TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > TOL Topic of the Day - Chime In!
Reload this Page toldailytopic: Toddlers & Tiaras: what do you think about child beauty pageants?
TOL Topic of the Day - Chime In! Every day we will post a new topic and we want to get your comments on that topic. The topic could be about literally anything from the vague to the specific, important or trivial. The TOL membership can take that topic and run with it!

(#61) Old
TOL Subscriber

Arthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peers
Arthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Jack View Post
Yes.

You'd need to be able to grow one first SoJ....

Well this is fun isn't it?

(#62) Old
BANNED

Sum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselves
December 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohiym View Post
Child Ultimate Fighting?

Nothing wrong with that. It's actually a good discipline for a child.

(#63) Old
Over 2500 post club

MrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
You're just jealous because there isn't a show about pageants for the world's prettiest radish.
On the contrary, dear K-Mo...!

Festival of Radishes...

(#64) Old
Over 6000 post club

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM

I hate it.

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#65) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM

Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

(#66) Old
BANNED

sky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM

If I had a daughter I wouldn't do it. If I had a daughter and she wanted to wear a Tiara to the mall or to the store or whatever I would let her. I would even let her wear a tutu. If you can't wear that stuff when you're a kid when can you wear it?

(#67) Old
:doh:

Lon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peers
Lon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peersLon is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM

One question, only question I have....

Who is putting up the $ for these contest winnings?

Just give me names so I can boycott....

Oh, and parents too, so I can send stupidity of the year awards.

...or better yet, let's pool the funds and give it to a kid who is developing a heart.

Omniscient without man's say or qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
No possible limitation other than in man's wishful finite inanity Isaiah
40:25 Joshua 24:15
Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. *************************************

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

(#68) Old
TOL Subscriber

chatmaggot is well respected by his peers
chatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peerschatmaggot is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
Well where do you draw the line though? Is it vanity for a man to shave or trim his beard as well? To get his hair styled etc? I can't say I see anything wrong with a woman wearing make up per se....
What about a man wearing make-up?

fidelis usque ad mortem

(#69) Old
TOL Subscriber

Arthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peers
Arthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peersArthur Brain is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatmaggot View Post
What about a man wearing make-up?
What about it? Hardly what most do anyway so rather moot in regards to the point. Both men and women avail themselves of products/styling techniques in order to look good so if it's wrong for women to adorn lipstick/mascara et al then it's just as vain for a man to cut his hair and shave to any extent etc.

(#70) Old
BANNED

Sum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselves
December 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
What about it? Hardly what most do anyway so rather moot in regards to the point. Both men and women avail themselves of products/styling techniques in order to look good so if it's wrong for women to adorn lipstick/mascara et al then it's just as vain for a man to cut his hair and shave to any extent etc.
Some Abrahamic fashion:

They're wearing makeup, but they cover their hair. These are the old customs of being 'modest, yet pleasing'. Overdoing it is vanity.

(#71) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1sGruj View Post
Some Abrahamic fashion:

They're wearing makeup, but they cover their hair. These are the old customs of being 'modest, yet pleasing'. Overdoing it is vanity.
Do you think it's 'immodest' for a woman to show her hair? I seem to recall that the bible says a womans hair is her crowning glory or something similar.

If a woman chooses to dress in the manner of the above then fine as long as it's her choice. She shouldn't be called vain for either wearing make up or not covering her hair though, not by any means.

(#72) Old
BANNED

December 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Do you think it's 'immodest' for a woman to show her hair? I seem to recall that the bible says a womans hair is her crowning glory or something similar.

If a woman chooses to dress in the manner of the above then fine as long as it's her choice. She shouldn't be called vain for either wearing make up or not covering her hair though, not by any means.
Those are simply the old customs. Nuns wear what they wear today because it is a discipline along with them being celibate.
Orthodox Jews, of course, try to stick to traditional fashion and Muslims stick to Mosaic Law a bit more militantly along those lines.

Jesus liberated us from Mosaic Law, but that does not mean that vanity is any less a sin. Showing one's hair and the normal modern customs are perfectly fine. However, it should be self-evident what things should be frowned upon. Modesty is a very important part of being Godly.

(#73) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1sGruj View Post
Those are simply the old customs. Nuns wear what they wear today because it is a discipline along with them being celibate.
Orthodox Jews, of course, try to stick to traditional fashion and Muslims stick to Mosaic Law a bit more militantly along those lines.

Jesus liberated us from Mosaic Law, but that does not mean that vanity is any less a sin. Showing one's hair and the normal modern customs are perfectly fine. However, it should be self-evident what things should be frowned upon. Modesty is a very important part of being Godly.
So if a woman gets her hair styled is that vanity in your opinion? Wears a dress above the knee? Wears lipstick? Do you frown upon all or any of those?

(#74) Old
Over 6000 post club

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
December 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureX View Post
I think I'm probably too old for 'em. Though I am pretty cute.

Friend requested!!!!

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#75) Old
BANNED

December 22nd, 2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
So if a woman gets her hair styled is that vanity in your opinion? Wears a dress above the knee? Wears lipstick? Do you frown upon all or any of those?
It wasn't too long ago that the way some women dress now would have been unacceptable. Tube tops and miniskirts are unnecessary., someone is not going to find another less attractive because they wear a shirt that covers their shoulders, or a skirt that extends more then mere inches away from the hip.

I find these things to be attractive, no doubt, but I know the problems those things cause as well. It is a biblical as well as plain rational truth.

There is nothing wrong with clothes or makeup so long as it is modest. Key word.