TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Is it acceptable for a Christian to be unrighteous when expressing righteous anger?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

View Poll Results: Is it acceptable for a Christian to be unrighteous when expressing righteous anger?
Yes 0 0%
No 19 95.00%
Other; explain 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
Is it acceptable for a Christian to be unrighteous when expressing righteous anger? - November 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Whether correcting the believer or evangelizing the unbeliever:

Is it acceptable for a Christian to use unrighteous behavior when expressing what he believes to be a righteous anger?

Does the end justify the means? Is it okay to insult, mock, belittle, defame or lie about others when evangelizing or correcting what the Christian believes to be their wrong attitude, behavior or belief?

It seems that a lot of Christians think it's okay; that those they consider to be in error, in sin, or in heresy deserve to be treated unrighteously until they repent.

Last edited by annabenedetti; November 27th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: clarification

(#2) Old
Journeyman

Preceptive will become famous soon enoughPreceptive will become famous soon enough
November 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
Is it acceptable for a Christian to use unrighteous behavior when expressing what he believes to be a righteous anger?

Does the end justify the means? Is it okay to insult, mock, belittle, defame or lie about others when evangelizing or correcting what he believes to be their wrong attitude, behavior or belief?

It seems that a lot of Christians think it's okay, that those they consider to be in error, in sin, or in heresy deserved to be treated unrighteously until they repent.
"Should we sin so that grace may abound?" Absolutely not.
Personal experience with this:
Wen I was 14 I got into an argument with a few people on Facebook about the nature of the Scriptures in which I used a few colorful words. Being a public forum, the headmaster and several of the students of the school I was in at the time saw the debate and I was suspended for almost a week. I was then made to issue a public apology to the entire student body on the topic of doing the wrong thing with the right motives.

There isn't any place for sin or anger or malice in the life of the Christian, and certainly not in the life of the Evangelist.

(#3) Old
Schwärzeste Aller Schafe

Spitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peers
Spitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM

The same crowd usually seems inclined to say that the morally correct actions of unbelievers should never be applauded - because good works won't save them and they're still unbelievers.

I could not possibly disagree more.

"So as not to exchange one evil for another, this poor land must be saved from the scourge of friend and foe alike." - Friedrich Schiller

Posting ability officially rated "pretty good" by Delmar.

(#4) Old
TOL Subscriber

jeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peersjeremysdemo is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM

if you are wise as the serpent and harmless as the dove you do not allow others to cause you to sin.

the first sin was adultery/fornication Genesis 3:6, the second was calling that which was born out of sin something from God, Genesis 4:1.

what says the scriptures, Isaiah 1:22 KJV if salt loses it savor? Mark 9:50

keep shinin

jerm

(#5) Old
look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preceptive View Post
"Should we sin so that grace may abound?" Absolutely not.
Personal experience with this:
Wen I was 14 I got into an argument with a few people on Facebook about the nature of the Scriptures in which I used a few colorful words. Being a public forum, the headmaster and several of the students of the school I was in at the time saw the debate and I was suspended for almost a week. I was then made to issue a public apology to the entire student body on the topic of doing the wrong thing with the right motives.

There isn't any place for sin or anger or malice in the life of the Christian, and certainly not in the life of the Evangelist.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I agree with you, while acknowledging how easy it is to say and hard to do.

(#6) Old
look at the stars

November 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The same crowd usually seems inclined to say that the morally correct actions of unbelievers should never be applauded - because good works won't save them and they're still unbelievers.
I've seen that too.

(#7) Old
Let's roll!

Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM

In any given situation, ask what time is it.
Ecclesiastes 3 KJV
(1) To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
(2) A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
(3) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
(4) A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
(5) A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
(6) A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
(7) A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
(8) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

(#8) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
No

Quote:
Does the end justify the means?
No

Quote:
Is it okay to insult, mock, belittle, defame or lie about others when evangelizing or correcting what the Christian believes to be their wrong attitude, behavior or belief?
It's certainly okay if their wish is to be a hypocrite and have everything they say and stand for disregarded.

Quote:
It seems that a lot of Christians think it's okay, that those they consider to be in error, in sin, or in heresy deserve to be treated unrighteously until they repent.
I guess it depends on the person and their goal. IF the goal is to spread the word and achieve positive results, then insulting, belittling, defaming and lying will never enter into the equation.

However, if, OTOH, the intent is to satisfy their own ego, then the above is the way to go.

To be fair, I have no use for nonbelievers who spend their time mocking others for their religious beliefs and convictions instead of actually DISCUSSING why they believe as they do.

(#9) Old
look at the stars

November 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
In any given situation, ask what time is it.
Ecclesiastes 3 KJV
(1) To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
(2) A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
(3) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
(4) A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
(5) A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
(6) A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
(7) A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
(8) A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Is there a time to be unrighteous?

(#10) Old
look at the stars

November 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
I guess it depends on the person and their goal. IF the goal is to spread the word and achieve positive results, then insulting, belittling, defaming and lying will never enter into the equation.
That's pretty much the goal I'm thinking about. Evangelizing the non-believer or correcting the believer they think has gone astray in whatever way.

(#11) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM

were it not for unrighteous behavior
this forum wouldn't last a week
one of the reasons that I have so many on ignore is so I don't react in anger
we all need to work on that
it makes us mean

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#12) Old
BANNED

November 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Being righteous is not what man thinks it is. Learn the meaning of;

"The Lord is righteous and He loves righteous works."

"The Lord is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works."

"The words of the Lord are upright and all His works are truthful, He loves justice and right."

'The upright will dwell in the land ,the blameless will remain in it,"

Walk in my presence and be blameless, says the Lord.

No one acts righteously no one speaks truthfully, they refuse to recognize me says the Lord.

(#13) Old
Over 2000 post club

Livelystone has been getting noticedLivelystone has been getting noticedLivelystone has been getting noticedLivelystone has been getting noticedLivelystone has been getting noticedLivelystone has been getting noticed
November 27th, 2012, 02:51 PM

God does not ask of us what he does not deliver himself.

I believe the key is “in anger sin not”.

We know Jesus never committed a sin yet he did a pretty good job of kicking butt in the courtyard when the lawbreakers and the tithes for lies crowd took over.

Please read and support: "Modern Day Prophet" by Douglas Duncan. PM for a free E-book

(#14) Old
An idiot with a box

Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
November 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM

How do you define unrighteous? What makes these actions unrighteous?

I'm not saying they are all righteous, or that they are incapable of being unrighteous, in fact in your list there are things that are wrong to do, no matter what, but how do you come to that conclusion, or the conclusion they are all wrong, all the time?

(#15) Old
look at the stars

November 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
How do you define unrighteous? What makes these actions unrighteous?
unrighteous:

not
righteous; not upright or virtuous; wicked; sinful; evil.

Quote:
I'm not saying they are all righteous, or that they are incapable of being unrighteous, in fact in your list there are things that are wrong to do, no matter what, but how do you come to that conclusion, or the conclusion they are all wrong, all the time?
I say it's wrong to lie about someone's beliefs or practices or defame his character for the purpose of getting one's message across.

Do you agree with that?

Tags
bacon, much is required, to whom much is given