too old for twitchy games. lol It's been ugly last few times I played team fortress.

Marge: "Aren't you going to give him the last rites?"
Rev. Lovejoy: "That's Catholic, Marge - you might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance."

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered the next round.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

(#3) Old
Over 4000 post club

Real Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peers
August 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Best game I've played this year, hands down, is Fallout 3. Right up until I ate the radioactive Salisbury Steak. Why is it I'm more afraid of the giant roaches than the zombies and cannibal bandits?

In case you missed it, the storyline takes place several generations after nuclear holocaust. The planet gets bombed to hell. You (the main character) have spent your whole life in an underground utopia called a "vault". However, you're forced to leave and you have to figure out real quick how to survive on the surface. Don't feed the bears.

The game I'm most excited about is Fable 3. John Cleese will voice the butler. I've always appreciated the Fable series for its awesome character development, easy controls, and British quirkiness.

I'm also very excited about this whole 3DS thing. Nintendo is always willing to take more chances and make more innovative decisions than Microsoft and Sony, so I think this is going to be something big.

Last edited by Real Sorceror; August 10th, 2010 at 11:41 AM..

(#4) Old
TOL Legend

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
August 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Yea I'd recommend getting a 360. If you hurry you can get one of the older models which the last ones they made are pretty reliable and you can actually get one for just 149 but you don't get a harddrive. The new ones are pretty cool but you pretty much have to stand them up like a pc tower so that doesn't work for everyone. 360 is the way to go if you want a wider selection of solid games. Wii is all about whatever Nintendo makes and Sony makes great games but they are slow with them and they don't have great online play.

I'd like to play Starcraft 2 but I'm afraid of getting addicted to it and missing out on other games. I can control how much I play console games but with a pc I tend to get addicted to them. Almost went too far with World of Warcraft haha. It's supposed to be a great game but Blizzard only does great

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#5) Old
Over 4000 post club

Real Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peersReal Sorceror is well respected by his peers
August 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero45 View Post
Been dabbling with "City Of Heroes" also lately, on a trial account now, it's fun but I'm not sure if I'll buy/sub.
I'd actually suggest Champions Online. Its made by the same crew and is something of an unofficial sequel. I loved City of Heroes (and Villains), but Champions really takes the cake. The graphical style is very different, but it plays very similar. I just felt Champions was so much more polished and played smoother.

Quote:
I'm about 100% sure I'll buy "Diablo 3" when it finally shows up.
It looks amazing! They've been stalling for a while, though. Not really surprising for Blizzard.

(#6) Old
TOL Legend

August 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Sorceror View Post
The game I'm most excited about is Fable 3. John Cleese will voice the butler. I've always appreciated the Fable series for its awesome character development, easy controls, and British quirkiness.
I think it's going to be one of the best rpgs ever. I've seen some cool videos on it about the new additions and the co op play is supposed to be stellar. That was my only complaint about Fable 2. The co op play was just ehhh, it didn't work right imo. What did you think about Fable 2?

Quote:
I'm also very excited about this whole 3DS thing. Nintendo is always willing to take more chances and make more innovative decisions than Microsoft and Sony, so I think this is going to be something big.
They had me at "No glasses" lol. I'm not big on wearing classes except for when I'm reading. Which I expect, you know, I'll probably wear some with the 3DS since it's a small screen and well two pairs of glasses would suck. When I saw the Ocarina of Time remake I was like, well I'm lining up launch day heh.

(#7) Old
Over 3000 post club

Memento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peers
August 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Best game I've played this year, hands down, is Fallout 3. Right up until I ate the radioactive Salisbury Steak. Why is it I'm more afraid of the giant roaches than the zombies and cannibal bandits?

In case you missed it, the storyline takes place several generations after nuclear holocaust. The planets gets bombed to hell. You (the main character) have spent your whole life in an underground utopia called a "vault". However, you're forced to leave and you have to figure out real quick how to survive on the surface. Don't feed the bears.

As a side note to you and everyone, support your local GameStop part timer, pre-order these titles! It makes us look good.

We've also introduced this new points card which will be available Thursday and if you already have an account it will automatically upgrade. If you don't, that would be the time to get the card.

Also, don't forget Fallout New Vegas.

