:scripto:. . Psalmist

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NUMBER 2

NUMBER 2

:madmad:
Sorry for post number five, I have had tough breathing day, it was a momentary frustration.

Calvinism: Logical yet not biblical
Arminianism: Illogical and not biblical
Open Theism: Logical and biblical

Talk amongst yourselves. :D

SERIOUSLY​

Which has the larger group of adherent's

1) Calvinism

2) Arminianism

3) Open Theism​

What is the drawing card of each.

If you had to choose ONLY one of these three, and if you had a full knowledge and understanding of each, which would you choose, and why.

Which for would has the best platform (doctrine) for standing and state.

That's​
- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which has the larger group of adherent's
Probably Arminianism.

If you had to choose ONLY one of these three, and if you had a full knowledge and understanding of each, which would you choose, and why.
Open theism of course. It's the only biblical, logical and rational option.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Talk amongst yourselves. :D

Calvinism: Not Biblical because of the election/predestination/reprobate flaws.

Arminianism: Not Biblical becasue of faith + works, and anti-OSAS.

Open Theism: Not Biblical because it takes away the omniscience of God, and other attributes of God.

In other words: None of the above

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Open Theism: Not Biblical because it takes away the omniscience of God, and other attributes of God.
Hogwash. Open theism does no such thing.

Open Theism gives proper biblical meaning to the word omniscience, and Open Theism accurately describes God's attributes that are actually in the Bible (not the made up ones that theologians inevent).

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hogwash. Open theism does no such thing.

Open Theism gives proper biblical meaning to the word omniscience, and Open Theism accurately describes God's attributes that are actually in the Bible (not the made up ones that theologians inevent).

Knight:

I purchased “The Plot” almost 2 weeks ago (I still have not received it yet), will read it, and hopefully understand what OT is. I probably should not comment anymore on it until then. From the little I do know about it, I stand by my statement that it compromises God’s omniscience. We will see if I still think that way after reading the book. In the meantime is there any website to read some kind of outline, explanation, creed, mission statement, etc. explaining exactly what Open Theism is.

Not to sound critical, but OT seems to be some kind of constantly changing theology. I can’t find two sites that say the same thing. I understand there are variances in denominations. Calvinism for example has different beliefs within itself. Two Calvinists can have almost completely different belief systems, yet both call themselves Calvinists. Is this the same with OT?

So what’s the deal with open theism? Where can I go to read exactly what it is, where it came from, etc.?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight:

I purchased “The Plot” almost 2 weeks ago (I still have not received it yet), will read it, and hopefully understand what OT is. I probably should not comment anymore on it until then. From the little I do know about it, I stand by my statement that it compromises God’s omniscience. We will see if I still think that way after reading the book. In the meantime is there any website to read some kind of outline, explanation, creed, mission statement, etc. explaining exactly what Open Theism is.
The Plot isn't about Open Theism.

Not to sound critical, but OT seems to be some kind of constantly changing theology.
Uh... how so? :idunno:

I can’t find two sites that say the same thing. I understand there are variances in denominations. Calvinism for example has different beliefs within itself. Two Calvinists can have almost completely different belief systems, yet both call themselves Calvinists. Is this the same with OT?
Probably so, ultimately the question is as follows....

Is the future settled in advance?

Or....

Is the future open and not yet settled?

How would you answer?

So what’s the deal with open theism? Where can I go to read exactly what it is, where it came from, etc.?
The best place to read about Open Theism is right here on TOL. Does God Know Your Entire Future?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Is the future settled in advance?

Or....

Is the future open and not yet settled?

How would you answer?

Is the future settled in advance? For God yes. For us yes, and no

Is the future open and not yet settled? For God no. For us yes, and no.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is the future settled in advance? For God yes. For us yes, and no
It's either settled or it's not. It can't be both.

If it's settled for God, then it's settled.

However, that isn't what God's word says. God says there REALLY is room for repentance in ALL MEN, and that He desires that ALL MEN come to Him. If the future is settled in advance for God then it would be irrational for Him to desire an outcome that is different from what He knows to be settled in advance.

God_Is_Truth

Assuming Arminianism here means Classical Arminianism including simple foreknowledge, I guess it's not one of the options. Otherwise it's just a type of Arminianism.

William Lane Craig is left out then. Not that I agree with him, but he's a well known Christian apologist.

Abykale

Calvinism and Arminianism are complete soteriological systems, while OVT is just a position on God's foreknowledge. Sort of a weird comparison.

Calvinism: Logically consistent, philosophically problematic (incompatible with an all-good God), blatantly unbiblical

Arminianism: some logical problems, some trouble reconciling with the real world (not everyone gets a fair chance to believe, ideas like the "age of accountability" are ad hoc, etc), somewhat Biblical

Open Theism: logical, possible philosophical problems (regarding the nature of time; if time is a created thing like the physical universe, then God should be atemporal and the future closed), few Biblical problems (Jesus' premonitions in John?)