TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Politics
Reload this Page Should Public Schools Exist?
Politics Current Events, Abortion, homosexuality, gun control, public schools, welfare, taxes, government etc.

(#1) Old
TOL Subscriber

Clete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peers
Should Public Schools Exist? - March 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Should the government be permitted to remove children from their homes and subject the children to educational training and procedures of which the parents may or may not approve? Should citizens have their wealth expropriated to support an educational system which they may or may not sanction and to pay for the education of children who are not their own?

http://www.theologyonline.com/cletesig.jpg

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Is Open Theism Christian Theism?

(#2) Old
TOL Subscriber

drbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM

No, No and No!!!!

Been studying this and seems like the Prussian system has sold us down the river!

An honest agnostic is one who put God to the test like he wants you to; to prove Himself to you, that's why no man can or ever will convince you of there being God and His son Jesus. ONLY He can do that. An honest agnostic wants to know the truth no matter the cost or where it leads you. You accept the conclusions on your own. That's an honest agnostic. A dishonest one says I don't care.Thereby becoming an atheist and a Fool!

(#3) Old
TOL Subscriber

drbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peersdrbrumley is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM

John D. Rockefeller, General Education Board (1906) said this:
“In our dreams, people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present education conventions of intellectual and character education fade from their minds, and, unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive folk. We shall not try to make these people, or any of their children, into philosophers, or men of science. We have not to raise up from them authors, educators, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for great artists, painters, musicians nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen – of whom we have an ample supply. The task is simple. We will organize children and teach them in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.”

An honest agnostic is one who put God to the test like he wants you to; to prove Himself to you, that's why no man can or ever will convince you of there being God and His son Jesus. ONLY He can do that. An honest agnostic wants to know the truth no matter the cost or where it leads you. You accept the conclusions on your own. That's an honest agnostic. A dishonest one says I don't care.Thereby becoming an atheist and a Fool!

(#4) Old
Over 1500 post club

Jordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticed
March 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM

I was homeschooled and I still can see a need for some public education, but I would imagine a much different model than what is in play for public education today. If you really want people to get a good education, privatize the schools. This will lead to better paying jobs, more thorough education, schools that teach from other perspectives, and would increase the overall quality of education.

Personally I wish we could go back to the days of the Greeks, who would learn by conversation and debate and seeking out truth, instead of today, having it spoonfed to children and telling them to regurgitate it onto a scantron. Yes folks this is what we consider the intelectual; the man who is most skilled in informative vomit.
In all honesty the education system today comparatively is quite a step down from how it used to be, but perhaps with a few little tweeks it can be a glimmer of its past glory.

(#5) Old
TOL Subscriber

Clete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peersClete is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Fontenot View Post
I was homeschooled and I still can see a need for some public education, but I would imagine a much different model than what is in play for public education today. If you really want people to get a good education, privatize the schools. This will lead to better paying jobs, more thorough education, schools that teach from other perspectives, and would increase the overall quality of education.
This paragraph seems self contradictory.

Everything in it makes perfect sense except for the clause, "...and I still can see a need for some public education".

This rings in my ears as "I still see some need for the government to do a crap job at educating some children."

Clete

http://www.theologyonline.com/cletesig.jpg

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Is Open Theism Christian Theism?

(#6) Old
Over 1500 post club

Jordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticedJordan Fontenot has been getting noticed
March 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete View Post
This paragraph seems self contradictory.

Everything in it makes perfect sense except for the clause, "...and I still can see a need for some public education".

This rings in my ears as "I still see some need for the government to do a crap job at educating some children."

Clete
Didn't say it needed to be done by the government

(#7) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

aCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peersaCultureWarrior is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Should the government be permitted to remove children from their homes and subject the children to educational training and procedures of which the parents may or may not approve? Should citizens have their wealth expropriated to support an educational system which they may or may not sanction and to pay for the education of children who are not their own?
Christians abandoned what was once a Godly institution, http://www.angelfire.com/la2/prophet...onamerica.html

allowing the God-hating heathens from the ACLU to take over.
http://www.schoolprayerinamerica.info/

I have to ask you Clete, what are Christians going to run from next, the church? (Liberal theology is there as well).

"Make no mistake: Children are the target of what I call the “sexual anarchy movement.” Whether it’s the movement’s pedophile wing that seeks to literally rape children, or its radical pro-abortion, homosexualist and feminist wings, which seek to rape the minds of children, the larger sexual anarchy movement has a shared goal: Attack, corrupt and destroy God’s design for human sexuality. Children are just collateral damage."

Matt Barber from his article "Sexual Anarchy"

(#8) Old
~Peace if possible, but truth at any rate~

Angel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peers
Angel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM

Move to Texas and homeschool your child. Texas has the most lenient homeschool laws in the nation.

Your homeschool is considered a private school, and the public schools cannot insist on standardized testing for your child and you do not have to report to anyone.

Texas universities cannot discriminate against a graduate of homeschool and have to treat them exactly the same as they came from any high school in the state.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Texas.pdf

1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

Psalm 40:5
Many, LORD my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare.

(#9) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
Christians abandoned what was once a Godly institution, http://www.angelfire.com/la2/prophet...onamerica.html

allowing the God-hating heathens from the ACLU to take over.
http://www.schoolprayerinamerica.info/

I have to ask you Clete, what are Christians going to run from next, the church? (Liberal theology is there as well).

(#10) Old
TOL Subscriber

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
YEP, for the common good. What procedures are you refurring too? We all pay taxes for things we don't like. We send out money to other countries. Why pick on schools? That is where our best value for our tax dollar is.

Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

(#11) Old
TOL Subscriber

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
Move to Texas and homeschool your child. Texas has the most lenient homeschool laws in the nation.

Your homeschool is considered a private school, and the public schools cannot insist on standardized testing for your child and you do not have to report to anyone.

Texas universities cannot discriminate against a graduate of homeschool and have to treat them exactly the same as they came from any high school in the state.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Texas.pdf
That all well and good, but I wonder how many children are not getting an education at all. There is very little home schooling in New England.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

(#12) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keypurr View Post
YEP, for the common good. What procedures are you refurring too? We all pay taxes for things we don't like. We send out money to other countries. Why pick on schools? That is where our best value for our tax dollar is.
What common good are you talking about?

And we shouldn't send our money overseas either!

(#13) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keypurr View Post
There is very little home schooling in New England.
That's the plan Stan!

(#14) Old

some other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peerssome other dude is well respected by his peers
March 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Remember folks, half the people in this country have IQs lower than 100. And many of them are registered Democrats.

They're not competent to school their own children. In fact, many of them are not able to raise their children well enough to succeed in public school. Imagine how dismally they'd fail without the little bit of learning they get now.

(#15) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
What common good are you talking about?

And we shouldn't send our money overseas either!
Education is a must in this world. A lot of folks will not take the time to home school their kids. Where do you think your tax dollar should go?

Tags
education, homeschool