TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Bob Enyart Live > Bob Enyart Live
Reload this Page DBC's Nick Morgan on Bible Languages
Bob Enyart Live Greetings to the brightest audience in the country. I am Bob Enyart...... discuss Bob's shows here! Bob's show is aired live on the radio and rebroadcast at: KGOV.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#16) Old
One Eyed Jack One Eyed Jack is offline
Over 6000 post club
 One Eyed Jack's Avatar

 


Reputation:
One Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peers
March 15th, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
What about you? Do you believe that whole "original sin" thing? That's pretty fundamental Christian theology it seems to me.
Why do so many non-Christians seem to think "original sin" and "collective guilt" go hand-in-hand? That isn't what the church teaches, so where do y'all get this idea?



   
Reply With Quote
  (#17) Old
Frayed Knot Frayed Knot is offline
Veteran
 Frayed Knot's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Frayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enough
March 16th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
Why do so many non-Christians seem to think "original sin" and "collective guilt" go hand-in-hand? That isn't what the church teaches, so where do y'all get this idea?
So how would you describe it?



   
Reply With Quote
  (#18) Old
Stripe Stripe is online now
LIFETIME MEMBER
 Stripe's Avatar

 




Reputation:
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
March 16th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
So how would you describe it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
2. We are tainted in that our society and planet have been exposed to rebellion, decay and death. We are all responsible for our own actions.

Big difference.





Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#19) Old
Frayed Knot Frayed Knot is offline
Veteran
 Frayed Knot's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Frayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enough
March 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
2. We are tainted in that our society and planet have been exposed to rebellion, decay and death. We are all responsible for our own actions.
That seems like a severely understated way of describing the concept.

My understanding of Christian theology is that we are all deserving of eternal damnation, but Jesus took the punishment for those who accept him.

"Deserving of eternal damnation" is way beyond simply living in a place that's been "exposed to rebellion, decay and death."

Do I misunderstand? If so, how?



   
Reply With Quote
  (#20) Old
Stripe Stripe is online now
LIFETIME MEMBER
 Stripe's Avatar

 




Reputation:
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
March 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
That seems like a severely understated way of describing the concept.
Or it's the plain truth.

Quote:
My understanding of Christian theology is that we are all deserving of eternal damnation, but Jesus took the punishment for those who accept him.
That's right.

Quote:
"Deserving of eternal damnation" is way beyond simply living in a place that's been "exposed to rebellion, decay and death."
That's right as well.

Quote:
Do I misunderstand? If so, how?
You missed the part about people being responsible for their own actions, decisions and words. There's a big difference between what you choose to do and what you were born into.





Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#21) Old
Granite Granite is offline
TOL Subscriber
 Granite's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
Granite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peersGranite is well respected by his peers
March 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
Why do so many non-Christians seem to think "original sin" and "collective guilt" go hand-in-hand? That isn't what the church teaches, so where do y'all get this idea?
One way to look at it: We are collectively guilty because of original sin.





Theocrats are Social Darwinists.




He isn't there, which is why he's silent.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#22) Old
Stripe Stripe is online now
LIFETIME MEMBER
 Stripe's Avatar

 




Reputation:
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
March 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Here's an example for you. Earthquakes started because the Earth was knocked off its rocker - thus we are cursed with turmoil and upheaval. "Tainted" is the word you used, but it may not be the most apt description. But we are not sinners and deserving of damnation because there are earthquakes. People go to hell because they reject Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour.





Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#23) Old
Frayed Knot Frayed Knot is offline
Veteran
 Frayed Knot's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Frayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enough
March 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
You missed the part about people being responsible for their own actions, decisions and words. There's a big difference between what you choose to do and what you were born into.
But Christian theology is that a person is deserving of eternal damnation even if he's never done anything wrong, how is that being responsible for his own actions? He's given the responsibility for what Adam and Eve did wrong.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#24) Old
Stripe Stripe is online now
LIFETIME MEMBER
 Stripe's Avatar

 




Reputation:
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
March 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
But Christian theology is that a person is deserving of eternal damnation even if he's never done anything wrong, how is that being responsible for his own actions? He's given the responsibility for what Adam and Eve did wrong.
And now you're wrong. A perfect man is just in the eyes of God. How else do you think Jesus was able to sacrifice Himself and not do so in vain?

