TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Politics
Reload this Page Did Atrazine make you a homosexual?
Politics Current Events, Abortion, homosexuality, gun control, public schools, welfare, taxes, government etc.

(#1) Old
TOL Subscriber

elohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peers
elohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peers
Did Atrazine make you a homosexual? - September 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM

I have to imagine that, after reading this article in the Chicago Tribune, someone somewhere asked herself, "Did Atrazine make me a homosexual?"

Despite growing health concerns about atrazine, an agricultural weedkiller sprayed on farm fields across the Midwest, most drinking water is tested for the chemical only four times a year -- so rarely that worrisome spikes of the chemical likely go undetected.

How high can those worrisome spikes go?

In Flora, about 240 miles south of Chicago, atrazine levels spiked as high as 30 parts per billion. The findings concern researchers because some studies have shown adverse affects from exposure to concentrations as small as 0.1 parts per billion.

Here's the kicker.

Spread heaviest on cornfields, atrazine is one of the most commonly detected contaminants in drinking water. Studies have found that exposure to small amounts of the chemical can turn male frogs into females and might be more harmful to humans than once thought.

And this.

One study released last year by Indiana University researchers found that nine types of birth defects occurred more frequently in babies born to mothers whose last menstrual period occurred between April and July, when levels of atrazine in lakes and streams are highest. Neonatologist Paul Winchester said his work couldn't definitively pin the blame on atrazine -- that would require deliberately exposing pregnant women to the chemical -- but he said the correlation was statistically sound.

Obviously, I'm not claiming that Atrazine is the cause of homosexuality for all, but it does make me wonder if it could be the cause for some.

Share your thoughts.

"They took him, and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him."

(#2) Old
TOL Legend

Traditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peersTraditio is well respected by his peers
September 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Now you tell me! Right after I had all that Midwestern Farmside Tapwater imported in last...

last...

latht Tueeeethdaaay!

"If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins 'you shall receive a never fading crown of glory.' [2] Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in Hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practise black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if----and mark well what I say----if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon for your sins" (St. Louis Marie de Montfort, Secret of the Rosary, Red Rose).

(#3) Old

MaryContrary is well respected by his peers
MaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peers
September 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM

I don't think anyone is born with any particular sexual orientation at all. It develops as part of one's natural sexual development.

Physical and behavioral traits associated with one gender do pop up all the time in the other, though. Tomboys and sensitive boys are hardly uncommon and they do tend to display traits associated with the opposite gender often enough. But I think this merely impacts the development of sexual orientation, rather than being a sign that one was put into place anytime prior to birth. This then is why individuals displaying certain traits, both physical and behavioral, associated with the opposite gender are more likely to exhibit homosexual attractions later on. Not because sexual orientation was genetically predetermined but because their development was influenced in part by traits and behaviors that were.

So, is it possible that some chemical might influence the development of homosexuality? Sure, I don't see why not. But not by directly influencing the determination of one's sexual orientation prior to birth. Rather by influencing traits that might themselves impact that development.

(#4) Old
TOL Subscriber

lovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peers
lovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peerslovemeorhateme is well respected by his peers
September 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohiym View Post
I have to imagine that, after reading this article in the Chicago Tribune, someone somewhere asked herself, "Did Atrazine make me a homosexual?"

Despite growing health concerns about atrazine, an agricultural weedkiller sprayed on farm fields across the Midwest, most drinking water is tested for the chemical only four times a year -- so rarely that worrisome spikes of the chemical likely go undetected.

How high can those worrisome spikes go?

In Flora, about 240 miles south of Chicago, atrazine levels spiked as high as 30 parts per billion. The findings concern researchers because some studies have shown adverse affects from exposure to concentrations as small as 0.1 parts per billion.

Here's the kicker.

Spread heaviest on cornfields, atrazine is one of the most commonly detected contaminants in drinking water. Studies have found that exposure to small amounts of the chemical can turn male frogs into females and might be more harmful to humans than once thought.

And this.

One study released last year by Indiana University researchers found that nine types of birth defects occurred more frequently in babies born to mothers whose last menstrual period occurred between April and July, when levels of atrazine in lakes and streams are highest. Neonatologist Paul Winchester said his work couldn't definitively pin the blame on atrazine -- that would require deliberately exposing pregnant women to the chemical -- but he said the correlation was statistically sound.