I'm actually going to be switching my avatar for whatever the next game I'm anticipating (and Fallout is a week before Fable).

Also, I'm excited about a lot of the 3DS games they've announced. Particularly, Legend of Zelda: OoT and of course Kid Icarus.

I am going to be broke... But at least I'll be entertained.

Calvin: (after a long pause) I canít tell if thatís funny or really scary.
Anti-Death

2024 Life by Delmar: Homosexuality legal in all states; Government healthcare with abortion; Outlawing Bible by broadcast by hate crime laws

(#8) Old
TOL Legend

August 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
As a side note to you and everyone, support your local GameStop part timer, pre-order these titles! It makes us look good

I got ya covered dude! I've got Reach, New Vegas, Black OPS and Fable 3 preordered . Do you guys get commission for taking preorders?

Quote:
We've also introduced this new points card which will be available Thursday and if you already have an account it will automatically upgrade. If you don't, that would be the time to get the card.
I've heard of this eh? I don't understand it though. What happens?

Quote:
I'm actually going to be switching my avatar for whatever the next game I'm anticipating (and Fallout is a week before Fable).
That's a great idea, momo. I would get a MC for Reach but he isn't in the game. Oh well lol. I'm kind of glad they changed it. I really loved the Fall of Reach novel so I've been waiting for them to finally make this game for years.

Quote:
Me too, but like if I didn't spend it on games I'd spend it on other stuff. Man's gots to haz a hobby.

(#9) Old
Over 4000 post club

August 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I think it's going to be one of the best rpgs ever. I've seen some cool videos on it about the new additions and the co op play is supposed to be stellar. That was my only complaint about Fable 2. The co op play was just ehhh, it didn't work right imo. What did you think about Fable 2?
Considering I still play Fable 2 regularly, and I'm still unlocking content for it (Highroller Jacket, heck ya!), I think its amazing. The addition of the dog was awesome, the emotes are amazing (Sock Puppet, ftw), and just generally everything about it was what I look for in a game. I forgave the so-so mulitplayer since it wasn't the real focus of the game.

Quote:
They had me at "No glasses" lol. I'm not big on wearing classes except for when I'm reading. Which I expect, you know, I'll probably wear some with the 3DS since it's a small screen and well two pairs of glasses would suck. When I saw the Ocarina of Time remake I was like, well I'm lining up launch day heh.
Don't even get me started on Zelda. I was wearing my triforce t-shirt over the weekend and my aunt asked me if the guy on my shirt was Peter Pan.

(#10) Old
TOL Legend

August 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Considering I still play Fable 2 regularly, and I'm still unlocking content for it (Highroller Jacket, heck ya!), I think its amazing. The addition of the dog was awesome, the emotes are amazing (Sock Puppet, ftw), and just generally everything about it was what I look for in a game. I forgave the so-so mulitplayer since it wasn't the real focus of the game.
I've been playing it too. Usually when a new game is coming out in a series, I replay the old one. I don't think they have a lot in common story wise though. . It's great this time because of the DLC like Knothole Island. Loads of fun. The new co op should more than make up for the last games, lol.

Quote:
Don't even get me started on Zelda. I was wearing my triforce t-shirt over the weekend and my aunt asked me if the guy on my shirt was Peter Pan.
Ouch, I would cry too. I was playing Twilight Princess the other day and my girl called Link gay looking and said I was gay for playing a princess game. I was so sad and angry at the same time and I quckly shot back he is just slightly adrogynous is all. So, feel your pain man.

(#11) Old
Over 3000 post club

Memento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peers
August 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I got ya covered dude! I've got Reach, New Vegas, Black OPS and Fable 3 preordered . Do you guys get commission for taking preorders?
No but we get judged based on our pre-order numbers. There's two big ones: subscriptions (the cards) and pre-orders. Essentially we have a goal of one preorder per hour we work. If we make the goal, it looks good and we can get more hours the next week we work or even get promoted.

