TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Favorite Quotations
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#1) Old
Look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
Favorite Quotations - February 25th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Have a favorite quotation?

Famous, infamous, obscure, secular, religious, ancient, modern. profound, pithy or humorous: post it here.

If you have context or commentary, feel free to add that too.

(#2) Old
Look at the stars

annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
annabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peersannabenedetti is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!
You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you.
In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.
You were with me, but I was not with you.
Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would have not been at all.
You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness.
You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness.
You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you.
I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.
You touched me, and I burned for your peace.

St. Augustine

(#3) Old
Look at the stars

February 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.

Mark Twain

(#4) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peers

“If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward.” ~ Jack Handy

(#5) Old
Look at the stars

Here was a man who had escaped from tradition and authority, who had entered into himself and looked out upon life through his own being and with his own eyes; and who in a direct and simple way, told us what he saw.

Kate Chopin, author 1850-1904

(#6) Old
Look at the stars

February 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
“If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward.” ~ Jack Handy

Your quotation nicely complements Twain's above it.

(#7) Old
Journeyman

Yves21 will become famous soon enoughYves21 will become famous soon enoughYves21 will become famous soon enough
February 25th, 2013, 08:33 AM

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -Voltaire

(#8) Old
~Peace if possible, but truth at any rate~

Angel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peers
Angel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 09:01 AM

"Tolerance is only another name for indifference" ~ William Somerset Maugham

"Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation" - BHO

2 Peter 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

(#9) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peersRusha is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 11:01 AM

"Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them." ~ Joshua Liebman

"Simple morality dictates that unless and until someone can prove the unborn human is not alive, we must give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it is (alive). And, thus, it should be entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." ~ Ronald Reagan 1982

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

(#10) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peers
resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

some really cool dude

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#11) Old
Over 2500 post club

Buzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peersBuzzword is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Sooo many.

"Someday, after we have mastered the air, the winds, the tides and gravity, we will harness for God the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”
-Albert Einstein

“You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.”
-Eric Hoffer

"The problem in this country today is that all elections have winners and losers, but in every election, the politicians always win, and all the rest of us always lose. Obviously, voting guarantees that one or another politician wins. It is a rigged game for sure, so all should stay home this election. There are so many better things to do in life than to vote for one or the other evil, especially when that evil will be your master! As I have said before, if no one voted, no one would be elected, and what a wonderful world that would be!"
-Gary Banett

“Our God and soldier we alike adore
- Just at the brink of ruin not before -
The danger past, both are alike requited;
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.”
Robert Maynard Hutchins

“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”
-Fred Rogers

“What an astonishing thing a book is. It’s a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you’re inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.”
-Carl Sagan

"Divide and conquer – that’s what they try to do to any group trying to make social change. Black people are supposed to turn against Puerto Ricans. Women are supposed to turn against their mothers and mothers-in-law. We’re all supposed to compete with each other for the favors of the ruling class."
-Florynce R. Kennedy

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's, and beware those who get one confused with the other.

“In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

(#12) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM

"Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to." - Mark Twain

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

(#13) Old
Look at the stars

February 25th, 2013, 06:56 PM

You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.

Eleanor Roosevelt

(#14) Old
TOL Legend

serpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusha View Post

What's new?
PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.

(#15) Old
TOL Legend

serpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peersserpentdove is well respected by his peers
February 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

What's new?
PlastikBuddah [aka Gamera] make-believer. Kmoney [aka Count Iblis] make-believer. Alate_One deceives students in the classroom. Arthur Brain wants answers. Eph 5:11

"Being a square keeps you from going around in circles." ~ J Vernon McGee Ro 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13.