His People He foreknew !

beloved57

Rom 11:1-2

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,

Now who are this people God foreknew ? Its all His People He foreknew in Christ, those Chosen in Him before the world began, whether jews or gentiles. Jesus their redeemer was foreknew for them specifically as their redeemer 1 Pet 1:18-20

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

The word foreordained proginōskō is the same word for foreknew in Rom 11:2

These people God chose in union with Christ before the foundation of the world Eph 1:4

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

The prep in denotes "inclusion within"

So His People He foreknew are those who He chose in Him who was the foreknew, foreordained one, their redeemer who would be in time manifested for them.

Those Whom God foreknew, His People, had a Eternal Union with Christ, by His own doing !

beloved57

His People He foreknew were appointed heirs in Him and with Him; and we were loved as personally considered in Him. He was the comprehending Head in whom were embraced all the members.

Christ as the Head of Election, was appointed Head heir of all things Heb 1:2

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

By Eternal Union with Christ, the foreknown ones were Co Heirs with Christ having been Chosen in Him Rom 8:17

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs[Union] with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Remember these[joint-heirs with Christ] are the same ones Paul says a few verses later Rom 8:28-29

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

So His People He foreknew Rom 11:2 were Joint Heirs with Christ Rom 8:17 and this before the foundation, For Christ made the Worlds, and He was their Head then Col 1:17-18

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Prov 8:22

22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

beloved57

FOREKNOWLEDGE OF HIS PEOPLE

So what does it mean when it says “For whom God foreknow Rom 11:2 ?” “Foreknowledge 1 Pet 1:2” is the Greek word from which we get the word “prognosis.” Prognosis is a judgment made beforehand.

Before the foundation of the world, God made a judgment of his people. God took delight in his people Prov 8:31, in Christ. In eternity, God accepted of his people in Christ his Son [Eph 1:6]. God’s foreknowledge of his people is God’s peculiar, merciful, pleasure in his people.

It is because in the mind and purpose of God, when He chose us in his Son [Eph 1:4], knowing the end of what he would do from the beginning. God’s satisfaction with his people, His foreknowledge of us His everlasting love [Jer 31:3] and favor in us is because in the mind and purpose of God we were conformed to Christ, it was done in Christ.

Rom 8:29

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

. Foreknowledge is God “knowing” His people intimately , loving them distinctly, accepting them in Christ, in the mind and purpose of God in eternity. 2 Tim 1:9

9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

It is this knowledge God did not have of those who will hear these words Matt 7: 23

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

beloved57

FOREKNOWLEDGE OF GOD

By Nick Bibile

Here’s the million dollar question. On what basis did God save us?

Romans 8:29

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

Many believe that God looked into the future and saw who would believe in Christ, and those who believed God predestined and elected them. This is not true.

If this is true then salvation is not of God but of man, because God has to act on man’s belief.

The Greek word for foreknowledge is proginosko. And it is never used in connection with an action of the person but to the person.

God did not elect you because he foresaw of your repenting and believing. It is true that God knew that some would repent and believe on him, but that is not what the scripture is referring to God’s foreknowledge.

Let us look some scripture on foreknowledge and it will be very clear to you that the word foreknowledge refers to the persons and not to their works.

Acts 2:23 "Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain" (Peter is not speaking of God’s foreknowledge of the action of crucifixion, but the person that is Christ being crucified: "HIM (Christ) being delivered…"

Romans 8:29 "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Whom he foreknew referring to persons and not referring to their actions on what they did)

God did not elect us because he foreknew, but the truth is he foreknew because he elected us. First God chooses, that is, he unconditionally sets his favor on whom he will, then destines them for their glorious role in eternity

1 John 4:19

We love because he first loved us.

John 15:16

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit…..

Jeremiah 1:5

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

and before you were born I consecrated you;

I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Beloved, God loved us not because of our actions, God loved us first, then comes our actions.

Beloved from the beginning to the end, salvation is all God’s work.

Remember we saw yesterday we were dead in sin, we didn’t have the power to rise, but we saw it was God who raised us from our sins, because of his great mercy.

Also we saw salvation is a gift, It is all from God and all the glory goes not to man but to God alone!

beloved57

One writer [D.Fortner] shared four things from scripture about Gods foreknowledge:

1. God’s foreknowledge is his act and decree of FOREORDINATION. We are not left to guess and speculate about this. The very same Greek word which is translated “foreknowledge” in verse two is translated “foreordained” in verse twenty. (1 Peter 1:20) “Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.”