Obviously, I'm not claiming that Atrazine is the cause of homosexuality for all, but it does make me wonder if it could be the cause for some.

Share your thoughts.
I'd say it doesn't cause homosexuality, I don't think any chemical could!

At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Winner of TOL Post of the Year 2012

(#5) Old
TOL Subscriber

elohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peerselohiym is well respected by his peers
September 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for your comments so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryContrary View Post
So, is it possible that some chemical might influence the development of homosexuality? Sure, I don't see why not. But not by directly influencing the determination of one's sexual orientation prior to birth. Rather by influencing traits that might themselves impact that development.
I'm not sure I understand your distinction.

Here is an interesting article that seems to indicate that research supports prenatal influence of sexual orientation by man-made molecules (chemicals).

Since the late 1990s we could gather a sufficient amount of data to realise that a major threat to the health of the unborn generations is intrauterine pollution by fat-soluble man-made molecules. The extensive list of such pollutants includes PCBs, dioxins and Bisphenol-A that accumulate over the years in our adipose tissues. Many of these synthetic chemicals are considered hormonal disruptors. More precisely they mimic oestrogens. This is how we currently explain the increasing rates of disorders of the male genital tract (undescended testicles, hypospadias, testicular cancers, decrease in average sperm counts, etc). It is plausible that this modern form of pollution can also influence the sexualisation of the brain. Relevant results of preliminary animal experiments have already been published.

Sounds like they should add Azatrine to that extensive list of endocrine disruptors, if it's not there already.

(#6) Old

MaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peers
September 7th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your distinction.
Homosexuality is much more common among females who display masculine traits and males who display feminine traits. Tomboys and sensitive boys. Not sure how more specific I can be without getting unnecessarily impolite. But it's not exclusive to them. Nor is it even a reliable determining factor. It's simply more common with them than otherwise.

Now, if sexual orientation is predetermined, this makes sense to us. It isn't surprising to see homosexuals tend to display opposite gender physical and behavioral traits in addition to a homosexual orientation. And the fact that all who display these opposite gender traits aren't always homosexual and that homosexuality isn't limited only to that group, this doesn't usually surprise us either since we assume whatever factors are involved in that predetermination also impacts these physical and behavior traits. Although, really, since we can't guess how exactly sexual orientation could be predetermined, perhaps that shouldn't strike us as reasonable since we don't know what factors are involved.

Likewise if homosexuality develops during one's normal sexual development, with all the same developmental stages one would then expect, this isn't surprising to see either. Those opposite gender traits aren't indicative of a predetermined homosexual orientation in this case, rather they're traits that can have a pronounced impact on one's sexual development and result in the greater prevalence of a homosexual orientation developing.

To put try to put it more simply, tomboys and sensitive boys have their needs met during all the developmental stages differently than girly girls and rough-n-tumble boys. This simply makes developing a homosexual orientation more likely for them.

To me, that's a more reasonable explanation for the correlation we see there.

So, on that assumption, the idea that some chemical might influence factors that are determined biologically prior to birth wouldn't then have anything directly to do with sexual orientation. Yet it could still have a twice-removed effect by impacting the development of physical traits which themselves might impact the later development of sexual orientation. Possibly even behavioral traits, if one assumes those are likewise predetermined, which I'm inclined to in this case.

Did that make any more sense?

Quote:
Here is an interesting article that seems to indicate that research supports prenatal influence of sexual orientation by man-made molecules (chemicals).

Since the late 1990s we could gather a sufficient amount of data to realise that a major threat to the health of the unborn generations is intrauterine pollution by fat-soluble man-made molecules. The extensive list of such pollutants includes PCBs, dioxins and Bisphenol-A that accumulate over the years in our adipose tissues. Many of these synthetic chemicals are considered hormonal disruptors. More precisely they mimic oestrogens. This is how we currently explain the increasing rates of disorders of the male genital tract (undescended testicles, hypospadias, testicular cancers, decrease in average sperm counts, etc). It is plausible that this modern form of pollution can also influence the sexualisation of the brain. Relevant results of preliminary animal experiments have already been published.

Sounds like they should add Azatrine to that extensive list of endocrine disruptors, if it's not there already.
Since we can't establish sexual orientation is set prior to birth and, in my opinion, everything points to it being developed later, this would only impact sexuality itself. And again, that's assuming as true what the article finds "plausible".

