TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > . . . and The Rest
Reload this Page Favorite Contemporary Musicians
. . . and The Rest Discuss just about anything besides Politics and Religion! Discuss sports, pop culture, computers, videogames, welcome new members, wish someone a happy birthday. Or just chit chat!

(#1) Old
Over 6000 post club

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
Favorite Contemporary Musicians - March 4th, 2013, 01:08 PM

Who are your favorite contemporary musicians?

For the purpose of this thread, lets say contemporary music starts with musicians that appeared from 1980 on, possibly less a couple years.

My favorite solo artist is Taylor Swift.

My favorite band is Train.

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#2) Old
Star*Lord of the Spartax Empire

Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Flyleaf and Third Day are my top two.

(#3) Old
Silver Member

PureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM

My top two artists would be Steve Earle and Patty Griffin. Both are fantastic songwriters, while Steve is an exceptional arranger, and Patty is an amazing singer, as well.

I'm not that interested in groups or bands that much, now days, but a couple favorites I like to listen to are the Be Good Tanyas and the Neville Brothers.

(#4) Old
Over 6000 post club

Quincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peersQuincy is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Are they contemporary PureX? I've never heard of them

Nice choices Lighthouse!

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything. - Alan Watts

(#5) Old
Star*Lord of the Spartax Empire

Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
Lighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peersLighthouse is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Nice choices Lighthouse!
Thank you.

I saw Taylor Swift on Graham Norton the other night. I watched because Saoirse Ronan was on.

(#6) Old
TOL Subscriber

student x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM

I'll stay in the Rock genre, my fav contemporary musicians are Progressive Rockers Dream Theater, Pink Floyd & Joe Satriani (soloist)

(#7) Old
Over 6000 post club

March 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Thank you.

I saw Taylor Swift on Graham Norton the other night. I watched because Saoirse Ronan was on.
I've watched some Flyleaf live on Youtube. It's pretty good stuff, I watch a lot of Taylor on it too. I think she does a good live show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by student x View Post
I'll stay in the Rock genre, my fav contemporary musicians are Progressive Rockers Dream Theater, Pink Floyd & Joe Satriani (soloist)
Ah yes, Dream Theatre. Great band, though I'm not so much into rock anymore I love some of their stuff. I like how Portnoy filled in with Avenged Sevenfold after they lost their original drummer.

(#8) Old
Silver Member

PureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peersPureX is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Are they contemporary PureX? I've never heard of them
They are all current.

I'm not sure if the Be Good Tanyas are still together, Frazee Ford seems to be doing her own thing these days. The Neville Bros. have been around forever. A fantastic band from New Orleans.

I assume you know of Steve Earle and Patty Griffin.

(#9) Old
Over 6000 post club

March 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM

I know of Steve Earle yea, but I'm afraid I couldn't name a song. I may have to head to youtube and check his music out. Don't know Patty Griffin though.

(#10) Old
Token Aussie

Thunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peers
Thunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Alanis Morissette
Foo Fighters
Nirvana
John Butler Trio
Tori Amos
k.d. lang
Gossip
Paramore
Pink
Florence and the Machine
Coldplay
Sia
Newton Falkner
Ed Sheeran
Mumford and Sons

(#11) Old
Over 6000 post club

March 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhh I love Florence and the Machine, Thunder's. That is a great act. I'm off to listen to them now .

(#12) Old
Token Aussie

Thunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peers
Thunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peersThunder's Muse is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhh I love Florence and the Machine, Thunder's. That is a great act. I'm off to listen to them now .

Yeah..it's her voice that gets me...just amazing!

(#13) Old
The Flying Ban Hammer ✈

Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
Inzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peersInzl Kett is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Dino Kartsonakis
Phil Keaggy
Andy Hunter
Richard Souther
Maurice Skylar

(#14) Old
Silver Member

March 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I know of Steve Earle yea, but I'm afraid I couldn't name a song. I may have to head to youtube and check his music out. Don't know Patty Griffin though.
Oh, please allow me!

Be Good Tanyas - "Sleep Dog Lullaby"

Neville Brothers - "Congo Square"

Steve Earle - "Waitin' On The Sky"

Patty Griffin - "Oh Heavenly Day"

Last edited by PureX; March 5th, 2013 at 07:27 AM..

(#15) Old
Over 3000 post club

Memento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peersMemento Mori is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 05:07 PM

Dredg has been on the top of my list except for their most recent album. I'm actually rockin' my Shins T-shirt right now. The Academy Is... has been there too but I haven't heard anything from them lately.

Calvin: (after a long pause) I canít tell if thatís funny or really scary.
Anti-Death

2024 Life by Delmar: Homosexuality legal in all states; Government healthcare with abortion; Outlawing Bible by broadcast by hate crime laws