Quote:
I've heard of this eh? I don't understand it though. What happens?
Let me get my sheet out for you. If you get the powerup Pro (which is just the card that costs money; same as the Edge Card) you get: 10 points for every dollar spent on New Games and Consoles (although I think they're debating the consoles part), 20 points for every used game and accessory and console, rewards at this site
(still in Beta form for the workers [we got early access last weekend]). Early gaming news, invitations to members-only events, specials and discounts, birthday offers, reserve pick-up bonuses. Entry into monthly drawing of "Epic Reward Giveaway" (e.g. one of a kind trips and experiences from GS). Points do not expire IF there is activity on the card within 12 months of previous transaction. PLUS the pro card keeps all the 10% discounts and 10% bonus on trade-ins. The Pro also gives you an additional 10% on your points per transaction. So if you get 20 points in a transaction, we tack on another 2. You'll also receive the GI mag. There's a Buy 2 get 1 welcome offer (used games). If you do not re-enroll after your 12 month sub, you'll be rolled over to the free version which is the points without any of the discounts or bonuses.

Essentially it's like getting an Edge Card... But with points!

Quote:
That's a great idea, momo. I would get a MC for Reach but he isn't in the game. Oh well lol. I'm kind of glad they changed it. I really loved the Fall of Reach novel so I've been waiting for them to finally make this game for years.
Yeah. Are you getting any of the Collector's Editions?

Quote:
Me too, but like if I didn't spend it on games I'd spend it on other stuff. Man's gots to haz a hobby.
I suppose. Plus I already have this wonderful, amazing flatpanel. What's a man to do?

Anti-Death

2024 Life by Delmar: Homosexuality legal in all states; Government healthcare with abortion; Outlawing Bible by broadcast by hate crime laws

(#12) Old
Over 4000 post club

August 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
As a side note to you and everyone, support your local GameStop part timer, pre-order these titles! It makes us look good.

Also, don't forget Fallout New Vegas.

Also, I'm excited about a lot of the 3DS games they've announced. Particularly, Legend of Zelda: OoT and of course Kid Icarus.

So much good stuff is coming out. Q_Q

Lately I find that most of my game money is going toward the Pathfinder RPG (thats on the pen, paper, and imagination console, for all you videogame-only Nancies). So I'm saving up for just a handful of games that my buddies aren't planning to buy.

For example, I'm looking forward to the new Pokemon: Black & White.....what? Don't judge me!!!

(#13) Old
TOL Legend

August 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No but we get judged based on our pre-order numbers. There's two big ones: subscriptions (the cards) and pre-orders. Essentially we have a goal of one preorder per hour we work. If we make the goal, it looks good and we can get more hours the next week we work or even get promoted.
Thats cool. I figured as much because they do ask every time I go. When E3 hit and dropped all those epic titles, my preorders must have made one dude get promoted lol.

Quote:
Essentially it's like getting an Edge Card... But with points!
Epic, man. I'm going to get the pro, just for the percent off. So does 100 points equel a dollar or something?

Quote:
Yeah. Are you getting any of the Collector's Editions?
Doubt it. I'd love to but I'll have to let a couple other games go if I did. I haven't made a lot of money this summer because of all the heat and a massive flood we had here that's had me grounded for a few weeks. Have you seen the Assassin's Creed: B Collectors? Oh man, I want that so baaaadly.

Quote:
I suppose. Plus I already have this wonderful, amazing flatpanel. What's a man to do?
Exactly . Those are definitely for training for the upcoming zombie apocalypse with games like Left 4 Dead. Just watching TV on them just seems like it doesn't serve their purpose well

(#14) Old
Over 3000 post club

August 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:

For example, I'm looking forward to the new Pokemon: Black & White.....what? Don't judge me!!!
Me too! I'm getting Black while the lady is going with White. It's stupid that they switched the legendaries colors for the boxes though. That black one (Zekrom I think) looks friggin' awesome. But no... I have to get that weird white one that looks like a snow fox had a bad hair day.

Anti-Death

(#15) Old
TOL Legend

August 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Pathfinder RPG (thats on the pen, paper, and imagination console, for all you videogame-only Nancies).
Believe it or not I've not used a pen or paper in years, for anything more than signing my name on the back of a check lol. Then it's just like scribbles because I don't really remember how to write cursive . Well maybe that isn't so , but everything is so digital now. Do they make digital table top rpgs or is that called Dragon Age?

Quote:
No judgement from me! I'm thinking of picking up the DS poke games when I get a 3DS since they are backwards compatible