TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Atheism is a mummer's parade
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

Closed Thread

(#1) Old
Ain't no thing like me, except me!

Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Atheism is a mummer's parade - December 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Recently I was watching a rerun of Penn & Teller's old show. The name of the show is a cuss word so I cannot offer the title here. I watched it because I tend to agree with them on a lot of things. I think they're libertarians. I do disagree with them a lot too, but I like their approach to tearing down a lot of liberal ideals.

However the episode I watched was on the subject of sex, or an aspect of it rather.

The reason that is relevant is because there was a quote in the episode wherein Penn stated that while they liked Dawkins and Hitchens they only needed the fact that the disparity between the amount of time it took each gender to reach climax to show that there is no God.

That is one of the lamest arguments I have ever heard. Not only was it not valid, it was invalid [legs don't work].

I also wondered if the atheists are right why do they need so many books? If their arguments were valid they would have only needed one.

What we have here are fools following in the footsteps of the fools that came before waving around their wooden swords, dressed in patchwork motley and jingling bells, marching in their mummer's parade.

(#2) Old
Over 2000 post club

Skavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respected
December 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse
I also wondered if the atheists are right why do they need so many books? If their arguments were valid they would have only needed one.
*facepalm*

I can't think of a more anti-intellectual comment than that. Atheists are wrong because they have lots of arguments is basically what that comes down to. It even ignores the mass amount of literature by Christian apologists defending theism or Christianity.

"Cast a light on the walls and lives of a Generation Online
We excel at passing time, and we share our hearts and our minds
Wake us up if they play our song and we might just sing along
But until then we won’t wait, we have found our own place to belong"

(#3) Old

Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
December 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM

The defenses of theism are all the same arguments.

(#4) Old
Over 4000 post club

Guyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peersGuyver is well respected by his peers
December 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM

What's a mummer?

Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

(#5) Old
Over 2000 post club

Skavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respectedSkavau is well respected
December 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
The defenses of theism are all the same arguments.
The defenses of atheism are all the same arguments.

See how easy it is to say? Books on atheism are rarely solely about atheism. They are about secularism, empiricism, evolution, religion, etc. They make arguments against religion and in favour of evolution and other things.

"Cast a light on the walls and lives of a Generation Online
We excel at passing time, and we share our hearts and our minds
Wake us up if they play our song and we might just sing along
But until then we won’t wait, we have found our own place to belong"

(#6) Old
Journeyman

Herod The Swiss will become famous soon enoughHerod The Swiss will become famous soon enoughHerod The Swiss will become famous soon enough
December 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
What's a mummer?
Internet. Use it.

(#7) Old
Journeyman

Herod The Swiss will become famous soon enoughHerod The Swiss will become famous soon enoughHerod The Swiss will become famous soon enough
December 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
*facepalm*

I can't think of a more anti-intellectual comment than that. Atheists are wrong because they have lots of arguments is basically what that comes down to. It even ignores the mass amount of literature by Christian apologists defending theism or Christianity.
The other thing to consider is that it takes a tidal wave of literature, polemic and enlightenment to overthrow entrenched beliefs. The religious mind is almost impenetrable to common-sense.

(#8) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

aCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peers
December 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Recently I was watching a rerun of Penn & Teller's old show. The name of the show is a cuss word so I cannot offer the title here. I watched it because I tend to agree with them on a lot of things. I think they're libertarians. I do disagree with them a lot too, but I like their approach to tearing down a lot of liberal ideals.
You don't have to think about it any longer:
http://www.libertarianism.org/media/...am-libertarian

(Isn't his nail polish pretty?)

"You tell the truth AS YOU SEE IT".

So tell me Lh, what part of this atheist's worldview do you agree with?

"Make no mistake: Children are the target of what I call the “sexual anarchy movement.” Whether it’s the movement’s pedophile wing that seeks to literally rape children, or its radical pro-abortion, homosexualist and feminist wings, which seek to rape the minds of children, the larger sexual anarchy movement has a shared goal: Attack, corrupt and destroy God’s design for human sexuality. Children are just collateral damage."

Matt Barber from his article "Sexual Anarchy"

(#9) Old
Over 2500 post club

MrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peers
December 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
What's a mummer?
They're traditional travelling beggar-actors who perform short stock plays in public places, often around Christmas time, about an evil knight being defeated by St George or Robin Hood and his victim being revived with an elixir.