2. God’s foreknowledge of his elect is his EVERLASTING LOVE for us in Christ. (Jeremiah 31:3) “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” (John 17:23) “I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”

3. Divine foreknowledge is DIVINE APPROVAL. (Psalms 1:6) “For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.” (Ephesians 1:6) “To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.”

4. God’s foreknowledge of us is our INFALLIBLE SAFETY AND SECURITY in Christ. (2 Timothy 2:19) “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”

DAN P

One writer [D.Fortner] shared four things from scripture about Gods foreknowledge:

1. God’s foreknowledge is his act and decree of FOREORDINATION. We are not left to guess and speculate about this. The very same Greek word which is translated “foreknowledge” in verse two is translated “foreordained” in verse twenty. (1 Peter 1:20) “Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.”

2. God’s foreknowledge of his elect is his EVERLASTING LOVE for us in Christ. (Jeremiah 31:3) “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” (John 17:23) “I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”

3. Divine foreknowledge is DIVINE APPROVAL. (Psalms 1:6) “For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.” (Ephesians 1:6) “To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.”

4. God’s foreknowledge of us is our INFALLIBLE SAFETY AND SECURITY in Christ. (2 Timothy 2:19) “Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”
And in Matt 13:35 Jesus spoke to Israel of things ( from/apo ) , from the foundation of the world ,

while Paul says that , just we He chose us for Himself in Him ( before / pro ) the overthrow of the world .

It seems that we are chosen before Israel .

Imseem2 different groups here without a doubt .

dan p

beloved57

(2) Another word is foreknowledge.19 This word does not refer to a mere foreknowledge whereby God has prior knowledge of all things, including the end of men. “Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world” (Act 15:18). It rather refers to a foreknowledge characterized by love and delight. In this manner, Christ is referred to as “the Elect of God,” stating that He “was foreordained before the foundation of the world” (1Pe 1:20). In like manner, “the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous” (Psa 1:6), and “the Lord knoweth them that are his” (2Ti 2:19). Believers are therefore called “elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father” (1Pe 1:2). It signifies election itself. “God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew” (Rom 11:2); “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate” (Rom 8:29). This foreknowledge is contrasted with not being known, that is, being rejected. “I never knew you” (Mat 7:23); “I know you not” (Mat 25:12). By Wilhelmus à Brakel

Derf

(2) Another word is foreknowledge.19 This word does not refer to a mere foreknowledge whereby God has prior knowledge of all things, including the end of men. “Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world” (Act 15:18). It rather refers to a foreknowledge characterized by love and delight. In this manner, Christ is referred to as “the Elect of God,” stating that He “was foreordained before the foundation of the world” (1Pe 1:20). In like manner, “the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous” (Psa 1:6), and “the Lord knoweth them that are his” (2Ti 2:19). Believers are therefore called “elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father” (1Pe 1:2). It signifies election itself. “God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew” (Rom 11:2); “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate” (Rom 8:29). This foreknowledge is contrasted with not being known, that is, being rejected. “I never knew you” (Mat 7:23); “I know you not” (Mat 25:12). By Wilhelmus à Brakel
You just can’t be sure which category you’re in until judgment day. Are you foreknown? Or never known? The never-knowns all thought they were foreknowns, until they were judged.

beloved57

About Foreknowledge:

