Atheists believe....?

6days

Which statement is most true?
1. Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of God. (And generally, they believe that life came from non life)

2. Atheists don't have to and usually don't believe when they don't know the fact.*

commonsense

My answer is that many atheists have an active belief system.... not just the absence of belief.

Atheists generally see no logical reason to believe in god. I also see no logical reason to believe in leprechauns. Its not like I have an active disbelief in leprechauns.

alwight

Which statement is most true?
1. Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of God. (And generally, they believe that life came from non life)

2. Atheists don't have to and usually don't believe when they don't know the fact.*
1, Atheists disbelieve in all gods, they are not required to believe that they know gods don't exist.
There is no requirement to have any opinion on how life began.
The premise is false.

2, To not know does not compel any particular belief either theistic or atheistic so this is also a false premise since it doesn't just apply to atheists.

6days

commonsense said:
Atheists generally see no logical reason to believe in god. I also see no logical reason to believe in leprechauns. Its not like I have an active disbelief in leprechauns.
However, you seem interested in promoting and defending your 'beliefs'.* It seems hard to deny that many atheists have a somewhat evangelical zeal trying to convince others they are correct. *Books, magazines and websites provide assistance and encouragement to the like minded. There are atheist conferences. There are local chapters of atheists who hold regular meetings. ....

... That seems quite different than the lack of belief in leprochauns you compared it to.

commonsense

However, you seem interested in promoting and defending your 'beliefs'.* It seems hard to deny that many atheists have a somewhat evangelical zeal trying to convince others they are correct. *Books, magazines and websites provide assistance and encouragement to the like minded. There are atheist conferences. There are local chapters of atheists who hold regular meetings. ....

... That seems quite different than the lack of beluef in leprochauns you compared it to.

Incorrect. I'm not promoting or defending my 'beliefs' at all. I'm responding to your OP where you claim atheists have an active disbelief in god. I'm saying many atheists have no more belief or disbelief in god than when considering the existence of leprechauns. It's not even considered.
That said, I'm sure there are plenty of pushy nutbar atheists out there just as there are many Christian nutbars. I mean read the posts on TOL for a day.

commonsense

That's an active disbelief in leprechauns.

Although Hoss wasn't the brightest Cartwright, perhaps you 'could' say I have an active disbelief in leprechauns. But it's still really more like a non-consideration....like disregarding the possibility of the sun rising in the west tomorrow morning. Do you have an active disbelief in the sun rising in the west tomorrow morning or is it simply something you don't even need to consider? Like belief in Yhwh....:confused:

glorydaz

Incorrect. I'm not promoting or defending my 'beliefs' at all. I'm responding to your OP where you claim atheists have an active disbelief in god. I'm saying many atheists have no more belief or disbelief in god than when considering the existence of leprechauns. It's not even considered.
That said, I'm sure there are plenty of pushy nutbar atheists out there just as there are many Christian nutbars. I mean read the posts on TOL for a day.

You do have an active disbelief in God, because you were created with the knowledge of God IN YOU. You did believe until you consciously decided He wasn't doing what you wanted Him to be doing. So now you deny Him, and refuse to come to Him for the Gift He has freely offered to all men.

commonsense

You do have an active disbelief in God, because you were created with the knowledge of God IN YOU. You did believe until you consciously decided He wasn't doing what you wanted Him to be doing. So now you deny Him, and refuse to come to Him for the Gift He has freely offered to all men.

Jonahdog has an excellent point-"Interesting. Is that belief a belief in the Biblical god? Or is it fuzzy--a belief in "something"?"
I could say to you glorydaz....You do have an active disbelief in Allah, because you were created with the knowledge of Allah IN YOU. You did not believe..... etc etc or Vishnu or Zeus or Flying Spaghetti Monster

glorydaz

You do have an active disbelief in God, because you were created with the knowledge of God IN YOU.

Interesting. Is that belief a belief in the Biblical god? Or is it fuzzy--a belief in "something"?

Absolutely a belief in our Creator God. When we look at the world around us, we recognize His handiwork. We understand quite well that no man could have ever created such things as stars, oceans, or mountains. We marvel at the wonder we, ourselves, are.

Romans 1
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:​

But, when we reach a certain age, we get too smart for our own britches, and start imagining how else the things around us could have come into being. We even start thinking some big bang occurred or we climbed out of a slimey pond and became birds then apes then man. We became fools while professing ourselves to be wise.

Romans 1
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,​

glorydaz

Jonahdog has an excellent point-"Interesting. Is that belief a belief in the Biblical god? Or is it fuzzy--a belief in "something"?"
I could say to you glorydaz....You do have an active disbelief in Allah, because you were created with the knowledge of Allah IN YOU. You did not believe..... etc etc or Vishnu or Zeus or Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yes, you could say anything you like to me, but what I have said is supported by the word of God.