TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Politics
Reload this Page Solar Cooling Imperils Global Warming
Politics Current Events, Abortion, homosexuality, gun control, public schools, welfare, taxes, government etc.

(#1) Old
Over 3000 post club

Bubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselves
Solar Cooling Imperils Global Warming - June 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
“The solar cycle may be going into a hiatus,” Frank Hill, associate director of the National Solar Observatory’s Solar Synoptic Network, said in a news briefing….
Quote:
In the meantime, it’s worth considering the implications for climate and energy policy of a possible protracted downturn in the flow of energy to the Earth.
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ate-action/?hp

(#2) Old

some other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Burn more gasoline!

(#3) Old
Come at me Bro.

TomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peers
TomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 01:02 PM

No way....we are far more powerful than some puny star.

Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
~Leonard Cohen

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.
~Ted Nugent

Last edited by TomO; June 15th, 2011 at 01:48 PM..

(#4) Old
TOL Legend

beloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scalebeloved57 is off the scale
June 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Jesus said that there would be signs in the Sun harbingering His Coming Lk 21:25And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

26Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

27And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else.

Charles Spurgeon.

(#5) Old
Conjunction junction, what's your function?

The Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peers
The Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peersThe Berean is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Now way....we are far more powerful than some puny star.
The Sun

Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
. -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

(#6) Old
Gold level Subscriber

kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
kmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peerskmoney is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
No way....we are far more powerful than some puny star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
The Sun

Slow dancing in a burning room.

Don't tase me, bro!!

(#7) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Old news. We just went through a sunspot minimum, which did have a cooling effect on the Earth. IIRC, we had essentially no sunspots in 2008. But it wasn't enough to reverse the trend of warming.

Seems to have been more active lately:
http://spaceweathermonitor.wordpress...e-to-sunspots/

“SOLAR RADIO STORM: Did you know sunspots can make noise? Consider the following: “Over the past few days, I have been recording a sustained solar radio storm at 180 MHz,” reports amateur radio astronomer Thomas Ashcraft of New Mexico. “It consists of Type I radio bursts and sounds like ocean surf. Here is an audio sample from March 27th at 1930 UT. The sun seems to be entering a new phase of dynamism.”

Radio emissions like these are caused by plasma instabilities in the sun’s atmosphere above sunspots. With the sun becoming ‘radio-active,’ it’s no coincidence that sunspots are emerging in abundance. Leading the way is behemoth active region AR1176, shown here in a photo taken yesterday by Larry Alvarez of Flower Mound, Texas:

http://earthwatchnews.com/sun-spots-increasing/

If we have a prolonged shutdown that might be good news. Something like the Maunder Minimum might blunt much of the present warming trend.

God bless us, every one.

(#8) Old
TOL Subscriber

Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM

The biggest mistake folks could have made was popularizing the phrase "global warming" when "climate change" is, you know, more accurate.

It doesn't sound like this'll off-set any damage we may have caused, though. Interesting stuff.

Theocrats are Social Darwinists.

He isn't there, which is why he's silent.

(#9) Old
Over 3000 post club

Bubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselvesBubba Switzler is making a name for themselves
June 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite View Post
The biggest mistake folks could have made was popularizing the phrase "global warming" when "climate change" is, you know, more accurate.

It doesn't sound like this'll off-set any damage we may have caused, though. Interesting stuff.
Certainly "climate change" has the advantage of being less precise and therefore more amenable to a wider range of observed meteorological phenomenon. The climate is always changing.

On the other hand, if the purpose is to make scientific predictions that can be tested...

(#10) Old
Over 1000 post club

Refractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respectedRefractive is well respected
June 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM

No, see, here's what's gonna happen: the equatorial parts continue to heat up while the poles cool down rapidly. All the moisture that evaporates into the air from the tropics, migrates to the poles and form unending blizzards that jump start a new ice age. The P.O.ed polar bears who almost went extinct charge down on ice flows to turn those of us left after the food chain collapses from lack of honeybees and what crops are left being decimated by the insects the now-extinct bats didn't eat, into ursine Happy Meals.

I wish Jesus would hurry up and get here.

"Lord, take from me everything that hinders me from going to You. give me all that will lead me to You. Take me from myself and give me to Yourself."

St Nicholas Flue

(#11) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
June 15th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, if the purpose is to make scientific predictions that can be tested...
...we can always point to James Hansen predicting the warming trend ten years in advance. Not bad.

The reason he nailed it so closely, is that his halfway scenario included one major volcanic eruption, which is exactly what we got. In fact, he had no way of effectively predicting that, so he just averaged it out, and supposed there might be one. Hence the remarkably good fit between his prediction and the result.

God bless us, every one.

(#12) Old
Over 3000 post club

June 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
...we can always point to James Hansen...
http://debunkhouse.wordpress.com/200...lobal-warming/

http://bittooth.blogspot.com/2009/11...e-subject.html

And etc.

(#13) Old
TOL Legend

June 15th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Bubba, you've been had by a bait-and-switch. The "lower tropospheric" temps are not the same as the surface level temps (thats the data shown and accurately predicted by Hansen)

So why are the deniers using lower tropospheric data instead of the real thing?

Because there was a change in the way the data was collected, and this artificially shifted the data. The resulting skew was just too tempting to resist, and they figured most of their followers wouldn't be smart enough to know the difference. Basically, the data was collected by weather balloons using sensors which were initially not shielded from sunlight. Later, they were shielded to remove that source of error (they need to measure atmospheric temperature), and the raw data therefore showed a decline in temps.

Here's a graphic of the data from satellites which are not subject to that error.

BTW, the warming model Hansen used to predict the trend a decade in advance shows that lower atmospheric warming should result in cooling in the stratosphere.

And that's what we see.
(edit: Trophosphere is the layer below the stratosphere)

God bless us, every one.

(#14) Old
Over 3000 post club

June 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
The "lower tropospheric" temps are not the same as the surface level temps...
And temperature predictions are not the same as predictions about a relationship between carbon and temperature.

On and on it goes.

(#15) Old
TOL Legend

June 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
And temperature predictions are not the same as predictions about a relationship between carbon and temperature.
Carbon emissions were the basis for Hansen's prediction. In fact, the three scenarios are based on differing levels of carbon emissions.

Notice the temps follow CO2 levels.

Quote:
On and on it goes.
Yep.

God bless us, every one.