TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Does the idea of the One God refer to Nature or Person?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
Over 500 post club

Drake Shelton acts like a tree huggin' hippy
Does the idea of the One God refer to Nature or Person? - November 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM

Is the God that you worship a person or an essence?

(#2) Old
TOL Subscriber

Bradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselves
November 14th, 2012, 12:04 AM

God is a personal God.

"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth" (John 4:24).

"Christian theologian Alister McGrath writes that there are good reasons to suggest that a "personal god" is integral to the Christian outlook, but that one has to understand it is an analogy. 'To say that God is like a person is to affirm the divine ability and willingness to relate to others. This does not imply that God is human, or located at a specific point in the universe.' Muslims believe that the purpose of existence is to worship God. He is viewed as a personal God and there are no intermediaries, such as clergy, to contact God. A reciprocal nature is mentioned in the hadith qudsi, 'I am as My servant thinks (expects) I am" (wikipedia).

(#3) Old
TOL Subscriber

godrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peersgodrulz is well respected by his peers
November 14th, 2012, 01:35 AM

Both/and, not either/or.

God is personal and He is spirit. Essence/substance/nature/metaphysics refers to the 'what' of God, while 'person/personal distinction' refers to the 'who' of God.

God is triune, Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Within the one essence/nature/substance/being of God are 3 personal distinctions (not 3 finite persons, not 3 gods) who are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential.

Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

"No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

(#4) Old
The hope of glory

ChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputation
November 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Shelton View Post
Persons.

"If you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ!" Gal. 5:4

"How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?"
Gal. 3:3

"Do you not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?" 2 Cor. 13:5

(#5) Old
Over 500 post club

November 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post
God is a personal God.
So you only pray to one person?

(#6) Old
Over 500 post club

November 14th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrulz View Post
Both/and, not either/or.

God is personal and He is spirit. Essence/substance/nature/metaphysics refers to the 'what' of God, while 'person/personal distinction' refers to the 'who' of God.

God is triune, Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Within the one essence/nature/substance/being of God are 3 personal distinctions (not 3 finite persons, not 3 gods) who are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential.
So do you pray to three persons?

(#7) Old
Over 500 post club

November 14th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristNU View Post
Persons.
So you pray to multiple persons? How is this not paganism?

(#8) Old
The hope of glory

ChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputationChristNU has a large reputation
November 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
How is this not paganism?
Because God is One.

"If you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ!" Gal. 5:4

"How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?"
Gal. 3:3

"Do you not recognize that Jesus Christ is in you?" 2 Cor. 13:5

(#9) Old
TOL Subscriber

Mike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputationMike C. has a large reputation
November 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
A single being, who can present Himself to us however He sees fit.

James 3:17
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Last edited by Mike C.; November 14th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: word order

(#10) Old
TOL Subscriber

Bradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselvesBradley D is making a name for themselves
November 14th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
"After this manner therefore pray: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be your name.

Your kingdom come. Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen" (Matthew 6:9-13)

Last edited by Bradley D; November 14th, 2012 at 09:33 PM..

(#11) Old
TOL Subscriber

keypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peerskeypurr is well respected by his peers
November 14th, 2012, 09:18 PM

I pray to the father who is a spirit.
He is the only true God. Jesus told me that and I believe him.

Psalm 1[/COLOR] and Job 28:28

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Joh 4:23 "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ

(#12) Old
TOL Legend

OMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peersOMEGA is well respected by his peers
November 14th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Drunk Skelton,

The Description of a person is throughout the Bible.

If you want an accurate description of God the Father read Rev 4:3

Revelation 4:3

And the one seated on it was like jasper and carnelian in appearance,

and a rainbow looking like it was made of emerald encircled the throne.

GOD HAS PROMISED US IMMORTALITY

(#13) Old
Gold level Subscriber

Lazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselvesLazy afternoon is making a name for themselves
November 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM

Hi,

When i was young I only knew mother but not very well and hardly knew my father at all.

Now I talk to my Mother about many things and He to me, but when I am in my Fathers presence I have to be careful what I say to my Father.

Most believers do not know who they are praying to, especially those who think God has three heads.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

LA

(#14) Old
Presbyterian (PCA)

Ask Mr. Religion is well respected by his peers
Ask Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peersAsk Mr. Religion is well respected by his peers
November 14th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
So you only pray to one person?
Quote:
Quote:
So you pray to multiple persons? How is this not paganism?
I can play "twenty-question-gotcha" too, versus just making the point I intend to make.

Question for you: Is prayer a form of divine worship?

AMR

WARNING: Embedded links that may be in my response or the twenty-eight in the sig below are not for the faint of heart.
Chaplain, ChristianForums
Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
Admin Staff/Faculty,
The North American Reformed Seminary

I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
The best TOL Social Group: here.
If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
Why?

(#15) Old
BANNED

sky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peers
November 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristNU View Post
Persons.
Three Persons, one essence.