TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion > Exclusively Christian Theology
Reload this Page ECT: Losing one's soul
Exclusively Christian Theology This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.

Closed Thread

(#1) Old
TOL Legend

Nang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peers
Losing one's soul - December 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM

Mark 8:36-37

What do you think it means to lose one's soul? What would that be like, and what would cause it to ever happen?

Nang

"The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

"Experience teaches us nothing; revelation teaches all we need to know."

“ Those who proclaim that the sovereignty of God determines what justice is, (do so) by observing what God actually does. Whatever God does is just.”

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#2) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nang View Post

What do you think it means to lose one's soul? What would that be like, and what would cause it to ever happen?

Nang
the second death

a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

(#3) Old
BANNED

sky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Nang
Nevermind.

(#4) Old

Eeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 02:54 PM

Nang you may find my answer a bit zany, but you asked.

Every living thing contains spirit which is part of God and animates all life. That includes plants, animals and mankind. Soul is the spirit of God within humans that has its own unique identity and awareness. Remove spirit from any living thing and it will die in the physical. In the case of every living thing except man spirit is reabsorbed into God. For the vast majority of mankind the only way souls can exit the body is through the natural process of decay through the life cycle which ultimately causes the physical to die. When a person dies the soul (which is the self aware spirit) leaves the body yet retains its individuality. A companion if you will to God. Losing ones soul is the situation where your spirit force is reabsorbed into God without retaining your individual self awareness or soul. You die in that sense because while the spirit still exists nothing of your individuality remains.

Please don't ask me about the mechanics of all of this because I have no idea how God makes all of creation function. It is entirely possible that I am wrong in how I comprehend these things. I'll have a better understanding when my physical body dies. That is, of course, predicated on the assumption that I do not lose my soul at that time.

Let me say, however, that it is a beautiful thing to see the spirit force in all living things. I have no hatred of others because that would be hating God. I might not like or understand the perspective or acts of another soul but that soul is still part of God.

(#5) Old
TOL Legend

Nang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
Nang you may find my answer a bit zany, but you asked.

Every living thing contains spirit which is part of God and animates all life. That includes plants, animals and mankind. Soul is the spirit of God within humans that has its own unique identity and awareness. Remove spirit from any living thing and it will die in the physical. In the case of every living thing except man spirit is reabsorbed into God. For the vast majority of mankind the only way souls can exit the body is through the natural process of decay through the life cycle which ultimately causes the physical to die. When a person dies the soul (which is the self aware spirit) leaves the body yet retains its individuality. A companion if you will to God. Losing ones soul is the situation where your spirit force is reabsorbed into God without retaining your individual self awareness or soul. You die in that sense because while the spirit still exists nothing of your individuality remains.

Please don't ask me about the mechanics of all of this because I have no idea how God makes all of creation function. It is entirely possible that I am wrong in how I comprehend these things. I'll have a better understanding when my physical body dies. That is, of course, predicated on the assumption that I do not lose my soul at that time.

Let me say, however, that it is a beautiful thing to see the spirit force in all living things. I have no hatred of others because that would be hating God. I might not like or understand the perspective or acts of another soul but that soul is still part of God.
Your reply describes a false view called Pantheism and does not pertain to the question, let alone give a biblical answer.

"The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

“ Those who proclaim that the sovereignty of God determines what justice is, (do so) by observing what God actually does. Whatever God does is just.”

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#6) Old

Eeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Your reply describes a false view called Pantheism and does not pertain to the question, let alone give a biblical answer.
Well I missed where you wanted a doctrinal response. Sorry. But you are incorrect because Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal or anthropomorphic god. I do.

(#7) Old
BANNED

sky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peerssky. is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Nang
Mocking God?

(#8) Old
Gold level Subscriber

bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
Well I missed where you wanted a doctrinal response. Sorry. But you are incorrect because Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal or anthropomorphic god. I do.
With respect Eeset. I would not argue with Nang. She knows what she is talking about.

(#9) Old
TOL Subscriber

chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
December 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybee View Post
With respect Eeset. I would not argue with Nang. She knows what she is talking about.
she doesn't seem to know anything about the second death

(#10) Old
BANNED

December 1st, 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
Actually I don't know how someone can literally lose their soul. I thought the soul was eternal. It goes to one of two places and lives on in eternity in one of those two places.

(#11) Old
TOL Legend

December 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Giving you time to elaborate further, if you like . . .

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#12) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 1st, 2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Giving you time to elaborate further, if you like . . .
the second death is where you lose your soul

does that help?

(#13) Old
TOL Legend

December 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky. View Post
Actually I don't know how someone can literally lose their soul. I thought the soul was eternal. It goes to one of two places and lives on in eternity in one of those two places.
Good thinking.

Take this a bit further . . .

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#14) Old
TOL Legend

December 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
the second death is where you lose your soul

does that help?
Where does the soul go?

Or does it just disappear?

What happens to the rest of you?

Or is there a "rest of you?"

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#15) Old
TOL Subscriber

December 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Where does the soul go?

Or does it just disappear?

What happens to the rest of you?

Or is there a "rest of you?"
it is destroyed
it no longer exists
there is no rest of you

Closed Thread