Ephesians 1:4 says, "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world". Men often go to great lengths and contrive explanations as to why the doctrine of unconditional election cannot be true. They will twist and turn its meaning into a form which is more palatable to the fleshly mind, by misusing scriptural terminology, in essence denying that such a doctrine is true except in a very limited sense. The most common explanation of election by those who despise the thought of a sovereign, electing GOD, is to cast it at the feet of GOD's foreknowledge. The two chief verses which are generally used in this so called explanation are found in 1 Peter 1:2 "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, " and Romans 8:29; "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of HIS Son. " No one can deny that election is according to the foreknowledge of GOD for the scripture plainly says as much. The scripture says"Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." We know that HE is omniscient and omnipresent so it is a rather elementary truth that HE knows the things that will occur before they transpire. Those who wish to explain away GOD's sovereign choice of an elect people, set forth HIS foreknowledge as a simple act of the omniscience of GOD looking down through time to find out what would occur; as if the world was wound up like a big toy and then let loose to run whatever course it may take. Their concept denies the very truth of the fact that GOD is an absolute Sovereign. GOD does not look through time to see future events so that HE might be aware of what is going to occur. Rather the LORD plainly says, "Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it." GOD is not a reactionary. HE is a sovereign predestinator of all events. "I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." HE knows the end from the beginning because HE declares what will take place and leaves nothing to blind chance or fate. Even the minutest of details are in the hands of this Sovereign; whether it be the results of a game of dice. "The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD." or the number of hairs on a mans head. GOD's choice of an elect people is truly based on HIS foreknowledge because HE decreed all things to come to pass exactly as HE desired them. The "determinate counsel and foreknowledge" of GOD are inseparable truths. Where you find one you will always find the other. GOD knows beforehand what will occur because HE marks out what will occur and no one can overturn it. The LORD JESUS CHRIST came into the world for a specific purpose, which was to “save his people from their sins." In order for HIM to save HIS people, HE had to have a people. HE died a substitutionary death for them. In order for HIM to die a sinner's death it was necessary for HIM to be taken by wicked men and slain according to the purpose of GOD as HE revealed in the Prophets, that it would be done. On the day of Pentecost Peter preached the glorious truth of the predestination of every event which brought JESUS CHRIST to die in our stead and take upon HIMSELF our sin. GOD is never bound to use any sort of means in any thing that HE undertakes to do, but HE has revealed very plainly in this matter that HE used the wickedness of these Jewish zealots to deliver HIS only begotten SON up to be slain. HE directed and used the wickedness of Judas to betray HIM into the hands of those who would drive the nails in HIS feet and hands. Every hammer blow and every lash of the whip along with the hands which would hold those instruments of torture, was determined before the foundation of the world by HIM who loved HIS people with an everlasting love. "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.””Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts.”

Piece by Mike Mcinnis https://media-cloud.sermonaudio.com/text/81721213753709.pdf

Derf

About Foreknowledge:

Ephesians 1:4 says, "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world". Men often go to great lengths and contrive explanations as to why the doctrine of unconditional election cannot be true. They will twist and turn its meaning into a form which is more palatable to the fleshly mind, by misusing scriptural terminology, in essence denying that such a doctrine is true except in a very limited sense. The most common explanation of election by those who despise the thought of a sovereign, electing GOD, is to cast it at the feet of GOD's foreknowledge. The two chief verses which are generally used in this so called explanation are found in 1 Peter 1:2 "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, " and Romans 8:29; "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of HIS Son. " No one can deny that election is according to the foreknowledge of GOD for the scripture plainly says as much. The scripture says"Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." We know that HE is omniscient and omnipresent so it is a rather elementary truth that HE knows the things that will occur before they transpire. Those who wish to explain away GOD's sovereign choice of an elect people, set forth HIS foreknowledge as a simple act of the omniscience of GOD looking down through time to find out what would occur; as if the world was wound up like a big toy and then let loose to run whatever course it may take. Their concept denies the very truth of the fact that GOD is an absolute Sovereign. GOD does not look through time to see future events so that HE might be aware of what is going to occur. Rather the LORD plainly says, "Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it." GOD is not a reactionary. HE is a sovereign predestinator of all events. "I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." HE knows the end from the beginning because HE declares what will take place and leaves nothing to blind chance or fate. Even the minutest of details are in the hands of this Sovereign; whether it be the results of a game of dice. "The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD." or the number of hairs on a mans head. GOD's choice of an elect people is truly based on HIS foreknowledge because HE decreed all things to come to pass exactly as HE desired them. The "determinate counsel and foreknowledge" of GOD are inseparable truths. Where you find one you will always find the other. GOD knows beforehand what will occur because HE marks out what will occur and no one can overturn it. The LORD JESUS CHRIST came into the world for a specific purpose, which was to “save his people from their sins." In order for HIM to save HIS people, HE had to have a people. HE died a substitutionary death for them. In order for HIM to die a sinner's death it was necessary for HIM to be taken by wicked men and slain according to the purpose of GOD as HE revealed in the Prophets, that it would be done. On the day of Pentecost Peter preached the glorious truth of the predestination of every event which brought JESUS CHRIST to die in our stead and take upon HIMSELF our sin. GOD is never bound to use any sort of means in any thing that HE undertakes to do, but HE has revealed very plainly in this matter that HE used the wickedness of these Jewish zealots to deliver HIS only begotten SON up to be slain. HE directed and used the wickedness of Judas to betray HIM into the hands of those who would drive the nails in HIS feet and hands. Every hammer blow and every lash of the whip along with the hands which would hold those instruments of torture, was determined before the foundation of the world by HIM who loved HIS people with an everlasting love. "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.””Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts.”

