TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page What Was the First thing God Made? (Gen 1,2)
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Markseasigh Markseasigh is offline
Over 1000 post club

 


Reputation:
Markseasigh will become famous soon enoughMarkseasigh will become famous soon enoughMarkseasigh will become famous soon enough
Question What Was the First thing God Made? (Gen 1,2) - December 4th, 2012, 01:31 AM

I really like this question.
First i would like to say that it depends which creation story your reading. : )
I assume your referring to Chapter 1 of genesis, but i ask you not to forget the second creation story which is Gen 2:4-25
The transition of them using the title GOD which is "Elohim" the plural form of God, and LORD GOD whom is "YHWH" said YAH WEH in toung. In the torah the Hebrew version of the holy bible's first five books gen - Deut. Has instead of the title GOD, or LORD GOD it actually writes out Elohim And YHWH. The Reason that The writers of the hebrew original text abreviated YHWH is cause the real name YHWH is a double digit long character name. Which is very interesting.

Anyway the first creation story which is Gen 1
The first thing EL does is Separate the Light from the Dark.
Ive talked to many and we've decided that this light may not be light like that would fill a room but actually the positive and negative energy being assigned their proper charges by a creative creator. By doing this you create a question and an answer. an up and down. a salt and pepper, just kidding those are just two spices trying to make it in an crazy world.
But the idea is from this basic idea of opposites it allowed god to create the rest of creation. What EL is making here is the actual physics and math that the universe itself, the book of life is wrote in. That is why the sun is created after the light and dark are separated.

In my mind the real question is when did Elohim in Gen 1 make water? Or earth for that matter. I realize that its paraphrased at the beginning of gen 1 that he created the heaven and the earth, but during the creation story EL is floating over the waters of the earth and decided this was a good place to create life. Caused the earth to come out of the bottom of the ocean to create dry land. then caused trees to grow on that land.

In Gen 2:4 it has the creation story all over again in a different order. Having man created and watched by YHWH.
very interesting to me.

The fact of the matter is that the first creation story is much older than the writers story he wrote in gen 2:4 it was Moses's version of creation. The older version with Elohim is Gen 1 and that version was much older than Moses. It was passed down through word of mouth for hundreds of years before it was ever wrote down. The second creation story and the frame setting for the rest of the bible is started here.

anyway read the verses and consider my words



   
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
tomlapalm tomlapalm is offline
Over 5000 post club

 


Reputation:
tomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselves
December 4th, 2012, 01:47 AM

The story of creation doesn't begin in Gen 1. Gen 1 starts the narrative of Redemption for fallen sinners

The first action in that narrative is shown in what is verse three of the first sentence (verses 1-3 is one sentence in Hebrew). The first thing created is Light.


Space, Time and Darkness began earlier at the moment Satan and those with him were expelled from Heaven. It was also the first for MERCY.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
Markseasigh Markseasigh is offline
Over 1000 post club

 


Reputation:
Markseasigh will become famous soon enoughMarkseasigh will become famous soon enoughMarkseasigh will become famous soon enough
December 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlapalm View Post
The story of creation doesn't begin in Gen 1. Gen 1 starts the narrative of Redemption for fallen sinners

The first action in that narrative is shown in what is verse three of the first sentence (verses 1-3 is one sentence in Hebrew). The first thing created is Light.


Space, Time and Darkness began earlier at the moment Satan and those with him were expelled from Heaven. It was also the first for MERCY.
But is this light the light of the sun or the positive energy in the universe?
Maybe so?
where does Genesis talk about Space, Time and Darkness beginning at the moment Satan and those With him were expelled from Heaven? Rev. 21 says that Satan that old serpent the great red dragon will fall out of heaven when he is cast out by the Arch Angel
Michael. But that has yet to happen. For it is in the revelation of John



   
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
Stuu Stuu is offline
Over 6000 post club

 


Reputation:
Stuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peersStuu is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markseasigh View Post
I really like this question.
First i would like to say that it depends which creation story your reading. : )
I assume your referring to Chapter 1 of genesis, but i ask you not to forget the second creation story which is Gen 2:4-25
The transition of them using the title GOD which is "Elohim" the plural form of God, and LORD GOD whom is "YHWH" said YAH WEH in toung. In the torah the Hebrew version of the holy bible's first five books gen - Deut. Has instead of the title GOD, or LORD GOD it actually writes out Elohim And YHWH. The Reason that The writers of the hebrew original text abreviated YHWH is cause the real name YHWH is a double digit long character name. Which is very interesting.

