Fake news: Gobbled up by conservatives, debunked by liberals

Jose Fly

We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned

A lot of fake and misleading news stories were shared across social media during the election. One that got a lot of traffic had this headline: "FBI Agent Suspected In Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead In Apparent Murder-Suicide." The story is completely false, but it was shared on Facebook over half a million times.

We wondered who was behind that story and why it was written. It appeared on a site that had the look and feel of a local newspaper. Denverguardian.com even had the local weather. But it had only one news story — the fake one.

So they tracked the guy down and he agreed to an interview.

During the run-up to the presidential election, fake news really took off. "It was just anybody with a blog can get on there and find a big, huge Facebook group of kind of rabid Trump supporters just waiting to eat up this red meat that they're about to get served," Coler says. "It caused an explosion in the number of sites. I mean, my gosh, the number of just fake accounts on Facebook exploded during the Trump election."

Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.

Huh....imagine that. :think:

At any given time, Coler says, he has between 20 and 25 writers. And it was one of them who wrote the story in the Denver Guardian that an FBI agent who leaked Clinton emails was killed. Coler says that over 10 days the site got 1.6 million views. He says stories like this work because they fit into existing right-wing conspiracy theories.

"The people wanted to hear this," he says. "So all it took was to write that story. Everything about it was fictional: the town, the people, the sheriff, the FBI guy. And then ... our social media guys kind of go out and do a little dropping it throughout Trump groups and Trump forums and boy it spread like wildfire."...

...We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.

I think this is going to be an emerging theme in the coming months and years....Trump voters were duped and conned, both by their candidate and their information sources. But as I've seen for years in my debates with fundamentalists, I doubt it will make any difference to them. As this election showed, their loyalty is virtually unshakable.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The Fake news story is the story about Fake news. There is no Fake news!! Thats a stupid lie, believed by idiots (yes, that's you) meant to cover up the news' own ineptitude. You crawled out of your hole to post this nonsense? Crawl back.

Greg Jennings

I think this is going to be an emerging theme in the coming months and years....Trump voters were duped and conned, both by their candidate and their information sources. But as I've seen for years in my debates with fundamentalists, I doubt it will make any difference to them. As this election showed, their loyalty is virtually unshakable.

In some Eastern European countries, young people figured out that they could make money by creating predominately pro-Trump sites, onto which they spread information. Three such sites are TrumpVision365.com, USConservativeToday.com, and DonaldTrumpNews.co, but there are many more.

Some of that information was very very false. But that doesn't matter as long as you are racking up the clicks on your site, so the advertisers will pay you.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The Left can't do anything without extreme bias. Take CNN for example- one would think that a news channel which the whole country watches, would be bit objective on THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, but instead they sung dirges and acted like the country just lost a war.

There's nothing American about them- Leftist ideology is a virus that is alien to this country and you see it in many ways. For example, an true American upholds and venerates the Constitution- these folk simply tolerate it because they have to and manipulate it where they can.

ClimateSanity

Honestly the left are like a bunch of kim jong un followers with hillary pictures in their rooms that they worship in their safe spaces.

Fake news right here boys

The left doesn't need so called fake news. Most of the news organizations out there give all the left needs and more to keep their notion of reality well fed.

They recognize real left wing propaganda and can spot a fake a mile away.

Right wingers on the other hand have only a handful of news sites to give them stories not covered in the MSM and stories covered by the MSM but not given the extreme twisting of the MSM.

We have plenty of true stories to show just what a criminal scumbag Hillary is and if a fake news organization claims something criminal in nature, it's certainly not far fetched and confirms what we already know.

So, McFly, before you go patting yourself on the back for a supposedly higher level of scepticism, compare the left wing news context versus the right wing news context. It's comparing apples and oranges.

You guys also buy every story put out by the MSM and most of them can be debunked. I don't necessarily mean bare facts; I mean the spin put on those facts and the facts conveniently left out of the story.

These tactics are used to create an impression and it is almost always a false impression. One of those impressions was that Trayvon Martin was a small teenage boy, innocent and out for no nefarious purposes was harassed by a white man who hated blacks.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Should we have voted for your candidate: Hillary R. Clinton, the most honest human being on planet earth?

Jose Fly

It's amazing how the responses from conservatives demonstrate the main point of this story, especially the very first response from CC..."there is no fake news".

Yep, that's how it works....you write up 100% fake news stories that play to conservatives' bias, and conservatives, who are in complete denial that fake news even exists, will eat it up "like red meat" and spread it far and wide....while you sit back and rake in the ad revenue.

"Useful idiots" seems to be the most apt term here.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
You gotta love the fact that the "Gatekeepers" otherwise known as journalists (I use that term very loosely) are being rejected, their version or spin of the news is being rejected by the masses, and the so-called journalists are wringing their hands. They did it to themselves, nobody believes anything that comes through mainstream sources anymore, the advent of the internet, Twitter, Facebook and other sorts of media coupled with the overt inherent bias of network & cable news sources has left them persona non grata to the masses. It is awesome isn't it? The gatekeepers are DOA because nobody is listening anymore.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It's amazing how the responses from conservatives demonstrate the main point of this story, especially the very first response from CC..."there is no fake news".

Yep, that's how it works....you write up 100% fake news stories that play to conservatives' bias, and conservatives, who are in complete denial that fake news even exists, will eat it up "like red meat" and spread it far and wide....while you sit back and rake in the ad revenue.

"Useful idiots" seems to be the most apt term here.

I guess the same could be said for those who push the "Fake News" or "Spin" as it is called upon every story instead of reporting facts without bias. Really, if Conservatives or Liberals demand truth in media both sides, that would include "useful Idiots" on the left, will both have to strive to detach themselves from their bias when reporting news. To say that the "useful idiot" paradigm only exists in conservative circles as it relates to the news is just a lie that you are telling yourself, because disinformation is problem from both sides, that I can admit.

Greg Jennings

It's the left wing nut liberals that love fake news !!

They do, but according to the stats conservatives bought into fake news at a much higher rate.

I'm a conservative, too. But I also know that a lot of us are quick to agree to news that we like rather than check its veracity

Greg Jennings

Honestly the left are like a bunch of kim jong un followers with hillary pictures in their rooms that they worship in their safe spaces.

Fake news right here boys

Take VICE off that list right now. You don't have a clue what you speak of. They do great and gutsy reporting, going to places that 99% of journalists wouldn't.

I watched one where a young woman spoke directly to a very anti-woman Muslim imam in Iran (I think it was Iran) and asked him some tough questions while he was telling her "women like you should be beaten, or killed."

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

F
ake News Central - CNN - is doing a special on fake news. LOL!!! Oh the irony. CNN and MSNBC are the biggest bunch of hacks, frauds, liars, propagandists, race-baiters and fear-monger to ever try to pass themselves off as "news".

CyNKiQuWQAAwASc.jpg