TheologyOnline, religion, politics, forum
Go Back   Theology Online | Christian Forums & More > Politics, Religion, And The Rest > Religion
Reload this Page Leo Tolstoy: What I Believe
Religion Discuss General Theology, Religions and Denominations, God's Attributes, Predestination and Free Will, Dispensationalism, Eschatology, Philosophy, Origins, Archaeology, Science, World History and other such topics.

(#1) Old
"Just one more thing ..."

Doormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peers
Leo Tolstoy: What I Believe - October 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM

A few weeks ago I picked up a free Kindle edition of Leo Tolstoy's book The Kingdom of God is Within You. In the first chapters of the book, Tolstoy continually makes reference to another book he wrote previously, a book that was censored by the Russian government at the time. I felt that I could not fully appreciate what I was reading until I had read that censored book. The title of that book is What I believe, and I was able to find the free audio-book version on YouTube (posted below). I recently finished listening to it and am starting this discussion thread for whoever might have read it or will read (or listen to) it in the coming weeks.
Tolstoy - What I Believe

So they took him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard.

(#2) Old

Eeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peers
October 21st, 2013, 02:27 PM

Wow that is an 8 hour reading. I have started listening.

(#3) Old
BANNED

xAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peersxAvarice is well respected by his peers
October 21st, 2013, 02:51 PM

This is a great idea.

Amusing how we've gone from a religious book censoring Russia to a blasphemy law enforcing one.

(#4) Old

Doormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peersDoormat is well respected by his peers
October 21st, 2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
Wow that is an 8 hour reading. I have started listening.
I listened to it over a period of days, a chapter or so at a time.

(#5) Old
broken

Brother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peersBrother Vinny is well respected by his peers
October 21st, 2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAvarice View Post
This is a great idea.

Amusing how we've gone from a religious book censoring Russia to a blasphemy law enforcing one.
In under thirty years we've seen Russia go from boogeyman to having the arguably most intelligent leader on the world stage.

If all you have is a decision for Christ, and no delight in Christ, you don't have Christ. -- John Piper

(#6) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

meshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputation
October 21st, 2013, 02:55 PM

I was listening for a while and stopped. thank you for reminder. It is interesting.

blessings.

(#7) Old
Rookie

October 21st, 2013, 10:49 PM

Started it and loving it...............heads up from me at least,thank you.

(#8) Old
LIFETIME MEMBER

meshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputationmeshak has a large reputation
October 21st, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie17 View Post
Yes, Tostoy questioned the organizational Trinitarian church.

I don't think main streamers like it.

(#9) Old

Eeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peersEeset is well respected by his peers
October 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM

Thank you again Doormat for the link to the audio version of Tolstoy's book. It is an 8 hour listen and I have now completed hearing it. The person doing the reading speaks distinctly but slowly and I suspect that I could have read the book in half the time. Yet it was very enjoyable and perhaps the slowness of speech actually facilitated greater understanding.

In the book Tolstoy sets forth 5 commandments of Christ and in elucidating them also demonstrates how the organized churches have turned the teachings of Jesus upside down. He does this quite eloquently with many quotes not only of Scripture but also references to various translations and points out where words have been inserted in many versions of the Bible that were not in earlier versions. I was impressed with his depth of knowledge and obvious research.

I strongly recommend spending the 8 hours required to hear him out. While you may disagree with some specifics I think you will find fresh insights into the actual teachings of Jesus.

(#10) Old

October 22nd, 2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie17 View Post

(#11) Old
BANNED

God's Truth has been getting noticedGod's Truth has been getting noticedGod's Truth has been getting noticedGod's Truth has been getting noticedGod's Truth has been getting noticedGod's Truth has been getting noticed
October 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM

I do not understand what is so hard. To the one who gets Jesus' teachings and obeys them, he will reveal himself.

See John 14:21 NET.

(#12) Old
TOL Subscriber

Levolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputation
October 22nd, 2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormat View Post
A few weeks ago I picked up a free Kindle edition of Leo Tolstoy's book The Kingdom of God is Within You. In the first chapters of the book, Tolstoy continually makes reference to another book he wrote previously, a book that was censored by the Russian government at the time. I felt that I could not fully appreciate what I was reading until I had read that censored book. The title of that book is What I believe, and I was able to find the free audio-book version on YouTube (posted below). I recently finished listening to it and am starting this discussion thread for whoever might have read it or will read (or listen to) it in the coming weeks.
Tolstoy - What I Believe
I listened to the first hour. There were so many conclusions made that ignored much of the bible that I couldn't continue.

Too bad too; I had appreciated his view of Baha-u-llah... founder of Baha'i, and thought I would find a lot of agreement with Tolstoy.

(#13) Old

October 22nd, 2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levolor View Post
I listened to the first hour. There were so many conclusions made that ignored much of the bible that I couldn't continue.
Could you give an example?

(#14) Old
TOL Subscriber

Levolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputationLevolor has a large reputation
October 22nd, 2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormat View Post
Can you give an example?
Oh my... I've slept since then.

LOL, I may have to listen again to be able to tell you!

(#15) Old

October 22nd, 2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
I do not understand what is so hard. To the one who gets Jesus' teachings and obeys them, he will reveal himself.
I believe Tolstoy would agree with you.