Anyway the first creation story which is Gen 1
The first thing EL does is Separate the Light from the Dark.
Ive talked to many and we've decided that this light may not be light like that would fill a room but actually the positive and negative energy being assigned their proper charges by a creative creator. By doing this you create a question and an answer. an up and down. a salt and pepper, just kidding those are just two spices trying to make it in an crazy world.
But the idea is from this basic idea of opposites it allowed god to create the rest of creation. What EL is making here is the actual physics and math that the universe itself, the book of life is wrote in. That is why the sun is created after the light and dark are separated.

In my mind the real question is when did Elohim in Gen 1 make water? Or earth for that matter. I realize that its paraphrased at the beginning of gen 1 that he created the heaven and the earth, but during the creation story EL is floating over the waters of the earth and decided this was a good place to create life. Caused the earth to come out of the bottom of the ocean to create dry land. then caused trees to grow on that land.

In Gen 2:4 it has the creation story all over again in a different order. Having man created and watched by YHWH.
very interesting to me.

The fact of the matter is that the first creation story is much older than the writers story he wrote in gen 2:4 it was Moses's version of creation. The older version with Elohim is Gen 1 and that version was much older than Moses. It was passed down through word of mouth for hundreds of years before it was ever wrote down. The second creation story and the frame setting for the rest of the bible is started here.

anyway read the verses and consider my words
Is it really that interesting? I suppose it is mildly interesting to know an ancient Jewish creation myth, but you'd want to pass on to Babylonian and Greek ancient cosmology pretty quickly I would have thought.

Stuart



   
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
chrysostom chrysostom is offline
TOL Subscriber
 chrysostom's Avatar

 



Reputation:
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
chrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peerschrysostom is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 05:41 AM

What Was the First thing God Made?

light

everything else is a form of it





a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:
   
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
RevTestament RevTestament is offline
Over 2500 post club
 RevTestament's Avatar

 


Reputation:
RevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respectedRevTestament is well respected
December 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
Is it really that interesting? I suppose it is mildly interesting to know an ancient Jewish creation myth, but you'd want to pass on to Babylonian and Greek ancient cosmology pretty quickly I would have thought.

Stuart
I have learned a lot about Genesis, esp over the last 15 years, and have found it is a very deep book.
First notice that it never says God created the elements. It says:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Thus, we find God moved his spirit on the waters of space stuff, and apparently organized it into the land, sea and sky.

Now about chapter 2, Mark.
It is very different as you have commented. This is because it is teaching the spiritual things of creation. So now we find in Gen 2:4 that the days of creation are the "generations of the earth, when it was created." We find God saying that the plants and living things were created b4 God placed them in the earth. We find the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life. Also the flaming sword or the word to lead Adam/man back to God. We know these weren't literal trees because we find the tree of life in Revelation. John said: "For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that whoso believeth on him, should not perish but have everlasting life." Jesus said He is the true vine tree. So a couple things about God's symbolism to consider. We also find that once Man ate of the tree of knowledge, God said, "now the man has become as one of us, to know good and evil." So in summation, we have the entire basic plan of salvation here in a nutshell.




Last edited by RevTestament; December 4th, 2012 at 08:29 AM..
   
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Nick M Nick M is offline
Smoke' em All
 Nick M's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM

There is only one creation timeline in the Bible. Detail is given to people being created on the 6th day after the order is given. The light on the first day is probably the manifestation of God to the physical world. Jesus is the light. And he seperates the light from the darkness.





Jesus saves completely.

Titus 1:10-11

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.climatedepot.com/
   
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
tomlapalm tomlapalm is offline
Over 5000 post club

 


Reputation:
tomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselves
December 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markseasigh View Post
But is this light the light of the sun or the positive energy in the universe?
Maybe so?
where does Genesis talk about Space, Time and Darkness beginning at the moment Satan and those With him were expelled from Heaven? Rev. 21 says that Satan that old serpent the great red dragon will fall out of heaven when he is cast out by the Arch Angel
Michael. But that has yet to happen. For it is in the revelation of John
Gen is not a primer on space and time. It is the beginning of a narrative of how God will redeem sinners

There is no darkness in Heaven. Light is from the throne. We know Satan we placed into darkness. Darkness had to be created. There was no physical (space) cosmos before Satan's fall because there was no need to be separated from God. There was no need for time. Time is delay in judgement. Time will end and judgment will continue. Why wasn't Satan sent straight o the lake of fire which was prepared for him and his angels? The delay in the execution of this judgement is time. It is evidence of God Mercy

From Job 38:7 we know angels existed at creation of the earth.

