Catholic Answers Focus: Indulgences

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum

1471 What is an indulgence?

"An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints."

"An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due to sin." The faithful can gain indulgences for themselves or apply them to the dead

Primer on Indulgences

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I do not understand purgatory. The sacrifice of Christ cleanses all sins.
A key thing to remember is that purgatory is only for the saved. Only those who are judged for heaven may enter purgatory. Those who are damned do not get any second chance.

If I was to boil it down to a couple of simple sentences, I would say this:

On earth we are sinners and imperfect, yet the Bible says that no sin can enter heaven. Ergo, between death and heaven there must be a final purification. Call it what you want: We call it purgatory

Purgatory is a process, not a place. And it is different for everyone because everyone has a different amount of cleansing coming because of the sins they committed on earth.

When we are judged, we can only be judged for Heaven or Hell. That's all, Heaven or Hell. If you are judged for Heaven, then your will be "purged" of all imperfections before entering. This purging is done by the Fire of God. As the Bible says:

For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire (Corinthians 3:11-15).

He himself will be saved, but only as through fire. Thats it in a nutshell.

Right Divider

Body part
A key thing to remember is that purgatory is only for the saved. Only those who are judged for heaven may enter purgatory. Those who are damned do not get any second chance.

On earth we are sinners and imperfect, yet the Bible says that no sin can enter heaven. Ergo, between death and heaven there must be a final purification. Call it what you want: We call it purgatory

Purgatory is a process, not a place. And it is different for everyone because everyone has a different amount of cleansing coming because of the sins they committed on earth.
This doctrine is evil. It appears nowhere in scripture.

One of the circumcision apostles speaks to his brethren about what Christ did for them.
1Jn 1:7 KJV But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Paul tells US (the body of Christ) that WE are ALREADY seated in heavenly places.
Eph 2:5-7 KJV Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; ) (6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: (7) That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Note the PAST TENSE nature of this scripture.

Paul says that ALL of our trespasses HAVE been forgiven and YET Romanists claims that we must still be punished for that which is ALREADY FORGIVEN.
Col 2:13 KJV And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
God will NOT punish people for sins that He has ALREADY FORGIVEN.
When we are judged, we can only be judged for Heaven or Hell. That's all, Heaven or Hell. If you are judged for Heaven, then your will be "purged" of all imperfections before entering. This purging is done by the Fire of God. As the Bible says:

For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire (Corinthians 3:11-15).

That scripture is talking about REWARDS and NOT punishment for sin.
1Co 3:14-15 KJV If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. (15) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Reward or loss... NOT PUNISHMENT.

Last edited:

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I do not understand purgatory. The sacrifice of Christ cleanses all sins.

Bradley, let's ignore the ranting interloper. Did my post make sense?

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I understand what purgatory is about. But for me Jesus' Sacrifice cleanses us of all sins. No need for prugatory.

I agree. Jesus' Sacrifice cleanses us of all sins.

Answer this though:
1. On earth we are sinners and imperfect.
2 The Bible says that nothing unclean can enter heaven

So you tell me: What is it that happens between the moment of death and the entrance into heaven that gets rid or our imperfections.

Right Divider

Body part

Answer this though:

So you tell me: What is it that happens between the moment of death and the entrance into heaven that gets rid or our imperfections.
If "Jesus' Sacrifice cleanses us of all sins" what cleansing is left to do? It would certainly appear that you do not agree that "Jesus' Sacrifice cleanses us of all sins" if you think that there is more cleansing needed.

Please QUOTE the Bible so that we can see that scripture you are talking about.

What happens at the moment of death is that the believer goes to immediately be with the Lord.
2Co 5:8-10 KJV We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. (9) Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. (10) For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
Paul does NOT show any "period of purgatory" when he explains being absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. The judgment seat of Christ is NOT purgatory.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I understand what purgatory is about. But for me Jesus' Sacrifice cleanses us of all sins. No need for prugatory.

Answer this though:

I am not sure how this thread morphed into a Purgatory thread @Bradley D but see if this helps:

(and there's more HERE)