biblical meaning of death

way 2 go

biblical meaning of death,sorry humanist it is not annihilation .

Gen_2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Mat 8:22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

dead yet still alive as it is spiritual death

Joh 5:40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

Joh 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

alive yet needing life.

Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Act_10:42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

2Ti_4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:

there are two kinds of people according to the bible the living and the dead to Jesus

Luk 16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

Luk_16:31 He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

some of the dead people will not be convinced.

Jerry Shugart

EXACTLY!

It is a "spiritual" death which is in view in the following verse:

"And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins"
(Eph.2:1).​

In The Pulpit Commentary we read that "the death ascribed to the Ephesians in their natural state is evidently spiritual death, and 'trespasses and sins,' being in the dative seems to indicate the cause of death - 'dead through your trespasses and your sins' (R.V.)."

From this we can understand that a person dies spiritually as a result or because of his own sin. That can only mean that all people enter the world spiritually alive. After all, in order to die spiritually a person must first be alive spiritually.

way 2 go

EXACTLY!

In The Pulpit Commentary we read that "the death ascribed to the Ephesians in their natural state is evidently spiritual death, and 'trespasses and sins,' being in the dative seems to indicate the cause of death - 'dead through your trespasses and your sins' (R.V.)."

From this we can understand that a person dies spiritually as a result or because of his own sin. That can only mean that all people enter the world spiritually alive. After all, in order to die spiritually a person must first be alive spiritually.
:think:
not the best verse , have any others .

(ESV) And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
(KJV) And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
(KJV+) AndG2532 youG5209 hath he quickened, who wereG5607 deadG3498 in trespassesG3900 andG2532 sins;G266
(LITV) and you being dead in deviations and sins,
(MKJV) And He has made you alive, who were once dead in trespasses and sins,

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Psalm 6:5 and similar verses indicate that death is the complete absence of life
Perhaps at first glance. But read it again, keeping in mind that this is poetry, and not prose.

Return, O Lord, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks? - Psalm 6:4-5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm6:4-5&version=NKJV

Remembrance has the idea of thinking about something from the past, and in this case, before one was dead. No one can give thanks for something they don't have any recollection of...

David is crying out to the Lord, asking Him to "deliver [him]" from death, so that David can be in God's presence, and contrasting deliverance with, not death, but separation!

Death is merely separation.

Physical death is separation from one's body, and spiritual death is separation from God.

Jerry Shugart

not the best verse , have any others .

"And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses"
(Col.2:13; ASV).​

In Vincent's Word Studies we read the following about the verse: "In your sins...the dative is instrumental, through or by."

In regard to the dative being instrumental we read the following:

"The Instrumental Dative: Expressing the idea of means, agent, cause, manner or instrument, indicating that by/with which the action of the verb was performed."

way 2 go

Physical death is separation from one's body, and spiritual death is separation from God.

one way spiritual death was described in the old testament was cut off.

Gen_17:14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."
Exo_4:25 Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it and said, "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!"

marhig

Gen_2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Mat 8:22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

Joh 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

alive yet needing life.

Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Act_10:42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

2Ti_4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:

there are two kinds of people according to the bible the living and the dead to Jesus

Luk 16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

Luk_16:31 He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'"

Yes there is spiritual death, which is to be separated from God and dead until we are awakened and the Spirit brings us from death to life.

But there is also death to self, once we are alive in God we should be dead to our old ways, and dying daily as we turn from sin and the ways of the world by the power of the Holy Spirit as he helps us to overcome the world. Dying yet living as Paul puts it.

2 Corinthians 6:9

As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;

And it's by this death that we glorify God, because as we die to self, the love of God and life of Christ can be seen in and through us. Those who love this world and live after the flesh are still spiritually dead and don't know the power of the resurrection. Those who do, live by the will of God and truly follow Jesus and they bring forth the fruit of the Spirit and they walk not in the ways of the world, they turn from sin and abide in the goodness of God as they walk in the Spirit being alive in God. For this world has nothing in God's true people as they are not of the world, because they live to please the living God and do his will.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

alive yet needing life.

I said
This one might help you also.

[1Ti 5:6
[6] But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.

Truster

alive yet needing life.

Obviously it was meant of spiritual death, but also that Adam would by the decay that sin produces become subject to mortality and that he and all that would spring from him would be mortal.

beloved57

EXACTLY!

False statements nowhere in scripture.

oatmeal

Perhaps at first glance. But read it again, keeping in mind that this is poetry, and not prose.

Return, O Lord, deliver me! Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave who will give You thanks? - Psalm 6:4-5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm6:4-5&version=NKJV

Remembrance has the idea of thinking about something from the past, and in this case, before one was dead. No one can give thanks for something they don't have any recollection of...

David is crying out to the Lord, asking Him to "deliver [him]" from death, so that David can be in God's presence, and contrasting deliverance with, not death, but separation!

Evidently, you have not read it for what it says.

You would rather read into it to suit your preferred meology

If death is not really being dead, then Jesus Christ did not die for our sins and there is therefore no need to be raised from the dead.

therefore you have in one fell swoop discarded vast amounts of scripture.

Poor you,

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Evidently, you have not read it for what it says.

You would rather read into it to suit your preferred meology

If death is not really being dead, then Jesus Christ did not die for our sins and there is therefore no need to be raised from the dead.

Of course death means you're dead. But man is not just physical. There is a spiritual component to man, one that cannot be killed. Yes, when someone dies in this "life" they are well and truly dead, their body no longer has life. But theor soul/spirit is still alive, either in hell, because he was never released from the chains of sin, which constantly pull one towards hell, with the only thing keeping his soul/spirit on earth being his body now gone, or in heaven, because Christ had freed him from those chains, and his spirit, now freed, could ascend unconstrained, because his body no longer held him to the earth.

When scripture talks about the resurrection, its ALWAYS talking about a person's body, not his soul/spirit.

therefore you have in one fell swoop discarded vast amounts of scripture.

Poor you,

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TestedandTried

alive yet needing life.

The word death has a few meanings and one discovers this meaning by reading in context or rather discerning via context.