TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion > Exclusively Christian Theology
Reload this Page ECT: Man is unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on his own
Exclusively Christian Theology This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Redeemed-777 Redeemed-777 is offline
Over 750 post club
 Redeemed-777's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Redeemed-777 will become famous soon enoughRedeemed-777 will become famous soon enoughRedeemed-777 will become famous soon enough
Man is unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on his own - February 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM


Man is unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on his own
because he is …


-- born with an inherited sin nature … many verses
-- spiritually dead in his sins … Ephesians 2:1-5, Colossians 2:13
-- a captive to the law of sin and death … Romans 8:2
-- a slave to sin, forced to obey evil … John 8:34, Romans 6:17-21, Titus 3:3
-- an enemy of God, hostile to God, opposed to God … Romans 8:7

-- spiritually blind and deaf … Matthew 13:13-15, John 9:39, John 12:39-40, Ephesians 4:18
-- unable to understand the things of God (they are foolishness) … 1 Corinthians 2:14
-- seeing the gospel as utter foolishness … 1 Corinthians 1:18
-- unable to believe the truth of the gospel because it is veiled … 2 Corinthians 4:3

-- blinded by Satan … Acts 26:18, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4
-- controlled (ruled) by Satan … John 12:31, 1 John 5:19, Acts 26:18, 2 Cor 10:4-5, Ephesians 2:2
-- deceived by Satan … Revelation 12:9, John 8:44, 2 Corinthians 11:14
-- a captive of Satan unto death … Hebrews 2:14-15, Luke 4:18

-- unable to be righteous by doing good works … Isaiah 64:6, Galatians 2:16, Titus 3:5
-- unable to be saved by his own desire or works … Romans 9:16, Ephesians 2:8-9
-- able to be saved only by the grace and mercy of God … Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:4-7
-- NOT allowed to choose ... God chooses only whomever He pleases … Romans 9:9-24

Therefore, man is totally at God’s mercy re: whether he/she goes to Heaven or Hell.





"For as many as are being LED by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." Romans 8:14
To gain salvation, a BAC must be willing to co-operate with the Holy Spirit in removing sin.
E.G. No BAC will be saved who has unforgiveness, or ANY unrepented-of habitual sin in his life.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Cross Reference Cross Reference is offline
TOL Legend
 Cross Reference's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Cross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticed
February 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM

More mixed up argument swimming around in a mind full of mush!



   
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
tderose tderose is offline
Trainee

 


Reputation:
tderose is an unknown quantity at this point
February 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Interesting. I don't think there is much debate that the Bible and the church believe that it is God who initiates the quest and supplies the energy and direction for the completion of the journey. I think, however, and I am not 100% convinced that man must submit. He can not be saved against his will.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
john w john w is offline
TOL Legend
 john w's Avatar

 



Reputation:
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Deuteronomy 30:19 KJV
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Calvinist/Clavinist version:


I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live, even though you poor drones that I created are unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on your own, and I, the LORD God, therefore, like above, am an idiot for even commanding you to do so, and including it in the book.





Saint John W
   
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
Redeemed-777 Redeemed-777 is offline
Over 750 post club
 Redeemed-777's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Redeemed-777 will become famous soon enoughRedeemed-777 will become famous soon enoughRedeemed-777 will become famous soon enough
February 26th, 2013, 03:56 PM


The #1 reason for the OT Law of Moses was ...

to PROVE to everyone that man is totally unable to satisfy God, i.e. to live free from sin,
and is therefore in dire need for something (or someone) to save him, die in his place, etc.!

News Flash! ... Man is born with an inherited sin nature ... and he MUST sin!





"For as many as are being LED by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." Romans 8:14
To gain salvation, a BAC must be willing to co-operate with the Holy Spirit in removing sin.
E.G. No BAC will be saved who has unforgiveness, or ANY unrepented-of habitual sin in his life.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
Cross Reference Cross Reference is offline
TOL Legend
 Cross Reference's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Cross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticedCross Reference has been getting noticed
February 26th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

The #1 reason for the OT Law of Moses was ...

to PROVE to everyone that man is totally unable to satisfy God, i.e. to live free from sin,
and is therefore in dire need for something (or someone) to save him, die in his place, etc.!

News Flash! ... Man is born with an inherited sin nature ... and he MUST sin!

