TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Observations thread of TH
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#1) Old
Let's roll!

Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
Observations thread of TH - February 28th, 2013, 10:25 PM

TH, you need to permanently close your thread and start a blog instead.
Cause that's all it is now, a blog.

This is supposed to be a discussion forum.
And for you to keep closing it, where there can be no discussion in it, is getting a bit silly.

(#2) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
February 28th, 2013, 10:28 PM

he's just a silly sort of guy

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#3) Old
Over 1000 post club

Uberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputationUberpod1 has a large reputation
February 28th, 2013, 10:49 PM

Knight could also just close the forum.

SOD and Knight are one and the same! .

(#4) Old
BANNED

xAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peers
February 28th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Which thread are you referring to?

(#5) Old
You what?

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
February 28th, 2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
TH, you need to permanently close your thread and start a blog instead.
Well, no. Why would I do that? It's a relatively popular thread, drawing in between three to five thousand hits in a given month. Things are a little slow but it's on pace for the floor in a month where I took a chunk of time off and the thread has been closed for almost all of it.

Most of the people who visit it come to read the summaries and follow links to threads they might not have bumped into else. It's still serving that function.

Quote:
Cause that's all it is now, a blog.
It's always had stretches like that since its creation. Even though it's mostly been unlocked in its relatively long life. I've put up a little less than half the thread count...though a large number of the other posts have been one offs. The regular other contributors who weren't spammers and are still around haven't complained and understand the point.

That said I've been meaning to open it up again. But there was an element who'd taken to spamming it and, well, I wasn't going to let that happen and didn't feel like laying on the reporting button every day or so.

Quote:
This is supposed to be a discussion forum.
It's any number of things. Observations has never been much of a discussion forum. I initially created it so people could post things that interested them without being harassed by "off topic" charges, which were a big deal when I started it...it quickly turned into me doing one offs and edited revisits and has mostly been that for a long, long while.

How many times did you discuss something in Observations? Six or seven times I think.

Quote:
And for you to keep closing it, where there can be no discussion in it, is getting a bit silly.
I actually got requests from people who read it regularly to close it because of the sort of activity that went on while I was out and after I returned.

It's easier not to do it. I'll likely open it up again before long. There's no real reason not to with things having calmed down of late.

(#6) Old
Let's roll!

Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
Tambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peersTambora is well respected by his peers
February 28th, 2013, 11:58 PM

This site offers blog space where you can control what is posted, and delete any disruptive comments.
That seems to be exactly what you want to do in your thread.
And everyone that enjoys reading your daily activity can still view it in a blog.

This forum is supposed to be for creating threads for discussion.

(#7) Old
You what?

Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
Town Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peersTown Heretic is well respected by his peers
March 1st, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
This site offers blog space where you can control what is posted, and delete any disruptive comments.
I know. I've used it. A few of us did for a bit. It didn't really catch on.

Quote:
No, it really doesn't if you read through it and my previous answer. The lock down, a rarity in the history of the thread, which is why my posts account for less than half the content, was spurred by the conduct of some individuals and in part at the request of some of the regulars.

Quote:
And everyone that enjoys reading your daily activity can still view it in a blog.
And everyone who doesn't can ignore it, like they can ignore Observations, which isn't a blog and hasn't been run like one. I explained the temporary lock down. You aren't being responsive. It's like you have this narrow anecdotal idea and you're almost holding it with a degree of aggressiveness against a gentle enough reproof and explanation on point of fact.

Quote:
I do a fair share of that. Open or closed Observations isn't really about that and never was. That's partly set out in the OP.

(#8) Old
TOL Subscriber

resurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peersresurrected is well respected by his peers
March 1st, 2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:

He doesn't like the fact that I post in there, even if it's not to him or about him.

I was responding to bybee, Town reported it as "trolling the thread to provoke a response" and it went from there.

He's a silly little mess, isn't he?

and he absolutely can not stand being talked about

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you

(#9) Old
Let's roll!

March 1st, 2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
He doesn't like the fact that I post in there, even if it's not to him or about him.

I was responding to bybee, Town reported it as "trolling the thread to provoke a response" and it went from there.

He's a silly little mess, isn't he?

and he absolutely can not stand being talked about
Oh, stop.

You like to make jabs and jokes at TH all the time, no matter what thread it is.

But TH isn't so innocent either.
He'll make a comment about you in his observation thread, and then close the thread.

(#10) Old
~Peace if possible, but truth at any rate~

Angel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peers
Angel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peersAngel4Truth is well respected by his peers
March 1st, 2013, 12:46 AM

Why do you keep closing it though if its actually a discussion thread? We are all on at different times of the day and night, and maybe someone might want to respond but cannot?

Can a post not be removed by a moderator if someone starts trolling in it or harassing you there?

In a blog though, you can remove comments if they are left and you dont want them or like them and people can still comment but be unable to ruin your thoughts since they cannot post into your blog part.

"Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation" - BHO

2 Peter 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

(#11) Old
Smoke' em All

Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
Nick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peersNick M is well respected by his peers
March 1st, 2013, 12:58 AM

Don't expect a hypocrite lawyer to do what is right.

Jesus saves completely.

Titus 1:10-11

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.climatedepot.com/

(#12) Old
You what?

March 1st, 2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Don't expect a hypocrite lawyer to do what is right.
You're better at football. There you appear to know what you're talking about now and again. I'm neither a hypocrite nor a practicing attorney, so that's two for two.

I was wondering why you never seemed to follow baseball.

(#13) Old
You what?

March 1st, 2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
Why do you keep closing it though if its actually a discussion thread?
I mostly don't and mostly haven't. I explained why this particular closing was put in place. There are rules against stalking and spamming but they aren't frequently applied where there's an ongoing between parties. So, again, I could lay on the report button or lock the thread until things calmed down. I chose the latter after I got a nudge or two requesting I keep a certain crowd from spamming up the thread. Given a number of people read it for something other than that I felt obliged to agree.

Quote:
We are all on at different times of the day and night, and maybe someone might want to respond but cannot?
I didn't say I was happy about it and it was never intended to be permanent.

Quote:
Can a post not be removed by a moderator if someone starts trolling in it or harassing you there?
I've never seen it done, even on posts by Sod or meshak, both of whom did that here and there in Observations and both of whom were sent to the penalty box and/or warned off.

Quote:
In a blog though, you can remove comments if they are left and you dont want them or like them and people can still comment but be unable to ruin your thoughts since they cannot post into your blog part.
I know. If I wanted a blog I'd have started one. If you read my two posts to Tam I think I've covered all of this.

(#14) Old
You what?

March 1st, 2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Oh, stop.

You like to make jabs and jokes at TH all the time, no matter what thread it is.
If he's honest he'll tell you that I've rep'd him more than once for comments made in keeping with the spirit of the thread. When he's just trying to cover posts with one line nothings or having a PM conversation that is off the OP's aim and aimed at irking me it's another matter.

Quote:
But TH isn't so innocent either.
He'll make a comment about you in his observation thread, and then close the thread.
I did that when I didn't close it. The difference is that any repost in Observations is linked to the live goings on in the post where the action is. Unless a post has been closed so I can't link to it that's the rule with me.

And I've had conversations about posts inside Observations too. Look back and you'll find one with rainee not too long ago.

(#15) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 1st, 2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Oh, stop.

I sure do!

Him and about two dozen other posters here.

Although most of them don't act like whiny crybabies without an ounce of self control when I do.

Tags
call-out thread