TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Anyone familiar with Manichaeism?
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
Journeyman

Lynn Acker will become famous soon enoughLynn Acker will become famous soon enough
Anyone familiar with Manichaeism? - August 20th, 2013, 12:07 AM

I've been studying Manichaeism for some time now and I came across manichaean.org which claims to be the reorganized church established by the prophet Mani. Upon visiting their site I find they have a book of scripture titled the Holy Book of Light. Does anyone have any information about what this book contains? I've found no free version other than the $47 one available for purchase. I'm wondering if it has only the works of their current leader or if it is a compilation of ancient works. And does anyone know what the legitimacy of the current church is so far as its establishment?

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." — Isaiah 45:7

(#2) Old
TOL Subscriber

Grosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peers
Grosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peersGrosnick Marowbe is well respected by his peers
August 20th, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Acker View Post
I've been studying Manichaeism for some time now and I came across manichaean.org which claims to be the reorganized church established by the prophet Mani. Upon visiting their site I find they have a book of scripture titled the Holy Book of Light. Does anyone have any information about what this book contains? I've found no free version other than the $47 one available for purchase. I'm wondering if it has only the works of their current leader or if it is a compilation of ancient works. And does anyone know what the legitimacy of the current church is so far as its establishment?
You might wanna get in contact with Michael Cadry, he's on this
forum late at night! He'll get you up to speed on the mysteries
of the cosmos and other related points of interest!! Although
he's mad as a hatter, he's a fairly nice fella!

Last edited by Grosnick Marowbe; August 20th, 2013 at 01:21 AM..

(#3) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
Stripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peersStripe is well respected by his peers
August 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM

You should invest $20 here and leave the cults alone.

Where is the evidence for a global flood?
Why do my eyes hurt?
You've never used them.

"...the waters under the "expanse" were under the crust."
-Bob B.

Nominate POTYs. See this thread.

(#4) Old
Gold level Subscriber

csuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peers
csuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peerscsuguy is well respected by his peers
August 20th, 2013, 03:34 AM

I suggest reading the works of Augustin on the matter; The Church Father Augustin was at one point a Manichean before becoming a Christian. He is supposed to have written quite a bit on it.

If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

(#5) Old
Journeyman

Heterodoxus will become famous soon enoughHeterodoxus will become famous soon enoughHeterodoxus will become famous soon enoughHeterodoxus will become famous soon enough
August 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
... the Holy Book of Light. Does anyone have any information about what this book contains?
Perhaps a definition of Manichaeanism will give you some personal insight into what the so-called Holy Book of Light teaches?
Quote:
Manichaeanism: a religion founded by Manes in the third century [is] a synthesis of Zoroastrian dualism between light and dark, Babylonian folklore, Buddhist ethics, and superficial elements of Christianity [that] spread widely in the Roman Empire but had largely died out by 1000 (Word Web Dictionary)
Quote:
... does anyone know what the legitimacy of the current church is so far as its establishment?
The legitimacy of the modern Manichaean church is argumentative in that an answer to this question would likely depend on who you ask.

(#6) Old
Journeyman

Lynn Acker will become famous soon enoughLynn Acker will become famous soon enough
August 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM

I am not interested in Manichaeism for any reason other than exploring it as a hobby, like learning Roman history etc. I am fairly knowledgable in many aspects of Manichaeism but I can't find too much info about this church. It does appear to be a cult of some kind but perhaps they'd have some info to further my study of the religion.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." — Isaiah 45:7

(#7) Old
TOL Legend

Nang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peersNang is well respected by his peers
August 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Exploring spiritual darkness and ungodly religions can hardly be called a "hobby!"

I call it a waste of time at best, and extremely dangerous at worst.

Nang

"The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

"Experience teaches us nothing; revelation teaches all we need to know."

“ Those who proclaim that the sovereignty of God determines what justice is, (do so) by observing what God actually does. Whatever God does is just.”

. . . Gordon H. Clark

(#8) Old
Over 4000 post club

Spitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peers
Spitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peersSpitfire is well respected by his peers
August 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM

I wonder if it is in part the lasting imprint of Manicheanism when Christians erroneously understand God and Satan to be equally powerful cosmic forces locked in an eternal battle for supremacy.

"So as not to exchange one evil for another, this poor land must be saved from the scourge of friend and foe alike." - Friedrich Schiller

Posting ability officially rated "pretty good" by Delmar.

Last edited by Spitfire; August 21st, 2013 at 08:32 AM..

(#9) Old
Over 2000 post club

ttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticed
August 21st, 2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I wonder if it is in part the lasting imprint of Manicheanism when Christians erroneously understand God and Satan to be equally powerful cosmic forces locked in an eternal battle for supremacy.
I agree it is an error to see it this way...

Satan was defeated and fell like lightning on HIS way to the lower parts of sheol. He is allowed to do his thing because of the needs of the sinful elect, the good seed of Matt 13:27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “ ‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “ ‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest.

The judgment was postponed, NOT because satan was so powerful but because the sin of the elect on earth made them susceptible to damnation until the harvest.

The harvest does not denote a 'time' per se but rather it denotes the maturity of the wheat, and the only maturity that can save a sinner from damnation is maturity into holiness, the perfect outcome of redemption, repentance and sanctification.

The devil and his seed cannot be pulled up - judged - because the good seed are susceptible to being destroyed in that same judgment. Their sin is the cause of the postponement, not his power.

There is no eternal gnostic struggle between light and dark; Christ's work on the cross ended that...

What we have on earth is sheep gone astray into the flesh pots of the goats, the seed of the evil one sown into the world by the devil as per Matt 13:37 He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil., to keep the sheep in their sins to keep the postponement ongoing. But it will end when the last sheep is returned to his/her master.

Peace, Ted

Champion of:

GOD’s holiness:
- GOD did not need evil to fulfill HIS plan and did not create evil for any reason.

- All evil is creature-created by their true free will.

Our Free will:
- All spirits created in the image of GOD were created with the ability to make true free will decisions.

(#10) Old
Over 2000 post club

ttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticedttruscott has been getting noticed
August 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I am not interested in Manichaeism for any reason other than exploring it as a hobby, like learning Roman history etc. I am fairly knowledgable in many aspects of Manichaeism but I can't find too much info about this church. It does appear to be a cult of some kind but perhaps they'd have some info to further my study of the religion.
Manicheanism is Iranian gnosticism, not Roman, I believe.

peace, Ted

Champion of:

GOD’s holiness:
- GOD did not need evil to fulfill HIS plan and did not create evil for any reason.

- All evil is creature-created by their true free will.

Our Free will:
- All spirits created in the image of GOD were created with the ability to make true free will decisions.