TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion > Exclusively Christian Theology
Reload this Page ECT: The Five Solas
Exclusively Christian Theology This forum is exclusively for those who consider themselves Christian and consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God.

(#1) Old
TOL Subscriber

Nang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peers
The Five Solas - March 4th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Being a Calvinist, it appears some might think that I place my trust for salvation in the doctrine of Election.

I hold to the teaching of Unconditional Election as being God's eternal decree to save a people, by His grace and power, in and through the righteous works of the Son, Jesus Christ, alone.

"Alone" signifying "solely."

There are five of these "alones" or "solas" that we Reformers believe for assurance of salvation, and they are:

SOLA GRATIA: Sinners are saved by the grace of God, alone, and not by works.

SOLA FIDE: Sinners are justified before God by faith, alone.

SOLUS CHRISTUS: Saving faith is trusting in the righteous works of Jesus Christ, alone.

SOLA SCRIPTURE: Sinners are gifted with saving faith by hearing (or reading) the word of God, alone.

SOLI DEO GLORIA: All of the above gospel truths, work to the glory of God, alone.

"The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

"Experience teaches us nothing; revelation teaches all we need to know."

“ Those who proclaim that the sovereignty of God determines what justice is, (do so) by observing what God actually does. Whatever God does is just.”

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#2) Old
Over 2000 post club

ttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticed
March 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nang View Post
Being a Calvinist, it appears some might think that I place my trust for salvation in the doctrine of Election.

I hold to the teaching of Unconditional Election as being God's eternal decree to save a people, by His grace and power, in and through the righteous works of the Son, Jesus Christ, alone.

There are five of these "alones" or "solas" that we Reformers believe for assurance of salvation, and they are:

SOLUS CHRISTUS: Saving faith is trusting in the righteous works of Jesus Christ, alone.

SOLA SCRIPTURE: Sinners are gifted with saving faith by hearing (or reading) the word of God, alone.

SOLI DEO GLORIA: All of the above gospel truths, work to the glory of God, alone.
I think this is very excellent and put my faith in them too. The doctrine of election says nothing about how salvation is worked out in our hearts like these do. It merely says who will receive all the manifestations of grace outlined here. <shrug>

Peace, Ted

Champion of:

GOD’s holiness:
- GOD did not need evil to fulfill HIS plan and did not create evil for any reason.

- All evil is creature-created by their true free will.

Our Free will:
- All spirits created in the image of GOD were created with the ability to make true free will decisions.

(#3) Old
Over 750 post club

March 4th, 2013, 03:52 PM

I am in full agreement

(#4) Old
TOL Legend

The Barbarian is well respected by his peers
The Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peersThe Barbarian is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 03:58 PM

James 2:24

24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

And that's part of the scripture you claim to be the sole source of authority. But Paul shows that to be wrong, as well.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

So, sola scriptura is out; scripture says it isn't the sole source of authority.

So, we've got some fixing to do.

God bless us, every one.
"Or, the less the supportive data and the more declaration the greater the likelihood of horsefeathers." -TH

(#5) Old
TOL Subscriber

Nang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
James 2:24

24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

And that's part of the scripture you claim to be the sole source of authority. But Paul shows that to be wrong, as well.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

So, sola scriptura is out; scripture says it isn't the sole source of authority.

So, we've got some fixing to do.
No, you just have some learning to do!

"The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

“ Those who proclaim that the sovereignty of God determines what justice is, (do so) by observing what God actually does. Whatever God does is just.”

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#6) Old
TOL Subscriber

student x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peersstudent x is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Thank you sister. I agree

(#7) Old
TOL Legend

john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 05:29 PM

"There are five of these 'alones' or 'solas'..."-Nang

You missed one:

Saint John W

(#8) Old
Gold level Subscriber

bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
bybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peersbybee is well respected by his peers
Question March 4th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john w View Post

You missed one:

Nang is speaking in good faith sharing her foundation beliefs. I cannot find error in them.
I don't think it is in good faith to make fun of someone's sincere attempt to share.
She is not saying that one ought to believe as she believes.

(#9) Old
TOL Legend

john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
john w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peersjohn w is well respected by his peers
March 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybee View Post
Nang is speaking in good faith sharing her foundation beliefs. I cannot find error in them.
I don't think it is in good faith to make fun of someone's sincere attempt to share.
Translated: I, bee of by, and many/most members of the body of Christ, take myself/themselves too seriously. Lighten up.

Here is a Clavinist/Calvinist drinking solo:

Saint John W

(#10) Old
Old Timer

faramir77 will become famous soon enoughfaramir77 will become famous soon enoughfaramir77 will become famous soon enoughfaramir77 will become famous soon enoughfaramir77 will become famous soon enough
March 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM

Earlie Protestant Reformers where the amazing men ever that existited.

these guys came from NOTHING, and became something amazing.

Juxtaposed to Universal Kirk'ish dinks, who had all at their disposal, and yet, accomplished little.

_And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:\ - 1Corint2

Remain In Light.

(#11) Old
Over 750 post club

March 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybee View Post
That's just john w being john w

He is quite a witty guy ... I have to admit to a little chuckle at his wit

And i am full bore manic Calvinist to the marrow of my bones.

I will post a response to john w

(#12) Old
Over 750 post club

March 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

You missed one:

What about the agents from C . H . A . O . S

(#13) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Translated: I, bee of by, and many/most members of the body of Christ, take myself/themselves too seriously. Lighten up.

Here is a Clavinist/Calvinist drinking solo:

That's no Clavinist, or he would have a beer in each fist!

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#14) Old
Over 750 post club

March 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
That's no Clavinist, or he would have a beer in each fist!

Cheers nang....I will share a Lager with you.

(#15) Old
TOL Subscriber

March 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Cheers nang....I will share a Lager with you.
YESSIR!

And I will even let you pay the tab . . .

. . . Gordon H. Clark