Copyright traps on maps

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Map maker publishers will intentionally place the names of streets, settlements, and even cities that do not (and never did) exist on their maps.
Why?
As a copyright trap.
After all, maps were expensive to chart out accurately.
But to copy a map others had already done all the work on would be cheap!!!!

Here's an example:

Map showing a city named Agloe in Delaware County, New York.
Agloe never existed.
It was a fake name of a non-existing town added by the map maker.

th

If anyone else copied their map and sold it as a map they had made, this would be the copyright trap that would prove they copied and sold the map as their own.

Very clever.

Hoping

Banned
Map maker publishers will intentionally place the names of streets, settlements, and even cities that do not (and never did) exist on their maps.
Why?
As a copyright trap.

Here's an example:

Agloe never existed.

th

If anyone else copied their map and sold it as a map they had made, this would be the copyright trap that would prove they copied and sold the map as their own.

Very clever.
Is this somehow theologically important?
Or just a break from the norm?

Derf

It is never OK to lie.
If someone copies your map, take them to court.
How can you prove the map is your design when you go to court if everything on the map is exactly what's there in real life--making both maps of identical content? You do realize it was taking the copier to court that caused this conversation to be started in the first place, right?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
How can you prove the map is your design when you go to court if everything on the map is exactly what's there in real life--making both maps of identical content? You do realize it was taking the copier to court that caused this conversation to be started in the first place, right?
Have to admit, it's a pretty clever and simple solution to a looming problem.

way 2 go

It is never OK to lie.
sometimes its OK to lie , depends on circumstances

From 1940 to 1944, Corrie ten Boom and her family used their home in the Netherlands as a hiding place for Jews who were fleeing the Nazis.​

1Ki 22:22 And the LORD said to him, ‘By what means?’ And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’

Right Divider

Body part

From 1940 to 1944, Corrie ten Boom and her family used their home in the Netherlands as a hiding place for Jews who were fleeing the Nazis.​

1Ki 22:22 And the LORD said to him, ‘By what means?’ And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’
In a world where humans sin, sometimes the best choice is the lesser to two evils.

Hoping

Banned

It might be OK if you are a lying spirit, but we are men.

way 2 go

so would you be the informer ?

The ten Boom family joined the Dutch resistance after Germany invaded the Netherlands in 1940. Guided by their religious beliefs, they quietly funneled desperate Jewish refugees to safety. But in 1944, an informer would send the Nazis straight to their door.

Derf

What about women?

Exodus 1:15-21 (KJV) 15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one [was] Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah: 16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see [them] upon the stools; if it [be] a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it [be] a daughter, then she shall live. 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive. 18 And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children alive? 19 And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women [are] not as the Egyptian women; for they [are] lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them. 20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people multiplied, and waxed very mighty. 21 And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he made them houses.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why?
As a copyright trap.

Here's an example:

Agloe never existed.

th

Very clever.
Although it's a clever idea, copyright is bad law. In general.

Hoping

Banned
so would you be the informer ?
I am a man who loves my neighbors as I love myself.
I would not inform, even if I was aware of something of that nature.
The ten Boom family joined the Dutch resistance after Germany invaded the Netherlands in 1940. Guided by their religious beliefs, they quietly funneled desperate Jewish refugees to safety. But in 1944, an informer would send the Nazis straight to their door.
I wonder which religions advocates killing, contrary to my God's commandments.
Helping people escape doesn't need to include murdering anyone.

Hoping

Banned
What about women?

Exodus 1:15-21 (KJV) 15 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one [was] Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah: 16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see [them] upon the stools; if it [be] a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it [be] a daughter, then she shall live. 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive. 18 And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children alive? 19 And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women [are] not as the Egyptian women; for they [are] lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them. 20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people multiplied, and waxed very mighty. 21 And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he made them houses.
Pre-Law, so no condemnation would be applied for it by God.
It is written..."Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin." (Rom 3:20)