Funnily enough a troupe of them came into a pub I was drinking at just a couple of weeks ago. They were in blackface, which was surprising to say the least, and had broad West Country accents and, shall we say, rather limited acting ability, so it felt a bit like watching Bottom and the mechanicals in A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was all in good fun, though, and they were raising money for charity.

(#10) Old
Over 1000 post club

Tyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peersTyrathca is well respected by his peers
December 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
That is one of the lamest arguments I have ever heard. Not only was it not valid, it was invalid [legs don't work].
You do realise that the comment was likely not intended to be an effective argument but instead a funny one. They are after all professional comedians...
Quote:
Last I checked the Christian apologetics section of most book stores was larger than the entire atheist section...

(#11) Old

December 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What's a mummer?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mummer

aka fools, aka jesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
The defenses of atheism are all the same arguments.
No they're not.

Quote:
See how easy it is to say? Books on atheism are rarely solely about atheism. They are about secularism, empiricism, evolution, religion, etc. They make arguments against religion and in favour of evolution and other things.
And they are all the same:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post

I don't agree with his atheism, moron. I agree with him on some of his political stances. For instance, I agree with them on recycling and the leftist hippies who support it; the hippies are fools.

What of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrathca View Post
You do realise that the comment was likely not intended to be an effective argument but instead a funny one. They are after all professional comedians...
And they are also stout and devout atheists, so they were just as serious about their stance that there is no God as they were trying to be funny.

Quote:
Last I checked the Christian apologetics section of most book stores was larger than the entire atheist section...
I already answered that.

(#12) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

aCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peers
December 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Quote:
I don't agree with his atheism, moron. I agree with him on some of his political stances. For instance, I agree with them on recycling and the leftist hippies who support it; the hippies are fools.

What of it?
I like recycling , but I didn't have to consult with a hippy or an atheist to realize why.

Now when your favorite atheist says that "hippies are fools", are you talking about the ones that have hair down to their shoulders and wear red nail polish on one finger, or are you talking about hippies that don't have as much money as your atheist idol does?

"Make no mistake: Children are the target of what I call the “sexual anarchy movement.” Whether it’s the movement’s pedophile wing that seeks to literally rape children, or its radical pro-abortion, homosexualist and feminist wings, which seek to rape the minds of children, the larger sexual anarchy movement has a shared goal: Attack, corrupt and destroy God’s design for human sexuality. Children are just collateral damage."

Matt Barber from his article "Sexual Anarchy"

(#13) Old

January 1st, 2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
I like recycling , but I didn't have to consult with a hippy or an atheist to realize why.
I don't like recycling. It produces more exhaust [air pollution] than the initial production of the original productions, for one.

Quote:
Now when your favorite atheist says that "hippies are fools", are you talking about the ones that have hair down to their shoulders and wear red nail polish on one finger, or are you talking about hippies that don't have as much money as your atheist idol does?
You're an excessively stupid idiot. Can you honestly say you don't agree with Penn on anything from a political standpoint? Of course not, you tool.

(#14) Old
Journeyman

computerex will become famous soon enough
January 1st, 2012, 04:40 AM

Remember that Penn and Teller are comedians by profession first and foremost. Their objective is to make you laugh so that they can make money. With that said, they do sometimes present valid arguments.

I don't think disparity between climax is supposed to be a valid argument.. It may have been posed for purely comedic purposes. However I have not seen that particular episode so I cannot say for sure. If they indeed meant it as a serious argument against theism then I would have to agree with you, it is a stupid one.

As far as atheists needing lots of books... I think this argument is pretty bad too. Before I even say anything I would like to point out the Bible is a collection of independently authored books, not 1 book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse
I don't like recycling. It produces more exhaust [air pollution] than the initial production of the original productions, for one.
Recycling plants now a days are pretty clean... Even so, a small amount of air pollution is a negligible when the alternative is that the planet runs out of land mines. It takes a long time for our waste to degrade. We are going to run out of space fairly quickly.. And don't forget, land mines themselves have problems (localized geenhouse effect, leakages into local water supply).

(#15) Old
Over 2500 post club

MrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peersMrRadish is well respected by his peers
January 1st, 2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerex View Post
Recycling plants now a days are pretty clean... Even so, a small amount of air pollution is a negligible when the alternative is that the planet runs out of land mines. It takes a long time for our waste to degrade. We are going to run out of space fairly quickly.. And don't forget, land mines themselves have problems (localized geenhouse effect, leakages into local water supply).
To say nothing of the explosions...

Closed Thread