TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Did evil always exist before Adam?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
Journeyman

Disciple_of_christ will become famous soon enoughDisciple_of_christ will become famous soon enough
Did evil always exist before Adam? - April 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM

I believe that evil always existed. James 1:14-15 "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." This implies that lust brings forth sin. In genesis 3, Adam and eve were tempted,drawn away from their own lust and enticed which produced sin but they were already capable of committing evil. As to the reason why evil may have always existed was because in the beginning, Gods "ultimate will" was not yet fulfilled. His ultimate will is to be glorified by ending death (1 Cor. 15:26) and to create a new heaven and earth (revelation 21:1) Your thoughts are welcome.

(#2) Old
Over 4000 post club

Spitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peers
Spitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peers
April 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM

If not evil, then the potential for evil had already existed. Adam and Eve's obedience could not have been a good thing if they were unable to do otherwise. But I think most likely Satan had already fallen by that time and rebellion against God's will was not totally new when Adam and Eve also rebelled.

"So as not to exchange one evil for another, this poor land must be saved from the scourge of friend and foe alike." - Friedrich Schiller

Posting ability officially rated "pretty good" by Delmar.

(#3) Old
Over 1500 post club

I aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respected
April 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM

If evil has always existed then the Bible verse in the OP doesn't say that. It says that evil exists in man's hearts and minds, and man hasn't always existed. God has always existed so the OP is saying that God is evil. Bad OP, bad.

(#4) Old
Journeyman

Disciple_of_christ will become famous soon enoughDisciple_of_christ will become famous soon enough
April 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I aint no monkey View Post
If evil has always existed then the Bible verse in the OP doesn't say that. It says that evil exists in man's hearts and minds, and man hasn't always existed. God has always existed so the OP is saying that God is evil. Bad OP, bad.
Demons are also evil, one extraordinary example are the sons of god (job 1:6 and genesis 1-4) so evil can also exist within supernatural beings.

(#5) Old
Over 1500 post club

I aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respectedI aint no monkey is well respected
April 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_christ View Post
Demons are also evil, one extraordinary example are the sons of god (job 1:6 and genesis 1-4) so evil can also exist within supernatural beings.
True, but they also were created by God and didn't exist forever.

(#6) Old
Over 6000 post club

One Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peersOne Eyed Jack is well respected by his peers
April 16th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_christ View Post
I believe that evil always existed.
It hasn't. Only God has always existed.

(#7) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
April 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Good and evil are relative terms. They exist as long as there are beings who understand responsibility. That's where Adam and Eve came unstuck - they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and swapped the possibility of unending child-like life for the adulthood of knowing good and evil and all the responsibility that brings.

Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
Nimrod: We don't have the manuscripts of where the KJV got the text.
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone

(#8) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

steko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peers
steko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peerssteko is well respected by his peers
April 16th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
It hasn't. Only God has always existed.
Right!
GOD is uncreated infinite being, necessarily thoroughly and infinitely good.
If evil has always existed then it would have found its' origin in GOD, thus GOD would be infinitely evil.
Evil, sin, rebellion finds its' origin in the good gift from GOD which we call free will. Evil results from choices which are contrary to GOD's immutable good nature.
The end of evil, rather the separation of evil from the good, will occur when GOD separates those who have freely chosen Him from those who have freely chosen to remain autonomous from Him. This separation will be permanent.

(#9) Old
TOL Subscriber

Bradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselves
April 16th, 2012, 11:39 PM

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day" (Genesis 1:31).

I do not see how evil could have existed at this time.

I believe evil came when Adam and Eve disobeyed God. Evil is the opposite of good which is God.

(#10) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Ktoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peers
Ktoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peersKtoyou is well respected by his peers
April 16th, 2012, 11:52 PM

Evil existed only with the dark angels, not with humans until the source was open and that source came from the evil and caused the evil of pride and this led to disobedience and the desire ti rule oneself.

So, what?

believe it!

(#11) Old
TOL Subscriber

Frank Ernest is well respected by his peers
Frank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peersFrank Ernest is well respected by his peers
April 17th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Ezekiel 28:11-19 (KJV) refers to a time before Eden. So, evil came to be whenever that was.

Psalm 144

(#12) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
April 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM

evil does not exist

prior to Adam some of the angels rebelled
so
at the time of Adam there were evil spirits to lead him astray

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#13) Old
Gonna go back in time!

Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
April 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Satan's fall was his temptation of Eve. Beforehand there was no evil.

(#14) Old
Old Timer

COLA76 will become famous soon enoughCOLA76 will become famous soon enoughCOLA76 will become famous soon enoughCOLA76 will become famous soon enough
April 17th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Satan's fall was his temptation of Eve. Beforehand there was no evil.
I would be interested to see how you substantiate that position.

(#15) Old
Old Timer

COLA76 will become famous soon enoughCOLA76 will become famous soon enoughCOLA76 will become famous soon enoughCOLA76 will become famous soon enough
April 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM

I agree with Spitfire that the potential for evil always existed. That is, as long as free contingent beings have existed. As long as beings have been able to choose, they have been able to choose wrong.