Satan fall was earlier probably much earlier.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
tomlapalm tomlapalm is offline
Over 5000 post club

 


Reputation:
tomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselvestomlapalm is making a name for themselves
December 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markseasigh View Post
But is this light the light of the sun or the positive energy in the universe?
Maybe so?
where does Genesis talk about Space, Time and Darkness beginning at the moment Satan and those With him were expelled from Heaven? Rev. 21 says that Satan that old serpent the great red dragon will fall out of heaven when he is cast out by the Arch Angel
Michael. But that has yet to happen. For it is in the revelation of John
It is not light from the sun. It is light , maybe the visible wavelength. I don't it consider it to be only positive energy. Maybe spiritual nourishment from the source of life



   
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
Nick M Nick M is offline
Smoke' em All
 Nick M's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlapalm View Post
It is not light from the sun. It is light , maybe the visible wavelength.
John 1

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.


14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.





Jesus saves completely.

Titus 1:10-11

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.climatedepot.com/
   
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
Letsargue Letsargue is offline
TOL Legend
 Letsargue's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Letsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markseasigh View Post
But is this light the light of the sun or the positive energy in the universe?
Maybe so?
where does Genesis talk about Space, Time and Darkness beginning at the moment Satan and those With him were expelled from Heaven? Rev. 21 says that Satan that old serpent the great red dragon will fall out of heaven when he is cast out by the Arch Angel
Michael. But that has yet to happen. For it is in the revelation of John

God the creator says that Jesus / the Savior is the Light, or that the Light is the Savior / Jesus. - Truth / Light / Savior is the first thing created. - Then the Word / Son, with the gift of interpretation, interpreted the Spirit of Truth into the Letter of the Word. Thus the Scriptures.

Paul -- 120412





---Gal. 4:16.
---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???
   
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
Preceptive Preceptive is offline
Journeyman

 


Reputation:
Preceptive will become famous soon enoughPreceptive will become famous soon enough
December 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM

What I don't understand is how noone has posted Genesis 1:1-3, and that all of these whack interpretations/extrabiblical opinions have surfaced instead.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
Letsargue Letsargue is offline
TOL Legend
 Letsargue's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Letsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preceptive View Post
What I don't understand is how noone has posted Genesis 1:1-3, and that all of these whack interpretations/extrabiblical opinions have surfaced instead.

Lack of the Knowledge of God!!

Paul -- 120412





---Gal. 4:16.
---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???
   
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
Letsargue Letsargue is offline
TOL Legend
 Letsargue's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Letsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peersLetsargue is well respected by his peers
December 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
What Was the First thing God Made?

light

everything else is a form of it

God's Light ONLY brought the Creation into visions, or inspirations of the creation.

Paul -- 120412





---Gal. 4:16.
---"Am I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth"???
   
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
Markseasigh Markseasigh is offline
Over 1000 post club

 


Reputation:
Markseasigh will become famous soon enoughMarkseasigh will become famous soon enoughMarkseasigh will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up December 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTestament View Post
I have learned a lot about Genesis, esp over the last 15 years, and have found it is a very deep book.
First notice that it never says God created the elements. It says:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
Thus, we find God moved his spirit on the waters of space stuff, and apparently organized it into the land, sea and sky.

Now about chapter 2, Mark.
It is very different as you have commented. This is because it is teaching the spiritual things of creation. So now we find in Gen 2:4 that the days of creation are the "generations of the earth, when it was created." We find God saying that the plants and living things were created b4 God placed them in the earth. We find the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life. Also the flaming sword or the word to lead Adam/man back to God. We know these weren't literal trees because we find the tree of life in Revelation. John said: "For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that whoso believeth on him, should not perish but have everlasting life." Jesus said He is the true vine tree. So a couple things about God's symbolism to consider. We also find that once Man ate of the tree of knowledge, God said, "now the man has become as one of us, to know good and evil." So in summation, we have the entire basic plan of salvation here in a nutshell.
Amen to that Friend!!!!
However I'm gonna have to go and disagree with you on only one of your points. The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil ( The Tree of Wisdom ) and The Tree of Life, are very real trees.
Probably with Fruit that contain Psychoactive chemicals.
But it was destroyed in the flood. I feel that somewhere out there there is another. maybe not on this plane but in another.
Same with the tree of life.
i mean there are a bunch of pot smokin hippies in California which say that pot is the tree of life or something; I disagree however. First it doesn't make you live forever. And its not a tree, its an herb bearing seed. Not a tree bearing fruit. 12 types of fruit under a 24 hour light cycle of endless light. That is not a pot plant.

So yeah i think that they are actual trees and when eve ate the tree of wisdom she ate a fruit containing psychoactive properties.
Because their psyche was changed before Lord asked "Who Told you you were naked?"



   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bacon, genesis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright ©1997-2014 TheologyOnLine



Logos Bible Study Software Up to 15% OFF FOR THEOLOGYONLINE MEMBERS! Study twice, post once.
Logos Bible Software —take your Bible study to the next level.