TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Non-trinitarian churches
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
Over 1000 post club

horiturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticed
Non-trinitarian churches - November 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Are there any churches besides unitarian universalist,jehovahs witnesses and christian sciencists?

(#2) Old
Jewish Humanist

Dena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peersDena is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Some messianics are non-trinitarian but I don't know if they have any churches based on that idea.

(#3) Old
Gold level Subscriber

csuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peers
csuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 02:17 AM

There are some denominations which don't take a stance on the issue, like the Disciples of Christ. There's the Arian Catholic Church. Its never been a popular position, but one that many theologians have held (though they tended to keep quiet about it for fear of persecution).

Now, you haven't explicitly stated this, so forgive me if I'm getting ahead of myself - but if you are trying to make an argument AGAINST Non-Trinitarianism on the basis of a lack of denominations with such a view, then you are falling into Ad Populum.

[EDIT] Ah I did it again! I saw your picture and thought you were godrulz >.< You need to change that picture - its screwing with me!

If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

Last edited by csuguy; November 11th, 2010 at 02:46 AM..

(#4) Old
Over 1000 post club

horiturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticedhoriturk has been getting noticed
November 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM

no i'm not trying to argue against it,i don't believe jesus was God

(#5) Old
TOL Subscriber

godrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horiturk View Post
Who do you say He is?

JWs are the largest Arian group. Unitarians, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, etc. also deny His Deity. Mormons, the old WWCOG (Armstrong), etc. do not believe in the biblical Deity of Christ, but call Jesus a god, etc.

Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

(#6) Old
Over 2000 post club

Gill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticed
November 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrulz View Post
Who do you say He is?

JWs are the largest Arian group. Unitarians, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, etc. also deny His Deity. Mormons, the old WWCOG (Armstrong), etc. do not believe in the biblical Deity of Christ, but call Jesus a god, etc.
No, Jesus is not ''a god'', Jesus is the Son of God.

Act 10:38
(38) How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

(#7) Old
Over 2000 post club

Gill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticedGill White has been getting noticed
November 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Jesus is the Son of God, horiturk.

1Jo 4:15
(15) Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

That's pretty straight-forward to me!

Act 10:38
(38) How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Mat 12:18-21
(18) "Behold My Child whom I chose, My Beloved, in whom My soul has delighted! I will put My Spirit on Him, and He will declare judgment to the nations.
(19) He will not strive nor cry out, nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets.
(20) A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench, until He bring forth judgment to victory." Isa. 42:1-3
(21) "And the nations will hope in His name." Isa. 42:1-4

(#8) Old
Over 2000 post club

November 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Are there any churches besides unitarian universalist,jehovahs witnesses and christian sciencists?
If I can make a suggestion, go to God, and let Him teach you. Spend some time with Him, pray and speak to Him, and He will reveal Himself to you.

Luk 11:9-13
(9) "So I tell you to ask, and you will receive. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened for you.
(10) Everyone who asks will receive. The one who searches will find, and for the person who knocks, the door will be opened.
(11) "If your child asks you, his father, for a fish, would you give him a snake instead?
(12) Or if your child asks you for an egg, would you give him a scorpion?
(13) Even though you're evil, you know how to give good gifts to your children. So how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"

(#9) Old
TOL Legend

Krsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Leave it to GR to NOT answer the question.

Other than Unitarians which I have no idea how many there are the largest non-trinitarian denomination is the United Pentecostal Church which probably has one or more in every city in the US. It branched off from the Assemblies of God in the early 1900's. Other than that there is the Church of God (Morrow, GA), Assemblies of the Lord Jesus Christ, and Advent Christian Church which I guess you could say are regional churches. I think they all stem from the Restoration Movement of the mid 1800's which also was the genesis for the JW's and as far as I know they are the only Arians of them all. I think all the rest believe Jesus had no existance prior to conception in Mary other than as a thought in the mind of God.

Besides that there are numerous independent churches, some of which have grown into megachurches which branch out in their areas and of course there are numerous Christians in all denominations that have studied the issues to one degree or another and don't consider themselves to be trinitarian even though their churches are (such as myself). If the UPC weren't such a stuffy, legalistic, old-school church thinking they have the Spirit of God when they don't I might tend to be a part of them. There is nothing worse than a dead Pentecostal church (I'd say the same for a lot of Assemblies of God churches I've been in.)

(#10) Old
TOL Legend

Krsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peersKrsto is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuguy View Post
There are some denominations which don't take a stance on the issue, like the Disciples of Christ. There's the Arian Catholic Church. Its never been a popular position, but one that many theologians have held (though they tended to keep quiet about it for fear of persecution).

Now, you haven't explicitly stated this, so forgive me if I'm getting ahead of myself - but if you are trying to make an argument AGAINST Non-Trinitarianism on the basis of a lack of denominations with such a view, then you are falling into Ad Populum.

[EDIT] Ah I did it again! I saw your picture and thought you were godrulz >.< You need to change that picture - its screwing with me!
Arian Catholic Church - who woulda guessed? Any relation to the Byzanteen Catholic Church which is Eastern Orthodox in liturgy and style?

(#11) Old
Over 4000 post club

Paulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 11:35 AM

The United Pentecostals aren't trinitarian but they do believe that Jesus is fully God incarnate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneness_Pentecostalism

(#12) Old
Over 1000 post club

November 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM

thanks to everyone who answered the question,to everyone trying to convince me of the deity of christ....sorry,i've studied scripture and simply do not accept the ludicrous doctrine of the trinity.

(#13) Old
Over 4000 post club

Paulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peersPaulos is well respected by his peers
November 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
thanks to everyone who answered the question,to everyone trying to convince me of the deity of christ....sorry,i've studied scripture and simply do not accept the ludicrous doctrine of the trinity.
No need to apologize, what you choose to believe or not to believe is no skin off anyone else's nose.

(#14) Old
TOL Legend

November 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
No need to apologize, what you choose to believe or not to believe is no skin off anyone else's nose.
Not according to some around here . . .

(#15) Old
TOL Legend

November 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
The United Pentecostals aren't trinitarian but they do believe that Jesus is fully God incarnate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneness_Pentecostalism
I don't know that that article is very accurate.