TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Christian or Non-Christian / Pick A Side
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#76) Old
Over 750 post club

I aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respected
February 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Born again, spirit filled, scaleless eyed, truth knower, disciple of Christ here, checking in. Faith leads to knowledge.

(#77) Old
Over 4000 post club

bigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputation
February 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I aint no monkey View Post
Born again, spirit filled, scaleless eyed, truth knower, disciple of Christ here, checking in. Faith leads to knowledge.
I'm sorry, I thought it was - So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. Romans 10:17

And what we have in the bible is the word of Christ - 2nd hand, at the very least.

(#78) Old

MaryContrary is well respected by his peers
MaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peers
February 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang123 View Post
You are not the first person I heard suggest demonic activity and that is consistent with christian teaching about the devil being a deceiver.
Well, I was half joking. If that were proven true it wouldn't surprise me a bit. I might even be a little surprised if it isn't. But, naturally, I have no idea really.

(#79) Old
Old Timer

jwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticed
February 5th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Christian. Unique worldview with a large body of historical/legal (not empiric) evidence.

Since the advent (!) of the great religions, violence is on the decline and we see our universe and ourselves more clearly, knowing even our own ignorance.

Worst case scenario, I behave less badly.

Best case, I have a friend who sticks closer than a brother on judgment day.

(#80) Old
BANNED

Sum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselves
February 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You are not the first person I heard suggest demonic activity and that is consistent with christian teaching about the devil being a deceiver.
No doubt you mean Leviathan. That twisted Serpent Isaiah 27:1. Of course he deceives. It is in his very name.

(#81) Old
Old Timer

Cleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselves
February 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp98 View Post
Christian. Unique worldview with a large body of historical/legal (not empiric) evidence.
since when does having 35,000 DIFFERENT interpretations qualify as unique.
Quote:
Since the advent (!) of the great religions, violence is on the decline and we see our universe and ourselves more clearly, knowing even our own ignorance.
next time a Christian tells me that he's absolutely right and i'm absolutely wrong i'll try and remember that he's only trying to acknowledge his ignorance.

Religion can never reform mankind, because religion is slavery.

(#82) Old
Old Timer

Cleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselvesCleekster is making a name for themselves
February 5th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I aint no monkey View Post
Faith leads to knowledge.

(#83) Old
Old Timer

February 5th, 2012, 05:18 PM

Non-Christian

I utilize my own version of what some call the outsider Test of Faith, which is to say that i reserve the same Skepticism for my own beliefs that i do others beliefs.... I am a Deist.

(#84) Old
Come at me Bro.

TomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peers
TomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peersTomO is well respected by his peers
February 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
So, I picked a side when I was a teenager and then I picked another side when I was near middle-age.

At what age did others in this forum pick their side?
I came to Faith three months into my thirtieth year.

Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
~Leonard Cohen

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.
~Ted Nugent

(#85) Old
Over 1000 post club

DaveDodo007 is making a name for themselvesDaveDodo007 is making a name for themselvesDaveDodo007 is making a name for themselvesDaveDodo007 is making a name for themselvesDaveDodo007 is making a name for themselvesDaveDodo007 is making a name for themselvesDaveDodo007 is making a name for themselves
February 5th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Non-Christian.

(#86) Old
BANNED

Sum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselvesSum1sGruj is making a name for themselves
February 5th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleekster View Post
Quote:
Faith leads to knowledge.
The fact that you find that surprising tells a lot about the non-Christian bias. Do you not know the gambits of faith., that there is plentiful reason and instruction behind it?

(#87) Old
Old Timer

jwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticedjwp98 has been getting noticed
February 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleekster View Post
since when does having 35,000 DIFFERENT interpretations qualify as unique.

next time a Christian tells me that he's absolutely right and i'm absolutely wrong i'll try and remember that he's only trying to acknowledge his ignorance.
I'm not absolutely sure of much. Only acting as I see fit. With what would you replace Christianity, smart ***?

(#88) Old
Old Timer

February 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1sGruj View Post
The fact that you find that surprising tells a lot about the non-Christian bias. Do you not know the gambits of faith., that there is plentiful reason and instruction behind it?
or perhaps the fact that you agree says more about you bias for Christianity...but go ahead, i'm willing to listen to what you have to say.

(#89) Old
You what?

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
February 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDodo007 View Post
Non-Christian.
That or you'd be the worst atheist ever...

(#90) Old
Over 4000 post club

bigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputationbigbang123 has a large reputation
February 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
On one side of the issue is

THE BETTER ANGELS OF OUR NATURE
Why Violence Has Declined

By Steven Pinker

Illustrated. 802 pp. Viking. $40.

part of book review

Pinker discusses .. the “rights revolution,” the revulsion against violence inflicted on ethnic minorities, women, children, homosexuals and animals that has developed over the past half-century. Pinker is not, of course, arguing that these movements have achieved their goals, but he reminds us how far we have come in a relatively short time from the days when lynchings were commonplace in the South; domestic violence was tolerated to such a degree that a 1950s ad could show a husband with his wife over his knees, spanking her for failing to buy the right brand of coffee; and Pinker, then a young research assistant working under the direction of a professor in an animal behavior lab, tortured a rat to death. (Pinker now considers this “the worst thing I have ever done.” In 1975 it wasn’t uncommon.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/bo...gewanted=print

On the other side of the issue is

When Religion Ruled The World They Called it The Dark Ages