Bible says all have sinned and everyone needs a saviour. It does not say, at any stage, that you are damned because of someone else's rebellion.





Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#25) Old
MaryContrary MaryContrary is offline
Registered User

 



Reputation:
MaryContrary is well respected by his peers
MaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peersMaryContrary is well respected by his peers
March 16th, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
But Christian theology is that a person is deserving of eternal damnation even if he's never done anything wrong, how is that being responsible for his own actions? He's given the responsibility for what Adam and Eve did wrong.
I don't know of any Christian theologian that says this. Or any Christians that say it. Or...you know...any people that say it, that aren't loony.

I don't know who told you that this is any kind of fundamental Christian truth, but you should go kick them in the butt for me. Seriously. I'll totally take the rap for it. Promise.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#26) Old
Frayed Knot Frayed Knot is offline
Veteran
 Frayed Knot's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Frayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enough
March 18th, 2012, 09:16 PM

I guess now would be the time when most people would respond with your own view, and how it contrasts with what I said, and not just say that I'm wrong.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#27) Old
Stripe Stripe is online now
LIFETIME MEMBER
 Stripe's Avatar

 




Reputation:
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
March 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
I guess now would be the time when most people would respond with your own view, and how it contrasts with what I said, and not just say that I'm wrong.


Christian theology is not that a person is deserving of eternal damnation even if he's never done anything wrong. Christian theology is that people are responsible for their own actions.

Deuteronomy 24:16
“Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their fathers; a person shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18
A False Proverb Refuted

1 The word of the Lord came to me again, saying, 2 “What do you mean when you use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying:

‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes,
And the children’s teeth are set on edge’?
3 “As I live,” says the Lord God, “you shall no longer use this proverb in Israel.

4 “Behold, all souls are Mine;
The soul of the father
As well as the soul of the son is Mine;
The soul who sins shall die.
5 But if a man is just
And does what is lawful and right;
6 If he has not eaten on the mountains,
Nor lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel,
Nor defiled his neighbor’s wife,
Nor approached a woman during her impurity;
7 If he has not oppressed anyone,
But has restored to the debtor his pledge;
Has robbed no one by violence,
But has given his bread to the hungry
And covered the naked with clothing;
8 If he has not exacted usury
Nor taken any increase,
But has withdrawn his hand from iniquity
And executed true judgment between man and man;
9 If he has walked in My statutes
And kept My judgments faithfully—
He is just;
He shall surely live!”
Says the Lord God.
10 “If he begets a son who is a robber
Or a shedder of blood,
Who does any of these things
11 And does none of those duties,
But has eaten on the mountains
Or defiled his neighbor’s wife;
12 If he has oppressed the poor and needy,
Robbed by violence,
Not restored the pledge,
Lifted his eyes to the idols,
Or committed abomination;
13 If he has exacted usury
Or taken increase—
Shall he then live?
He shall not live!
If he has done any of these abominations,
He shall surely die;
His blood shall be upon him.
14 “If, however, he begets a son
Who sees all the sins which his father has done,
And considers but does not do likewise;
15 Who has not eaten on the mountains,
Nor lifted his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel,
Nor defiled his neighbor’s wife;
16 Has not oppressed anyone,
Nor withheld a pledge,
Nor robbed by violence,
But has given his bread to the hungry
And covered the naked with clothing;
17 Who has withdrawn his hand from the poor
And not received usury or increase,
But has executed My judgments
And walked in My statutes—
He shall not die for the iniquity of his father;
He shall surely live!
18 “As for his father,
Because he cruelly oppressed,
Robbed his brother by violence,
And did what is not good among his people,
Behold, he shall die for his iniquity.

Turn and Live

19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?’ Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

21 “But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 22 None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live. 23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord God, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?

24 “But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die.