(#7) Old
Over 4000 post club

nicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peers
nicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peers
September 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM

I have lived in Flora (cited in your article) for 15 years, surrounded by corn fields, yet the only child I have with birth defects was born in June, and none of them have any sort of gender confusion - quite the opposite.

Our well is 117 feet deep though.

Futility: "More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and hopelessness; the other, to total extinction. Let us pray that we will have the wisdom to choose correctly. I speak, by the way, not with any sense of futility, but with a panicky conviction of the absolute meaninglessness of existence."
- Woody Allen

Hope:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Philippians 4:6-8

(#8) Old
Over 5000 post club

One Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peers
September 8th, 2010, 05:51 AM

I'm more concerned about the stuff that makes your teeth brown or causes babies to be born without arms.

(#9) Old
BANNED

aSeattleConserv is making a name for themselvesaSeattleConserv is making a name for themselvesaSeattleConserv is making a name for themselvesaSeattleConserv is making a name for themselvesaSeattleConserv is making a name for themselvesaSeattleConserv is making a name for themselvesaSeattleConserv is making a name for themselves
September 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM

You've lost any portion of sanity that you may have once had with asinine articles such as this.

To be on the safe side though elo, I'd advise you to stay away from corn products (you already have effeminate characteristics as it is).

(#10) Old
BANNED

Atheist PhD will become famous soon enoughAtheist PhD will become famous soon enough
September 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM

WHY do Christians seem to have this facination with Homosexuality? I mean, it's just NOT healthy.

I wonder if Christians spent as much time trying to find a "cure" for diseases that really harm humanity, such as cancers and AIDS, as they do trying to "fix" homosexuals, what we could accomplish. Millions upon millions of dollars wasted every year worrying about, trying to find a "cure" for, and just fighting against homosexuality; it's a tragedy and one I wonder how we can stop.

(#11) Old
Over 4000 post club

nicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peers
nicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peersnicholsmom is well respected by his peers
September 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist PhD View Post
Millions upon millions of dollars wasted every year worrying about, trying to find a "cure" for, and just fighting against homosexuality...
???

Futility: "More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and hopelessness; the other, to total extinction. Let us pray that we will have the wisdom to choose correctly. I speak, by the way, not with any sense of futility, but with a panicky conviction of the absolute meaninglessness of existence."
- Woody Allen

Hope:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Philippians 4:6-8

(#12) Old
TOL Subscriber

September 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
I'm more concerned about the stuff that makes your teeth brown or causes babies to be born without arms.
Nobody wants to give the death penalty to people with brown teeth, or babies born without arms.

(#13) Old
TOL Subscriber

September 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSeattleConserv View Post
You've lost any portion of sanity that you may have once had with asinine articles such as this.

To be on the safe side though elo, I'd advise you to stay away from corn products (you already have effeminate characteristics as it is).
I guess it is amazing what we can know so much about each other without every having met each other, just from posts on an internet forum. Still, I wonder about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSeattleConserv View Post
LOL; I've committed more sins than years you've been alive little girl.
Just how many of those sins were capital offenses under God's law? Were any of them capital offenses under God's law? And were you exposed to intrauterine pollution to the best of your knowledge? Could explain a lot.

(#14) Old

September 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
WHY do Christians seem to have this facination with Homosexuality? I mean, it's just NOT healthy.
Fascination [sic], not. Concern, certainly. Because it's a grievous sin and a deadly one at that, that society is moving to embrace and glorify. Essentially for the same reasons we fight against abortion.
Quote:
I wonder if Christians spent as much time trying to find a "cure" for diseases that really harm humanity, such as cancers and AIDS, as they do trying to "fix" homosexuals, what we could accomplish.
How much time and money do Christians spend fighting cancer and AIDS? Can you guess? Or, rather, would you? Probably not, as it would refute your assertion here so hard it's probably knock it through the planet and out into space, threatening unwary alien species out there with annihilation when it impacts their planet out of the nowhere and risking interstellar war. Or something.
Quote:
Millions upon millions of dollars
Lol, I wish.
Quote:
wasted every year worrying about, trying to find a "cure" for, and just fighting against homosexuality; it's a tragedy and one I wonder how we can stop.
Not your place to stop it. Thanks for your concern but until you're elected king of the universe, it's not your place to tell anyone else what they can spend their time and money on.

(#15) Old

September 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Nobody wants to give the death penalty to people with brown teeth, or babies born without arms.
Is that why you brought this point up for discussion? What's the relevance in regard to Atrazine?