NO HE MUST NOT! He doesn't have to sin. Many folk were righteous folk without any indwelling___like Abraham, who without any Truth INDWELLING him, obeyed God. He obeyed strictly from his human ability in doing so___and it was accounted to him as righteousness.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
john w john w is offline
TOL Legend
 john w's Avatar

 



Reputation:
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

The #1 reason for the OT Law of Moses was ...

to PROVE to everyone that man is totally unable to satisfy God, i.e. to live free from sin,
and is therefore in dire need for something (or someone) to save him, die in his place, etc.!

News Flash! ... Man is born with an inherited sin nature ... and he MUST sin!
That is not your argument, i.e., there is a difference between "no ability to choose, inability to choose," and "inability to satisfy God, i.e. to live free from sin,and is therefore in dire need for something (or someone) to save him, die in his place, etc.!"

You present a false dichotomy.





Saint John W
   
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
Desert Reign Desert Reign is offline
Gold level Subscriber
 Desert Reign's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

Man is unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on his own
because...

spiritual life (salvation) needs to exist in order for him to choose it; and it exists solely because of what Christ has done.

Also, there was one item not on your list:

Faith.

We are saved through faith.





Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
Nimrod: We don't have the manuscripts of where the KJV got the text.
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone

Last edited by Desert Reign; February 26th, 2013 at 05:14 PM..
   
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
God's Truth God's Truth is offline
BANNED

 


Reputation:
God's Truth will become famous soon enoughGod's Truth will become famous soon enough
February 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

Man is unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on his own
because he is …


-- born with an inherited sin nature … many verses
-- spiritually dead in his sins … Ephesians 2:1-5, Colossians 2:13
-- a captive to the law of sin and death … Romans 8:2
-- a slave to sin, forced to obey evil … John 8:34, Romans 6:17-21, Titus 3:3
-- an enemy of God, hostile to God, opposed to God … Romans 8:7

-- spiritually blind and deaf … Matthew 13:13-15, John 9:39, John 12:39-40, Ephesians 4:18
-- unable to understand the things of God (they are foolishness) … 1 Corinthians 2:14
-- seeing the gospel as utter foolishness … 1 Corinthians 1:18
-- unable to believe the truth of the gospel because it is veiled … 2 Corinthians 4:3

-- blinded by Satan … Acts 26:18, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4
-- controlled (ruled) by Satan … John 12:31, 1 John 5:19, Acts 26:18, 2 Cor 10:4-5, Ephesians 2:2
-- deceived by Satan … Revelation 12:9, John 8:44, 2 Corinthians 11:14
-- a captive of Satan unto death … Hebrews 2:14-15, Luke 4:18

-- unable to be righteous by doing good works … Isaiah 64:6, Galatians 2:16, Titus 3:5
-- unable to be saved by his own desire or works … Romans 9:16, Ephesians 2:8-9
-- able to be saved only by the grace and mercy of God … Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:4-7
-- NOT allowed to choose ... God chooses only whomever He pleases … Romans 9:9-24

Therefore, man is totally at God’s mercy re: whether he/she goes to Heaven or Hell.
NONE of those scriptures say we cannot believe in Jesus after learning of him; in fact, after learning of him is when and how we get faith.

Where does our faith come from? Our faith comes from HEARING the word, see Romans 10:17. From hearing the word and being TAUGHT, Colossians 1:5, 7. From continuing in what we have been CONVINCED of, see 2 Timothy 3:14, and being PERSUADED, 2 Corinthians 5:11.



   
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
Desert Reign Desert Reign is offline
Gold level Subscriber
 Desert Reign's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

The #1 reason for the OT Law of Moses was ...

to PROVE to everyone that man is totally unable to satisfy God,
I don't think you have a scripture reference to support you. However, it is explained by Paul that the law was a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. In other words it kept people in the right way and pointed to the righteousness that was to come by faith. (Gal 3:24)

So this does seem to contradict you.

And again, the law doesn't in fact prove to everyone that man is unable to satisfy God because the law only applied to the people of Israel. What Paul says about it is that keeping the law doesn't lead to righteousness. Which is not the same thing at all as proving that man is unable to satisfy God. Paul argues that Abraham was indeed able to satisfy God through his faith, as were many others.

So it seems that you are reading monsieur Calvin into the Bible. I suggest that you just quote Calvin rather than the Bible as that would save a lot of time and then we won't have to go through the tiresome and often antagonistic process of pointing out how you read into or otherwise distort the plain meaning of the scriptures. At least if we just discuss the writings of Calvin, we can have a civil discussion about what we all believe.





Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
Nimrod: We don't have the manuscripts of where the KJV got the text.
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone
   
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
Redeemed-777 Redeemed-777 is offline
Over 750 post club
 Redeemed-777's Avatar

 


Reputation:
Redeemed-777 will become famous soon enoughRedeemed-777 will become famous soon enoughRedeemed-777 will become famous soon enough
February 26th, 2013, 05:27 PM


Soaking Wet,

The Israelites were God’s chosen people, and were given every blessing, advantage, and etc.
They were man’s representatives … and they failed miserably.

IMO, some OT saints being obedient to God is rather different than believing in the “foolish” gospel.

You are invited to present your verses and I will show how people get saved via this formula …

preaching >> God's gift of faith is given >> spiritual revelation >> BELIEF >> turn to the Lord in faith >>
veil removed about many spiritual things





"For as many as are being LED by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." Romans 8:14
To gain salvation, a BAC must be willing to co-operate with the Holy Spirit in removing sin.
E.G. No BAC will be saved who has unforgiveness, or ANY unrepented-of habitual sin in his life.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
john w john w is offline
TOL Legend
 john w's Avatar

 



Reputation:
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Eph. 1 KJV

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Order:heard.... trust/believed.........sealed


Calvinist/Clavinist order:"zapped"(to be able to believe)/sealed......heard.....trust/believed





Saint John W
   
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
Desert Reign Desert Reign is offline
Gold level Subscriber
 Desert Reign's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

The Israelites were ... man’s representatives …


Reference? Or just something you made up? As I said, if this is something from Calvin, just say so.

Quote:
and they failed miserably.


At what? At being man's representatives?

At being God's chosen people? If so, then it was God who failed because all they needed to do to be chosen was - well - to be chosen.

Quote:
IMO, some OT saints being obedient to God is rather different than believing in the “foolish” gospel.
Thank you for giving your opinion about that. Which is an interesting discussion. Paul for example also stated that we who believe in Christ should have faith like that of the ancients. (Heb 11:2; Heb 11:16)


Quote:
You are invited to present your verses and I will show how people get saved via this formula …
People aren't saved by a formula.

Quote:
preaching >> God's gift of faith is given >> spiritual revelation >> BELIEF >> turn to the Lord in faith >>
veil removed about many spiritual things
I suspect you missed out the first steps in the formula:
God predestines certain individuals to salvation >> God causes certain people to preach to said individuals >> God gives faith to said individuals, etc.

That's right isn't it?





Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
Nimrod: We don't have the manuscripts of where the KJV got the text.
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone
   
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
genuineoriginal genuineoriginal is offline
TOL Subscriber
 genuineoriginal's Avatar

 


Reputation:
genuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peersgenuineoriginal is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post

The #1 reason for the OT Law of Moses was ...

to PROVE to everyone that man is totally unable to satisfy God, i.e. to live free from sin,
Why do you think God hated His chosen people that much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed-777 View Post
The Israelites were God’s chosen people, and were given every blessing, advantage, and etc.
They were man’s representatives … and they failed miserably.
If God chose them to be damned to hell by giving them the law in order to prove that man is totally unable to satisfy God, then they succeeded, didn't they?





Learn to read what is written.
   
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
Desert Reign Desert Reign is offline
Gold level Subscriber
 Desert Reign's Avatar

 



Reputation:
Desert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peersDesert Reign is well respected by his peers
February 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM

In fact R777, let me ask you a question.

I wrote

Quote:
God predestines certain individuals to salvation >> God causes certain people to preach to said individuals >> God gives faith to said individuals, etc.
If this is so (I assume that is what you believe or something close to it), then why doesn't God just give these chosen individuals the faith directly; why doesn't he just save them instantly?

I will give you my hypothetical answer to this question.

My answer is that God did it this way in order to give people the impression that they were freely choosing for him themselves and to actually conceal the fact that it was really not their faith in him at all that was instrumental in their being saved but his own predetermined choice that was behind it all.

My question to you is this: would you blame me for holding such an opinion?

If you would, then can you give me a better reason why God would do all that when he could have done it more simply?

If you wouldn't, then how would you justify what God has done?





Total Misanthropy.
Uncertain salvation.
Luck of the draw.
Irresistible damnation.
Persecution of the saints.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
(The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Bright Raven:
"It makes no difference what is said."
Nimrod: We don't have the manuscripts of where the KJV got the text.
AcultureWarrior: It really doesn't matter what I think,
Jason: I don't care what kind of fact I got wrong.
B57: the Lord does not Love everyone, nor is it His purpose to save everyone
   
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright ©1997-2012 TheologyOnLine



Logos Bible Study Software Up to 15% OFF FOR THEOLOGYONLINE MEMBERS! Study twice, post once.
Logos Bible Software —take your Bible study to the next level.