Piece by Mike Mcinnis https://media-cloud.sermonaudio.com/text/81721213753709.pdf

Are you saying foreknows because He ordains, or He ordains because He foreknows?

If He foreknows because He ordains, then He is the author of sin.

beloved57

Divine Foreknowledge

Acts 2:23

If you would understand the meaning of the word "foreknowledge" as it relates to God, you must consult the Bible, not a dictionary. The meaning of the word is determined by the Holy Spirit's usage of it. Here are four things the Bible teaches about God's foreknowledge.

1. IN THE BIBLE THE WORDS "KNOW", "KNOWLEDGE", AND "FOREKNOWLEDGE" MEAN MUCH MORE THAN "AWARENESS OF", WHEN THEY REFER TO GOD. Though the word "foreknowledge" is not used in the Old Testament, the word know is often used to describe God's gracious favor of and affection for his people (Ex. 33:17; Deut. 9:24; Jer. 1:5; Amos 3:2). This word, "know", is used in the same way in the New Testament (Matt. 7:23; John 10:14; I Cor.8:3; II Tim. 2:19). God's knowledge of his elect is his special, distinguishing love for them.

2. GOD'S FOREKNOWLEDGE IS NEVER RELATED TO EVENTS, THINGS, OR ACTS, BUT ALWAYS TO PEOPLE. God the father foreknew Christ as our Surety and Substitute (Acts 2:23). And he foreknew his elect as his sons in Christ (Rom. 8:28-30; 11:2; I Pet. 1:2). In every place where foreknowledge is mentioned, it refers not to what people would do, but to people themselves. In every place the word "foreknowledge" means "foreloved", "foreordained", "foreaccepted", and "foreapproved".

3. THE BASIS OF GOD'S FOREKNOWLEDGE IS HIS OWN ETERNAL DECREE.
God's foreknowledge is not the cause of his decree, but just the reverse. His decree is the cause of his foreknowledge. God's foreknowledge of Christ as our Substitute was the result of his determinate counsel that Christ be our Substitute (Acts 2:23).His foreknowledge of us as his sons was the result of his decree of election by which he purposed to make us his sons (Rom. 8:28-30).

4. DIVINE FOREKNOWLEDGE IS A SOURCE OF GREAT COMFORT AND CHEER TO GOD'S PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD. If foreknowledge were nothing but what God foreknew we would do or be by our own free-will, what comfort could we find in it? Thank God, it is not so. But when we understand, according to the scriptures, that God's foreknowledge is his immutable love and approval of us in Christ, our hearts rejoice (II Tim. 2:19). Those whom God foreknew he will never cast away (Rom. 11:2). In the midst of great trial our hearts are sustained by God's foreknowledge (Nah. 1:7). We rejoice in our knowledge of God. But our hope and confidence is in God's foreknowledge of us.

Don Fortner​

beloved57

Are you saying foreknows because He ordains, or He ordains because He foreknows?

If He foreknows because He ordains, then He is the author of sin.
God foreknows because He predestinated it. When you say author of sin what do you mean ?

Derf

God foreknows because He predestinated it. When you say author of sin what do you mean ?
If God wanted sin to happen, and He made sure it did (predestination) without having to know what other agents were going to do, then God authored, or purposefully caused, sin. If God is the author of sin, then either sin is ok with Him (His character is not righteous), or there is no such thing as “sin”, because the word translated “sin” means to “miss the mark”, but if everyone sins in accordance with God’s wishes, then everyone is actually hitting the mark.

beloved57

If God wanted sin to happen, and He made sure it did (predestination) without having to know what other agents were going to do, then God authored, or purposefully caused, sin. If God is the author of sin, then either sin is ok with Him (His character is not righteous), or there is no such thing as “sin”, because the word translated “sin” means to “miss the mark”, but if everyone sins in accordance with God’s wishes, then everyone is actually hitting the mark.
Gods purpose is the first cause of sin. I already discussed this issue before, this thread is about Gods foreknowedge. I have another thread about God being the first cause of sin:

Derf

Gods purpose is the first cause of sin. I already discussed this issue before, this thread is about Gods foreknowedge. I have another thread about God being the first cause of sin:

So you're saying God is the first cause, but not the second or third or fourth cause? Yet whoever those causes are, aren't they caused to be exactly like they are by God? Didn't God make Satan to rebel, in your view? If not God, then who? Is Satan able to decide to rebel all by himself?