25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ Hear now, O house of Israel, is it not My way which is fair, and your ways which are not fair? 26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and dies in it, it is because of the iniquity which he has done that he dies. 27 Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness which he committed, and does what is lawful and right, he preserves himself alive. 28 Because he considers and turns away from all the transgressions which he committed, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 29 Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ O house of Israel, is it not My ways which are fair, and your ways which are not fair?

30 “Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways,” says the Lord God. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,” says the Lord God. “Therefore turn and live!”





Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#28) Old
Frayed Knot Frayed Knot is offline
Veteran
 Frayed Knot's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Frayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enough
March 19th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the elaboration, Stripe. I guess I was thinking more of an explanation of Christian theology and not just quoting OT verses. Like the concept of "original sin" - I don't believe that's actually mentioned in the Bible, but is more of a big-picture explanation that theologians have put together. And it's the concept of original sin that I was specifically talking about.

I have no doubt that someone familiar with the code of Hammurabi or other ancient texts could find verses that support the view that people are responsible for their own actions. Conversely, it's very easy to find Bible verses that support the idea that children are responsible for their fathers' sins.

Exodus 20:5 , Deuteronomy 5:9
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Exodus 34:7
Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Numbers 14:18
Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Deuteronomy 23:2
A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

1 Kings 2:33
Their blood shall therefore return upon the head of Joab, and upon the head of his seed for ever.

Isaiah 14:21
Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers.

Jeremiah 29:32
Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed.


See, I can play that find-a-verse game too. But what's your explanation of original sin, and why is it not a case of current humans suffering for Adam's sin?



   
Reply With Quote
  (#29) Old
Stripe Stripe is online now
LIFETIME MEMBER
 Stripe's Avatar

 




Reputation:
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
March 19th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
Thanks for the elaboration, Stripe. I guess I was thinking more of an explanation of Christian theology and not just quoting OT verses. Like the concept of "original sin" - I don't believe that's actually mentioned in the Bible, but is more of a big-picture explanation that theologians have put together. And it's the concept of original sin that I was specifically talking about.

I have no doubt that someone familiar with the code of Hammurabi or other ancient texts could find verses that support the view that people are responsible for their own actions. Conversely, it's very easy to find Bible verses that support the idea that children are responsible for their fathers' sins.

Exodus 20:5 , Deuteronomy 5:9
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Exodus 34:7
Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Numbers 14:18
Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Deuteronomy 23:2
A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

1 Kings 2:33
Their blood shall therefore return upon the head of Joab, and upon the head of his seed for ever.

Isaiah 14:21
Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers.

Jeremiah 29:32
Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed.


See, I can play that find-a-verse game too.
Congratulations.

Now perhaps you can explain to us why these verses would exist together when you think they directly contradict one another. Perhaps there's more to the story than your brief investigation has revealed.

Or are you happy to believe that the authors of the bible did not know what others had written or did know and we're comfortable ignoring it?

Choose well.
Quote:
But what's your explanation of original sin, and why is it not a case of current humans suffering for Adam's sin?


1. We are troubled in that our society and planet have been exposed to rebellion, decay and death.

2. We are all responsible for our own actions.

Big difference between 1 and 2.





Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#30) Old
Frayed Knot Frayed Knot is offline
Veteran
 Frayed Knot's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Frayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enoughFrayed Knot will become famous soon enough
March 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Now perhaps you can explain to us why these verses would exist together when you think they directly contradict one another.
Because it's a set of separate books written by fallible humans, capturing their primitive society's traditions but the authors putting their own take on things. That's the obvious answer. Is there any evidence that it's not the right one?


Quote:
1. We are troubled in that our society and planet have been exposed to rebellion, decay and death.
But there's a lot more to the concept of original sin, than just we're bothered by bad stuff.

If we're all responsible for our own actions, then tell me again why Jesus needed to die? I thought it was something about substitutionary atonement.



   
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 1997-2012 TheologyOnLine



Logos Bible Study Software Up to 15% OFF FOR THEOLOGYONLINE MEMBERS! Study twice, post once.
Logos Bible Software take your Bible study to the next level.